Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.4” Snow/0.11” L.E.

There was definitely some settling of last night’s snow during the overnight period – it was evident in the smooth nature of the surface of the snowboard stack, and this morning’s snow density is twice what it was last night.  Even after settling though, the snow is still fairly dry, coming in at a 15 to 1 ratio.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.9 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 15.0

Snow Density: 6.7% H2O

Temperature: 18.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 8.5 inches

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There's at least 4" of new outside, even after settling overnight.  Winter wonderland.  

We got lucky right in the core of the frontoband.

Very cool. To me it felt like a warning event eventhough it was about halfway there LOL.  Looks like we will miss the next one after the storm of death but have to watch around the 12th and 13th (would be a double low transferring to the coast as opposed to the coveted Miller A). We stand at least a solid shot of this not being a sub 40 inch winter here lol.

Hi all - 

Stressing on the impact of tonight/tomorrow's thaw on Stowe/Jay/MRG - planing to ski Fri-Sat-Sun.  Tim Kelley's update says things will be fast....which sounds like natural trails and woods might be doomed....We're tempted to postpone this trip - long drive to ski groomers for three days - but thought I would get opinions from folks up there right now.

Second question - we're thinking of maybe driving north Friday to get above the thaw point - which might be impossible.  Anyone been to Owl's Head? 

Thanks, and enjoy the winter.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Hi all - 

Stressing on the impact of tonight/tomorrow's thaw on Stowe/Jay/MRG - planing to ski Fri-Sat-Sun.  Tim Kelley's update says things will be fast....which sounds like natural trails and woods might be doomed....We're tempted to postpone this trip - long drive to ski groomers for three days - but thought I would get opinions from folks up there right now.

Second question - we're thinking of maybe driving north Friday to get above the thaw point - which might be impossible.  Anyone been to Owl's Head? 

Thanks, and enjoy the winter.

I do think it'll be fast...it's going to be buried but the surface might take a hit.

It will depend on how much is sleet vs rain/freezing rain.

I'd have a better idea tomorrow once it plays out tonight.

14 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Unfortuntely the system for the 9th will be a miss and bring warning snows to the south once again. The ghosts of last year LOL.

I'm closer on the fringe than you are to that event, but still frustrating that another 12"+ event might transpire to the south and east. 

Pattern looks active, so maybe there will be a warning event somewhere in there for ALB area and CPV...and for me too :)

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

I'm closer on the fringe than you are to that event, but still frustrating that another 12"+ event might transpire to the south and east. 

Pattern looks active, so maybe there will be a warning event somewhere in there for ALB area and CPV...and for me too :)

Right now the best hope is the one at the start of next week but even that may be tainted.

What a f'in powder binge its been.  Almost need it to stop snowing so I can catch my breath.  Every day.

8" now in last 24 hours at 3,000ft. 

59" in 13 days.

This is at around 2,200ft...even the mid-slope hardwoods are absolutely buried.

16665681_10102855545825140_8272892601830

Even lower near 1,700ft near Lower Switchback in a popular drainage that has a summer hiking trail nearby.

Like four feet on the ground down low.

16487229_10102855553599560_2946804749369

It just keeps falling.  Holy crap this is going big.  Triple digits at the stake here we come and we are only about halfway through the snow season on Mansfield.

16665356_10102855564338040_8647497637066

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

What a f'in powder binge its been.  Almost need it to stop snowing so I can catch my breath.  Every day.

2 hours ago, eyewall said:

Once again we will end up with more snow from the non-advisory event than the advisory one.

Whoa, I thought that first system was done as of this morning, but apparently it wasn’t.  I just checked the web cam and there’s another couple of inches down after clearing it at observations time.  That puts the event at over 4 inches at this point, so like eyewall said, we could end up with more accumulation from the forerunning clipper than the one for which the Winter Weather Advisory is posted.  This next event will probably have more total liquid though.

32 minutes ago, ApacheTrout said:

It's less painful when you recognize that there will not be any warning snows this year.  It's okay to move on.

Yeah I am leaning in that direction which would mean a record 1000 days of futility. At least these advisory level events are nice for occasional wintry appeal and the ski conditions are good :).

25 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah I am leaning in that direction which would mean a record 1000 days of futility. At least these advisory level events are nice for occasional wintry appeal and the ski conditions are good :).

Advisory events are great as mood music.  Burlington was beautiful today.  I love that the northern Greens are getting thumped fairly regularly with moist upflow, as it's great for the ski areas, which in turn is great for the state economy.  I'd like to see the Killington area cash in on one of those upflow events.  JHeck, I might even go skiing if Pico had 10 inches of fresh powder.

But here in the southern end of the CPV, forget about it.  Put away the sleds.  Hang the snowshoes back up on the wall.  There will not be another 10 inches of snow the remainder of February, and less than 5 inches total combined in March and April.  I don't care what sexy legs Tip or any met sees on the 10-day or two-week look ahead.  It'll cut west or stay offshore. 

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I do think it'll be fast...it's going to be buried but the surface might take a hit.

It will depend on how much is sleet vs rain/freezing rain.

I'd have a better idea tomorrow once it plays out tonight.

Wonder how much though, brief period of sleet followed by at least 2-4 on the mountain with more incoming. 

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Looks like pingers are here. Total junk storm and now we'll get SNE's sloppy seconds on Thursday. 

Ha!  Pingers here too.  Very yellow band on the radar heading north into the southern end of the CPV. 

As far as sloppy seconds, that's gross, but entirely accurate.  Well said :)

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Whoa, I thought that first system was done as of this morning, but apparently it wasn’t.  I just checked the web cam and there’s another couple of inches down after clearing it at observations time.  That puts the event at over 4 inches at this point, so like eyewall said, we could end up with more accumulation from the forerunning clipper than the one for which the Winter Weather Advisory is posted.  This next event will probably have more total liquid though.

Did you see that radar band earlier today?

I was on the mountain so couldn't post it...but it was as narrow a band as I've ever seen...going from NY to NH about 5-10 miles wide with up to 30dbz pixels in the center.  Very bizarre.  Looked to be in your area down to Camels Hump.

Archived