Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh PA Winter 2016-2017

north pgh

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

That is true.  And we rarely get ice storms... :)

I don't know. We don't get anything significant too often, but we seem to get hit with these types of storms a lot in our neck of the woods. These cutters that give us more sleet or freezing rain than any kind of snow. Usually, if we start out as snow, we changeover rather quickly anyway. Didn't get any snow this time before the warm up. Straight to the ice. Just more than usual.

15 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

I don't know. We don't get anything significant too often, but we seem to get hit with these types of storms a lot in our neck of the woods. These cutters that give us more sleet or freezing rain than any kind of snow. Usually, if we start out as snow, we changeover rather quickly anyway. Didn't get any snow this time before the warm up. Straight to the ice. Just more than usual.

I agree that we generally don't get front snow thumps before rain change anymore but we usually don't get many on the back end either. 

I am currently sitting at 35 and still a lot of ice to melt on everything.

15 minutes ago, north pgh said:

I agree that we generally don't get front snow thumps before rain change anymore but we usually don't get many on the back end either. 

There is no ice on anything here now.  It was gone in an instant.

2 hours ago, colonel717 said:

There is no ice on anything here now.  It was gone in an instant.

Lol, I fell asleep and just woke up to everything gone.  

Although my snowpack usually takes a worse beating than most, being vulnerable to S and SW winds. 

It's alright, I have a clean slate for round two tomorrow hopefully. 

Just an anecdotal observation that you guys'll find interesting...

We just went down to Clinton to see the Christmas light display at the park. (Really nice, BTW, and reasonably priced.) Anyway, coming back to Hopewell, I was watching the outside temperature on the car's display. Down by PIT, where the elevation is around 1200, it was as high as 54. Where we got off 376 at the Aliquippa exit, which is down in a valley, the elevation is around 850. It was 42. Back up on Brodhead Road, where the elevation is back around 1000, the temp was back up to 50.

1 hour ago, Digger said:

We just went down to Clinton to see the Christmas light display at the park. (Really nice, BTW, and reasonably priced.) Anyway, coming back to Hopewell, I was watching the outside temperature on the car's display. Down by PIT, where the elevation is around 1200, it was as high as 54. Where we got off 376 at the Aliquippa exit, which is down in a valley, the elevation is around 850. It was 42. Back up on Brodhead Road, where the elevation is back around 1000, the temp was back up to 50.

Yes.  We drove back from Pittsburgh this evening and the temperature fluctuated from 50s to low of 36 around the Camp Horne exit up and down all the way home.  The ground fog over the cold snow looked like a big fog machine in places.  It was flowing about 2 feet above the ground.  A crappy night to be driving.

i just had the dog out and I swear I saw a flash of lightning in the distance.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 12.27.55 AM.png

Can confirm the lightning strikes everyone is seeing. Ive seen a few myself. It really has been a crazy few days. We started the day friday in the single digits, had an ice storm over night, have thunderstorms happening tonight, will see snow tomorrow and back in the chiller by monday.  Its been a good weekend

24 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Can confirm the lightning strikes everyone is seeing. Ive seen a few myself. It really has been a crazy few days. We started the day friday in the single digits, had an ice storm over night, have thunderstorms happening tonight, will see snow tomorrow and back in the chiller by monday.  Its been a good weekend

I haven't looked outside, but I actually just popped on here to ask about the possibility of thunderstorms since we have so much warm air here ahead of the cold air coming in. Clashing of air masses is producing a lot of storms and the possibility of tornadoes down south.

Yeah, that's what I said in a separate post. There's usually no moisture left to give us much of anything. This doesn't look to be any different right now. Unless we get a nice surprise off the lakes, once the winds shift, I see us getting very little if any snow on the backend of this. Models usually tend to exaggerate the backend moisture on these cutters. The low, and the bulk of the moisture, is usually long gone by the time the cold air is back in place. Like I said, unless we get something off of the lakes. I don't see much in the way of that yet, at least at this time anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, blackngoldrules said:

Yeah, that's what I said in a separate post. There's usually no moisture left to give us much of anything. This doesn't look to be any different right now. Unless we get a nice surprise off the lakes, once the winds shift, I see us getting very little if any snow on the backend of this. Models usually tend to exaggerate the backend moisture on these cutters. The low, and the bulk of the moisture, is usually long gone by the time the cold air is back in place. Like I said, unless we get something off of the lakes. I don't see much in the way of that yet, at least at this time anyway.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You are correct.  Backend coming through next hour or so and little to no snow showing up.

Maybe it's just bad timing. But it seems like we've been dealing with stubborn warm air in the mid levels for   3 or 4 years now. 

It kills our snow amounts, especially on the back end. And it suppresses any kind of severe thunderstorm development when conditions have been otherwise favorable. 

Mabey I'm wrong, but the last really good widespread  severe event I remember was March 2012.  

46 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Maybe it's just bad timing. But it seems like we've been dealing with stubborn warm air in the mid levels for   3 or 4 years now. 

It kills our snow amounts, especially on the back end. And it suppresses any kind of severe thunderstorm development when conditions have been otherwise favorable. 

Mabey I'm wrong, but the last really good widespread  severe event I remember was March 2012.  

The last good backend event I can vaguely remember was early 2000's.  

30 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

The last good backend event I can vaguely remember was early 2000's.  

Either 07' or 08', the storm that dropped like 2 feet on Columbus. I remember changing over mid day then when the backend started to roll through we switched back and picked up 5 or 6 inches in less than 3 hours. It was pretty intense.

21 minutes ago, SteelCity08 said:

Either 07' or 08', the storm that dropped like 2 feet on Columbus. I remember changing over mid day then when the backend started to roll through we switched back and picked up 5 or 6 inches in less than 3 hours. It was pretty intense.

Does anyone know of a website that has old weather maps thats shows the paths and results of historic storms like this one?

20 hours ago, Digger said:

I used to live right by there. They do a really good job with it, always helps you get into the Christmas spirit. The temperature gradients were very wild yesterday, probably the most memorable part of the storm. My buddy said he left his house in crafton and it was 34, got to greentree less than 10 minutes away and it was 47.

49 minutes ago, colonel717 said:

Wow, how brutal looking is this image into early January...

snod.conus.png

That is pretty brutal.... 00z was a bit more optimistic but I think most of the improvements were after hour 240 so big red flag. We are definitely in a slow period, but I don't think we can say for sure like last Dec it will be a shutout from here on out, there could be something that times right and comes out of nowhere. That said the next 2 weeks look pretty hostile for snow threats. Will be interesting to see where things stand in 10 days, hopefully some improvements start to show up.

Archived