• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 5-8 Severe/Heavy Rain Possibilities

Hoosier

ECMWF/GFS in better agreement now in general, and it looks like the potential will be there for multiple convective systems moving through the region from the middle of next week and beyond.

Capping will almost certainly be an issue with south/west extent and we will have to see how the models handle this as it gets closer.  This setup will have a lot of instability to tap along with your typical just-good-enough summer shear.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS sounding off by Chicago on the 7th. The potential is there.

12_GFS_126_41.59,-87.3_severe_ml.png

Details aren't super important right now but notice the mid level temps on that forecast sounding.  700 mb looks like near 13C.  There are exceptions but normally I start getting concerned about capping once you get near/over 12C. 

Details aren't super important right now but notice the mid level temps on that forecast sounding. 700 mb looks like near 13C. There are exceptions but normally I start getting concerned about capping once you get near/over 12C.

Yeah at this point I would be looking at northern WI and into MI along the boundary, thermo profile is much better.

Yeah at this point I would be looking at northern WI and into MI along the boundary, thermo profile is much better.

Low predictability pattern for sure, in terms of individual disturbances.  I think farther south is in the game as well but it's more of a battle with the cap as it tries to assert itself. 

Low predictability pattern for sure, in terms of individual disturbances. I think farther south is in the game as well but it's more of a battle with the cap as it tries to assert itself.

The nice thing I am seeing is the area along the warm front is juxtaposed with very high instability and limited capping. If stuff were to go we could be looking at some impressive MCSs

I'm surprised this thread has been so quiet.

There's a lot of potential with this upcoming setup, for most of us in fact. 

I like Friday's potential, and it probably will happen because I will be leaving the area for Toronto that weekend. So the skip zone will move east.

I like Friday's potential, and it probably will happen because I will be leaving the area for Toronto that weekend. So the skip zone will move east.

I wouldn't rule out anything Wednesday or Thursday either. Given the wind flow and that we'll be sitting along the instability gradient, any cold pool MCS could propagate into our area.

fwiw, NMM shows a UH track right thru the twin cities, however storm mode looks to be more linear at the time of passing. 

NMMB is almost always too bullish with precip/storm coverage and thus would tend to turn things linear faster. ARW has a couple of supercells tracking through central MN tomorrow (although I believe that is more for C/W).

NMMB is almost always too bullish with precip/storm coverage and thus would tend to turn things linear faster. ARW has a couple of supercells tracking through central MN tomorrow (although I believe that is more for C/W).

The WRF models seem to be a bit bullish on UH all around, like they were for the last event in N IL.

The WRF models seem to be a bit bullish on UH all around, like they were for the last event in N IL.

The cell in N IL near Earlville on 6/22 certainly generated high UH, the fact that it was HP meant it couldn't concentrate that into a focused area thanks to RFD dominance and thus it didn't produce a major, long-lived tornado when it could've certainly if it was more classic in nature.

Thursday's looking very impressive on the new GFS.  Definitely looks more impressive than last night's Euro, as the Euro lags the mid-level support compared to the GFS, and wind fields below 700 are much more impressive on the GFS.  Euro also has the better instability and low-level wind fields further to the south compared to the GFS.  

The GFS would indicate some decent tor potential as well with a strongly sheared environment from the surface up into the mid-levels, along with favorable vectors.  GFS shows the southern WI/eastern IA/northern IL in the right entrance region of the upper jet, and on the nose of the incoming H5 speed max.  The vort max rolling through Minnesota later Thursday also looks pretty impressive.  

The new NAM looks sort of Euro-ish, and keeps better low-level wind fields further to the south over MO/downstate IL.  Also lags behind with the mid-levels like the Euro.  So the GFS looks like it's on it's own out of these three models.  I'll be curious to see if the new Euro adjusts towards the 12z GFS, or maintains.  If it maintains the GFS may be out to lunch.  Of course we still have a few more days to go, so who knows.  If the GFS comes to fruition we have a very potent little setup on the way for later Thu/Thu eve.

