Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

Event totals: 4.1” Snow/0.25” L.E.

Snowfall from the upper-level shortwave passing to our north finished up today, ending at 0.25” total liquid equivalent for the event.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.14 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 12.1

Snow Density: 8.2% H2O

Temperature: 25.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 10.0 inches

The larger system passing to our west is now affecting the area, and I’ll pass along an update on that one next.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 0.7” Snow/0.06” L.E.

Snow from the low pressure system passing to our west started up this afternoon, 5:00 P.M. observations are below. There's actually been some decent snowfall this evening with another 0.6” on the board.

Details from the 5:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.7 inches

New Liquid: 0.06 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 11.7

Snow Density: 8.6% H2O

Temperature: 25.5 F

Sky: Light Snow (2-10 mm flakes)

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Did you see that radar band earlier today?

I was on the mountain so couldn't post it...but it was as narrow a band as I've ever seen...going from NY to NH about 5-10 miles wide with up to 30dbz pixels in the center.  Very bizarre.  Looked to be in your area down to Camels Hump.

No, it’s a bummer that I missed that because I certainly would have saved a radar grab, but I was busy inside a lot of the time today.  I wasn’t really expecting much in terms of snow before later in the afternoon or I would have at least checked my web cam on my phone earlier.  Eventually I had some time and got to my laptop and was flummoxed at first to see a couple of inches there.  My first impulse thought when that happens is that I forgot to clear it in the morning, but that was fleeting because I know I cleared all the boards this morning.  Anyway, I considered that to be part of the upper-level shortwave and ahead of the current mixed storm, so it brought that event to 4.1” Snow/0.25” L.E., which is pretty nice for a little upper-level shortwave.

I know this doesn't thrill some but it seems to me that this week will be a net game in terms of snow otg and that to me is a positive. Would love to have a big event but am fine accumulating it in smaller bursts. As they say, by any means nescessary. 

Yeah that is a good way to look at it as this pattern is not going to yield a big one for us.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Event totals: 1.7” Snow/0.34” L.E.

Snow gradually mixed with and changed over to sleet this evening, and that’s what’s been accumulating for the past couple of hours.

Details from the 11:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.0 inches (snow/sleet)

New Liquid: 0.28 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 3.6

Snow Density: 28.0% H2O

Temperature: 26.6 F

Sky: Sleet

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.54” L.E.

As far as I can tell from the analysis of the overnight accumulation and snowpack, there’s been no freezing rain or rain at our location up to this point, just sleet.  It was actually quite pleasant at the house this morning with the fresh accumulation, temperatures a bit above freezing, and partly cloudy skies.  The driveway has got a lot of liquid equivalent in it now - I think this storm was the one that finally put it over the top and I’m going to have run the snowthrower through it instead of just packing it down.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches (sleet)

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.5

Snow Density: 66.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

1 minute ago, J.Spin said:

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.54” L.E.

As far as I can tell from the analysis of the overnight accumulation and snowpack, there’s been no freezing rain or rain at our location up to this point, just sleet.  It was actually quite pleasant at the house this morning with the fresh accumulation, temperatures a bit above freezing, and partly cloudy skies.  The driveway has got a lot of liquid equivalent in it now - I think this storm was the one that finally put it over the top and I’m going to have run the snowthrower through it instead of just packing it down.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches (sleet)

New Liquid: 0.20 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 1.5

Snow Density: 66.7% H2O

Temperature: 34.5 F

Sky: Partly Cloudy

I was thinking the same thing this morning as it took me two runs to get through the top of the driveway.  Anyway, at some point we did get some freezing rain because there is a crust on the snow.  When the dog woke me up at 3:15 and proceeded to get tangled, I got scalped pretty good by the sleet that was pounding down.  I think that what we had earlier got compacted by the sleet/freezing rain because it looked at one point like we were closing in on 6" only to have 4"-5" this morning.  That was from both rounds of precip.

10 hours ago, mreaves said:

I know this doesn't thrill some but it seems to me that this week will be a net game in terms of snow otg and that to me is a positive. Would love to have a big event but am fine accumulating it in smaller bursts. As they say, by any means nescessary. 

