• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 15-16 Possible Mixed Event.

lilj4425

I can certainly buy into the colder temps shown on the hi-res models....but for precip, I'm struggling to buy into good precip south of I-40 until the 2nd half of the storm.  See it again now on the newly released CMC global which has the low west of the apps.

Usually the high res models will pick up on banding and the heaviest area of precip much better than global models though. Once we get inside 48 hours I typically ignore the globals and use only the high res models. A blend of RGEM for precip and nam for warm noses works very well. Once we get in range of the HRRR and RAP tomorrow they'll be helpful too.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the 4km NAM once again trended colder... It now keeps me at 32 or below for the whole event. Also, it is really starting to expand the wedge southward into southern Georgia. Macon, GA may not reach 40 degree's on Monday. One more trend like this one and we're looking at a major ice storm for all of the upstate and northeast georgia.

It even drops the Gainesville area back down to 31 degree's when the final band pivots through.  

Also, It holds the columbia area at 33 degree's all day monday and through monday night.

it has been a while, so dont quote me on this, but this setup reminds me of dec 05...it was cold right before the storm, and as we got closer the temps got colder (the big difference i see right now is that this time for ne ga, anyway, the precip doesnt seem to be a heavy).  that was a super cad lol

Don't we just throw the cmc in with gfs, euro ,ukie into the global laundry basket as well as ensembles. Aside from maybe surface or 5h features and their placement are the big boys good for anything? Or do we go with strictly short range inside 24 or do we blend? I mean there's a line in the sand between these 2 camps now and I wouldn't be prone to weenie out I guess 8f not for the fact we are sitting under the coldest airmass of the year and it's fresh not stale with kickoff set in less than 24hrs.

In other words: All hail KING Euro.

If this is the start of a trend towards the euro then these winter storm watches. Will be gone tomorrow this is the wrong direction if we want winter weather. I'm going to stick with the short range models not the global models and hope for the best.

In other words: All hail KING Euro.

Yes and no.  This stuff is getting a bit old.  The Euro had nearly all of the overrunning precip up in VA (though it's been shiftly subtlely south run by run), which the GGEM and especially the RGEM nailed pretty far out.  The NAM, GFS, and even the 12z UKMET have shifted towards this, and this is where our best snow and sleet chances lie.

The 00z UKMET is south and weaker of its 12z run (similar to GFS with tracking the LP through the NC Piedmont).  Went from 1002 mb over Nashville to 1008 mb over Tuskegee, Alabama at hr 48.  Waiting on precip maps to see how the overrunning does.

Either the math doesn't add up or I expect to see a Flash Flood Watch soon.

If the northern foothills are expected to only see 2-5" of snow and a tenth of an inch of ice then we need a Flash Flood Watch for the remaining precip. Frozen ground, melting, heavy rates, over half inch of rain, will cause serious flooding Tuesday morning.

FWIW,

the 12z NMM and ARW were both very strong/cold with the wedge at the end of their run, (7am Monday). The ARW had heavy precip moving into Georgia already, while the NMM looked more like the GFS with it's precip band way back in Mississippi at 7am.

The 00z runs are starting to come in now...

Yes and no. This stuff is getting a bit old. The Euro had nearly all of the overrunning precip up in VA (though it's been shiftly subtlely south run by run), which the GGEM and especially the RGEM nailed pretty far out. The NAM, GFS, and even the 12z UKMET have shifted towards this, and this is where our best snow and sleet chances lie.

The 00z UKMET is south and weaker of its 12z run (similar to GFS with tracking the LP through the NC Piedmont). Went from 1002 mb over Nashville to 1008 mb over Tuskegee, Alabama at hr 48. Waiting on precip maps to see how the overrunning does.

In other words, a confusing mess. Just give me 70 and Sunny. This system is nothing short of stupid.

Hate I have to flip on full version on this phone to quote.

Anyway big frosty we are under 24 hrs now from start time, it'll go from watching short term models to nowcast radar/obs by the time altar calls are made tomorrow. Hope the overuNing can get in here quick and lock in. Some posters if not alot will be posting snow obs this time tommorow knock on wood.

Archived