• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
CWG 2016-17 Winter Outlook

Deck Pic

This isn't me bashing your prediction, because I truly appreciate reading every single one, but why even attempt giving a number prediction of snowfall?  Seems like an easy target for others to call you wrong.  Last year, I think y'all were pretty accurate, except for Snowzilla.  Take away the 20-30" from that one storm, and you did a good job.  However, other people will just point at the overall numbers and say "you're wrong".  

Just now, NovaTarHeel said:

This isn't me bashing your prediction, because I truly appreciate reading every single one, but why even attempt giving a number prediction of snowfall?  Seems like an easy target for others to call you wrong.  Last year, I think y'all were pretty accurate, except for Snowzilla.  Take away the 20-30" from that one storm, and you did a good job.  However, other people will just point at the overall numbers and say "you're wrong".  

Much of this is media driven, and for better or worse snowfall amounts are expected, and what people look at.  It is low confidence obviously...

23 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

Much of this is media driven, and for better or worse snowfall amounts are expected, and what people look at.  It is low confidence obviously...

Grading someone on the snowfall part of a winter outlook for the MA is pretty dumb. When you live in an area where a single event or two can be the difference of a disaster or boom year it incorporates too much plain luck and chaos into the mix. How can anyone or anything like a computer model pinpoint discreet events with accuracy right? It's not possible. 

Odds play into it sometimes of course. Like mod nino years. They have consistently proven to carry the best chances at above normal snow around here. Outside of that random chaos takes over. Temps are the real skill point of a forecast but snowfall is always scrutinized more. Much more it seems. 

22 hours ago, Isotherm said:

Nice work. Your outlook is the closest I have seen to mine thus far. I'm 9 to 14 inches for DCA with DJF temps +0.5 to +2. Also have a near neutral AO with +NAO. Quite a bit more divergence than usual in outlooks this year, with high bust potential. Should be interesting.

Yes, I noticed that too when looking more closely at my main analogs - 80-81 and 83-84.  The gap between the AO and NAO, which is much more likely to affect us at our latitude rather than 40N.  Cold and dry, storm tracks to the west.  Without west-based blocking and/or a 50-50, a -AO can only do so much for the MA.

Archived