joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 5-8 Severe/Heavy Rain Possibilities

Hoosier

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

funnel clouds being reported as well. nice convergence showing up in low levels right over chicago (E winds at ORD, SSE at MDW) -will likely be a focus for heavy rainers into early evening. 

Could have an interesting situation unfolding in Cook co.  That area of rain is not moving much.

side note: MCVs are my favorite meteorological phenomena because of situations like this. this one has had a surface reflection with it all day that was clearly aiming for chicago. interesting that CAPE was at a relative min over and adjacent to the city. doesn't take much when you have very localized lift.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL  

637 PM CDT THU JUL 07 2016  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0630 PM FLOOD 5 NNW CHICAGO 41.94N 87.68W  

07/07/2016 COOK IL TRAINED SPOTTER  

ABOUT A FOOT OF WATER ON SOME STREETS NEAR DAMEN AVE AND  

MELROSE ST.  

The latest NMM and ARW are still fairly bullish with strong convection re-developing over the next few hours. 

It also has a fairly good handle on the current activity. 

The NMM and ARW have been killing it the past few days (they handled yesterday's convection pretty well also).

side note: MCVs are my favorite meteorological phenomena because of situations like this. this one has had a surface reflection with it all day that was clearly aiming for chicago. interesting that CAPE was at a relative min over and adjacent to the city. doesn't take much when you have very localized lift.

What you described is exactly what happened in Detroit with the August 2014 flood.

With that event, CAPE values never topped 500 J/KG and LIs were only around 0. Despite this, there were several lightning strikes and rumbles of thunder with the torrential rains. 

I am sure you can attest to this, it is absolutely coming down in my neighborhood. Incredible rain rates right now.

Yep. Tons of standing water in the streets and sidewalks.

Winds are picking up as well, so now we're getting the tropical storm feel.

For days it was looking like tonight we would have a raging MCS rolling through the corn belt with widespread high-end severe potential.  Figured the morning garbage could put a dent in the main setup, but never thought it would totally destroy it completely.  What a wussy little setup this turned out to be.  Could end up being good news for the MI/IN/OH peeps, since a raging MCS tonight may have screwed up tomorrow's setup out east.  

EDIT:  fix typos.  Jesus I need to hire an editor lol.

Archived