joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a little bit of zr this morning, but mainly just a cold miserable rain.

Looks like 1-2 inches for anyone outside the favored lake areas from this evening through Saturday morning unless you get under a band. Then back into the 50s Monday and Tuesday with rain before getting cold by the end of the week. Hopefully we can get something out of the cold window that is coming in because I doubt it is very long lasting. This pattern seems like every time we get a decent precip maker its warm and we rain but who knows, maybe I'm just in a bad mood because this is the first time in 10 years I have worked any days between Christmas and New Years. :lol:

2 hours ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

I had a little bit of zr this morning, but mainly just a cold miserable rain.

Looks like 1-2 inches for anyone outside the favored lake areas from this evening through Saturday morning unless you get under a band. Then back into the 50s Monday and Tuesday with rain before getting cold by the end of the week. Hopefully we can get something out of the cold window that is coming in because I doubt it is very long lasting. This pattern seems like every time we get a decent precip maker its warm and we rain but who knows, maybe I'm just in a bad mood because this is the first time in 10 years I have worked any days between Christmas and New Years. :lol:

Sorry for the pain you have had to endure with work between the holidays....I too feel your pain... :) Not sure if this means anything but was at some friends house in McCandless this week and friend told me about his shed where he found it was stocked with huge mound of about 50 lbs of pine cones. He said at times he did see the squirrels toss the pine cones to the ground from the trees, but he didn't realize they were storing them in his shed.   Lets hope the squirrels are onto something with extended cold this winter.  

41 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Sorry for the pain you have had to endure with work between the holidays....I too feel your pain... :) Not sure if this means anything but was at some friends house in McCandless this week and friend told me about his shed where he found it was stocked with huge mound of about 50 lbs of pine cones. He said at times he did see the squirrels toss the pine cones to the ground from the trees, but he didn't realize they were storing them in his shed.   Lets hope the squirrels are onto something with extended cold this winter.  

I'd like to see one of those verification score charts that includes the squirrels! Their skill can't be much worse than a 384hr GFS map right? lol

2 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Its a ways out, but this is a nice pattern to see on teh GFS. Some blocking showing up over Greenland. Hopefully that locks in some cold air.

46 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Canadian showing transfer storm.  Looks like a similar path from one of our storms in the past... 2010 maybe...:) 

Seems like the GFS \ Euro \ Canadian have some sort of storm for late next week into the weekend, but its anyone's guess what effect if any it might have on our area. That's probably the next window to watch, then my guess is we would relax again then hopefully reload another cold shot.

3 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Seems like the GFS \ Euro \ Canadian have some sort of storm for late next week into the weekend, but its anyone's guess what effect if any it might have on our area. That's probably the next window to watch, then my guess is we would relax again then hopefully reload another cold shot.

My euro subscription is up the 6th. I can't justify the 25$ for constant let down. I still will follow and track the storms but my enthusiasm is dwindling. 

Anyway. The Euro last night showed some precipitation south of us next week. As much as I like strong storms. I would rather see an overrunning event that hits the whole area with a wide swath of snow. 

9 minutes ago, Ryd10 said:

My euro subscription is up the 6th. I can't justify the 25$ for constant let down. I still will follow and track the storms but my enthusiasm is dwindling. 

Anyway. The Euro last night showed some precipitation south of us next week. As much as I like strong storms. I would rather see an overrunning event that hits the whole area with a wide swath of snow. 

The squirrels say you wont be let down... :)

1 minute ago, Ryd10 said:

The squirrels cannot be trusted. 

How dare you question this perfect science...:D

Squirrels gathering nuts in a flurry,
Will cause snow to gather in a hurry.

In addition, a tough winter is ahead if squirrels’ tails are very bushy. 

Squirrels may also bury their nuts deeper than usual. The idea is that these animals can sense impending weather, and are preparing for it.
When a harsh winter is on the way, pine trees produce as many cones as they can  - they somehow “expect” that squirrels and birds on the coming season, and will forage for more pine seeds to stock up ahead of time (you hear this one about other trees too – acorns, walnuts etc).

2 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

How dare you question this perfect science...:D

Squirrels gathering nuts in a flurry,
Will cause snow to gather in a hurry.

In addition, a tough winter is ahead if squirrels’ tails are very bushy. 

Squirrels may also bury their nuts deeper than usual. The idea is that these animals can sense impending weather, and are preparing for it.
When a harsh winter is on the way, pine trees produce as many cones as they can  - they somehow “expect” that squirrels and birds on the coming season, and will forage for more pine seeds to stock up ahead of time (you hear this one about other trees too – acorns, walnuts etc).

I think the squirrels must be constantly drunk around our area because we have a dome that prevents snow. 

Archived