Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar. 27-31 Severe Threats

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IWX was not on the ball there. Definitely had a severe hail core near Bryan, it's not severe anymore but definitely was for a brief time. Either way the environment north of Findlay is too stable to sustain severe thunderstorms

With the steep mid-level lapse rates, could still see some more severe hail cores pop up (albeit briefly).

Don't need much surface-based instability for those.

I wonder if IWXwx is chasing that nasty hail core just to his SE?

Decent damage being reported out of Huntington County from the hail earlier.

Yes I was chasing. Got in the middle of the hail core near Warren.  We also had a short-lived wall cloud. More later, but here are a couple of pics we took.

At the moment, there are a few spots of medium-VIL and 60dBz reflectivity near Toledo... better VIL than many summertime storms in fact.

Its been a very good day for medium/high-VIL storms. There have been 4 or 5 off the top of my head that would be impressive for the area during the summer, let alone in March.

At the moment, there are a few spots of medium-VIL and 60dBz reflectivity near Toledo... better VIL than many summertime storms in fact.

I notice that the better VILs always tend to show up when we have decent mid-level lapse rates.

Decent mid-level lapse rates, for the most part, haven't been a thing the last few Summers.

What were winds like?

Sorry, I just saw this. The winds were very mild for the most part.  Best I could get from my Kestral was around 20-25 MPH.

I was stuck on the north side/in the core of the storm. Didn't get down there in time for good positioning on the south side. Several of us did witness a wall cloud associated with it before becoming rain wrapped. It was near there where the largest hail fell and may have had stronger winds in that area.

DTW made the same mistake as IWX earlier tonight, no warning in Monroe County even though they got 4 reports of 1 inch hail.

DTX is not the same as DTW.

Besides that, there was only 2 storm reports in DTX's CWA, only 1 of which were from a trained spotter.

And the 1 storm report from the trained spotter was only for hail that was 3/4" in diameter (not 1").

Sorry, I just saw this. The winds were very mild for the most part.  Best I could get from my Kestral was around 20-25 MPH.

I was stuck on the north side/in the core of the storm. Didn't get down there in time for good positioning on the south side. Several of us did witness a wall cloud associated with it before becoming rain wrapped. It was near there where the largest hail fell and may have had stronger winds in that area.

Thanks...was just wondering since that house took a beating in your pic.

Archived