Thursday's looking very impressive on the new GFS.  Definitely looks more impressive than last night's Euro, as the Euro lags the mid-level support compared to the GFS, and wind fields below 700 are much more impressive on the GFS.  Euro also has the better instability and low-level wind fields further to the south compared to the GFS.  

The GFS would indicate some decent tor potential as well with a strongly sheared environment from the surface up into the mid-levels, along with favorable vectors.  GFS shows the southern WI/eastern IA/northern IL in the right entrance region of the upper jet, and on the nose of the incoming H5 speed max.  The vort max rolling through Minnesota later Thursday also looks pretty impressive.  

The new NAM looks sort of Euro-ish, and keeps better low-level wind fields further to the south over MO/downstate IL.  Also lags behind with the mid-levels like the Euro.  So the GFS looks like it's on it's own out of these three models.  I'll be curious to see if the new Euro adjusts towards the 12z GFS, or maintains.  If it maintains the GFS may be out to lunch.  Of course we still have a few more days to go, so who knows.  If the GFS comes to fruition we have a very potent little setup on the way for later Thu/Thu eve.

too much is going to happen convectively tomorrow to put too much stock in individual solutions for thursday but i'd lean towards the euro solution of keeping better support displaced further south.

The SPC singled out the Twin Cities for the potential severe wind event later today. A few cells have already fired out by the SD border. Should morph into a linear line by the time it reaches here. This is the 3rd time we've been in an enhanced risk area this season with nothing to show for it. Let's see if we can break the trend today.

New ECMWF a step in the right direction for those of us further north regarding Thursday's potential.  Still a little slower than the GFS with the short wave.  Given that the slower solutions advertised by the Euro have a tendency to work out I'm leaning in that direction.  Would probably mean a raging MCS rolling across Iowa later Thursday into Thursday evening, and should make it across the MS river, as the LLJ ramps up pretty nicely after sunset over IL.  Any tor potential would probably be early on.  With the strong forcing/weak upper levels things would probably get messy pretty fast despite favorable vectors.  Basically the way SPC has day 3 drawn up looks spot on based on the new Euro.  Should be an interesting evening Thu for eastern IA and northern IL, particularly on the IA side.

The SPC singled out the Twin Cities for the potential severe wind event later today. A few cells have already fired out by the SD border. Should morph into a linear line by the time it reaches here. This is the 3rd time we've been in an enhanced risk area this season with nothing to show for it. Let's see if we can break the trend today.

HRRR consistently with mini bow into the twin cities

HRRR consistently with mini bow into the twin cities

Yeah I will give it props for its consistency. It didn't do well with the morning activity though. Skies now clearing.

Watch coming:

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 1143

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

0119 PM CDT TUE JUL 05 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...NERN SD...PORTIONS OF CNTRL/SRN MN

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 051819Z - 051915Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...TORNADO WATCH WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED SOON TO ACCOUNT FOR

NEWLY DEVELOPING TSTM ACTIVITY OVER SD/MN.

DISCUSSION...CONVECTION IS GRADUALLY DEEPENING AND STRENGTHENING

OVER TRAVERSE/GRANT/STEVENS COUNTY REGION OF MN IN PROXIMITY TO

GREATER LOW-LEVEL CONVERGENCE AHEAD OF SFC LOW. LATEST VIS IMAGERY

SUGGESTS BOUNDARY-LAYER CU FIELD IS EXPANDING ALONG THIS WIND

SHIFT...DRAPED FROM CNTRL MN...WSWWD INTO ERN SD...WEST OF ATY OVER

CLARK COUNTY. EXTREME BUOYANCY ALONG WITH SFC-6KM BULK SHEAR ON THE

ORDER OF 40KT FAVORS SUPERCELL STRUCTURES ALONG THIS CORRIDOR.

TORNADO WATCH WILL BE ISSUED SOON AS THIS ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO

MATURE AND PROPAGATE EWD ACROSS MN TOWARD THE MS RIVER LATER THIS

AFTERNOON/EVENING.

Archived