Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I'm starting to think that might be the best shot at something... wave 2 is just to far South to hope for any meaningful change for us. Amazing that we go from cutters to a SC\NC storm. Although nothing is really showing up right now maybe we can score something on the heels of the cold relaxing. Admittedly it looks pretty bleak after our 5-6 day cold shot, but models seem to just perpetuate the existing pattern in the longer ranges so another flip to cold might be sooner than it currently appears. I'm hoping we can get a +PNA at some point.

It looks like the small 1st wave is going south as well. It looks like with this pattern our best bet is usually to get a Clipper system come down from the Northwest and give us that overproducing 2-4 inch snow. 

This sniped from NWS Facebook page... if you don't laugh you'll cry "Here I am stuck in the middle with you"

Colder temperature and snow shower potential return Wednesday. The better chances for accumulating snow will be north of Interstate 80 on Wednesday, and south of Interstate 70 on Thursday.

The Thursday first wave doesn't really have a lot of upside, but if it can end up further North than currently modeled it can't hurt. Hopefully we all have at least an inch or 2 on the ground for our 4-5 day cold stretch. After that it looks like heights really start pumping in the east again from the 11th on with a PAC flow into western Canada.

gfs_z500a_nhem_45.png

Only slight glimpse of hope is that towards the end of the run maybe the signs of a +PNA, but who knows. I'll live with another warm stretch if we can get another cold shot and maybe a chance at another storm before Jan ends.

gfs_z500a_nhem_53.png

4 hours ago, jwilson said:

I still think any storm on the weekend will come north of where it is currently projected.  That's a persistent trend and how often does Norfolk, VA end up as the bullseye in a snow storm?  The question will remain, of course, whether it is anything to write home about.

Hampton roads has been in or close to the bulls eye several times in the past few years. It is true that they very rarely get double digits, but its not in a bad place to cash in on southern stream sliders.

4 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

gfs_asnow24_us_5.png

Seems like there have been some marginal improvements with this. Seems reasonable to expect 1-2, if it continues maybe a widespread 3. It's a shame this winter has everyone crawling around begging for scraps but you take what you can get. Should make for a wintry feel to the weekend anyways.

8 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Seems like there have been some marginal improvements with this. Seems reasonable to expect 1-2, if it continues maybe a widespread 3. It's a shame this winter has everyone crawling around begging for scraps but you take what you can get. Should make for a wintry feel to the weekend anyways.

I think we will see more improvement as we get closer.  My concern though for 1st wave is RGEM is very dry.  Gotta watch that low on the coast for the 1st wave and hopefully keep it closer and slightly stronger.  We are always begging for scraps.  Hoping for over performer adding another inch or 2 to totals...  Always have to take what we can get until our storm comes 600 hours away... ;) 

1 hour ago, Ryd10 said:

So even though this winter has sucked, it looks like we are right where we should be. 

Yeah, if we manage to pull 2-3 out of this upcoming thing we are pretty much average.. I think all the negativity is a combination of post holiday depression and watching the deep south get a bigger snow storm than us to this point, then sprinkle on the fact that after the little cold spell things don't look conducive for more snow.

Archived