While it doesn’t look nearly as nice west of the mountains (looks like the snowpack is a sloppy inch or two at the Richmond Village elevation), along and east of the mountains what we actually just got was a fairly decent event – over a half inch of liquid all in frozen form is a real boon to the snowpack.

23 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Believe it or not we didn't lose our snow cover here. If it drops below freezing quick enough we would preserve a little but we shall see. We still have 8-10 more hours above at least.

Actually, I’d say the snowpack here on the UVM campus could be a bit better than what I saw in the Richmond area.

11 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Actually, I’d say the snowpack here on the UVM campus could be a bit better than what I saw in the Richmond area.

My boss lives in Hinesburg and he was commenting on that this morning.  He goes from full coverage here to virtually nothing through Richmond/Jonesville buck to snowcover at his house.  There is quite a gradient to the snow cover here in Washington County too.  Monday night at our county snowmobile club meeting, the Bolton club was despondent about the lack of snow on their system, which does not get particularly high in elevation.  The other clubs to the north and east are moving towards somewhat normal operations, though with still thin conditions in the valleys.

Final was 2.7" Sn/Ip combo with .81 LE along with .55" of rain. So 1.37" total precip.

Another frustrating storm in that the QPF was there, but just couldn't cash in.  Had 1.4" liquid in the 1/24 storm  too and only mustered 5.9"

Don't recall ever having a 6" sleet pack, which is pretty much what I have now.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Believe it or not we didn't lose our snow cover here. If it drops below freezing quick enough we would preserve a little but we shall see. We still have 8-10 more hours above at least.

Will it really be a "snowpack" at that point?  Does white ice = snow? Cause that is what we're going to have tomorrow AM. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

My boss lives in Hinesburg and he was commenting on that this morning.  He goes from full coverage here to virtually nothing through Richmond/Jonesville buck to snowcover at his house.  There is quite a gradient to the snow cover here in Washington County too.  Monday night at our county snowmobile club meeting, the Bolton club was despondent about the lack of snow on their system, which does not get particularly high in elevation.  The other clubs to the north and east are moving towards somewhat normal operations, though with still thin conditions in the valleys.

I hated living in Jonesville...that place downslopes off everything possible.  SE flow was brutal in events like this off Camels Hump.  Its a full 4,000ft ride downslope into Richmond on SE flow.

J.Spin would be gettin 1"/hr snows and I'd be getting flurries with 50mph wind gusts like 5 miles away.  Only did that for one winter then moved to Stowe.

Classic ESE flow downslope on the west side...with upslope on the east side.

Stowe CoCoRAHS guy had 0.68" melted while the west side had 0.10-0.11". 

precip.gif

Now this one is confusing...I've been seeing more snow than the CoCoRAHS guy in town lately but then this morning only really had 1.5-2" of sleet but he came in with 3.5".

snow.gif

Depth is definitely different from west to east too.

depth.gif

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Classic ESE flow downslope on the west side...with upslope on the east side.

Stowe CoCoRAHS guy had 0.68" melted while the west side had 0.10-0.11". 

Now this one is confusing...I've been seeing more snow than the CoCoRAHS guy in town lately but then this morning only really had 1.5-2" of sleet but he came in with 3.5".

Depth is definitely different from west to east too.

Under that current thinking you think I would have had some issues with SE flow downslope, but I ended higher than most spots (1.37") and close to Ludlow (1.48") which can get porked on SE Flow. I had more than a bunch of East Slopes Spots. I honestly cant completely figure it out. 

2017&cp=0

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

I want to apologize to Brian for stealing his winter storm watch.  That GYX map shows why they need to split counties.  How is northern and western Merrimack county in a WSwatch while southern Belknap has nothing?  Almost meteorologically impossible in this set up.

I'm in Merrimack by about a half mile. ;)

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Under that current thinking you think I would have had some issues with SE flow downslope, but I ended higher than most spots (1.37") and close to Ludlow (1.48") which can get porked on SE Flow. I had more than a bunch of East Slopes Spots. I honestly cant completely figure it out. 

2017&cp=0

Interesting...maybe it just wasn't as pronounced downthere for some reason or the wind profile was slightly different?  

Very clear trend in NVT though it seems.

Archived