• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Winter/Into Spring!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24hr HRRR for tonight... 
post-595-0-50899500-1459709511_thumb.png

Really surprised that BUF hasn't gone with advisories here. It's April sure, but today's snowfall was enough to get snow on the roads and I'd imagine with temps in the 20s all day/night it won't be too much an issue tonight. 

Generally expecting 2-5" here, 4-7" towards BUF-ROC

ok, saw the latest suite of models, and I'm pretty convinced that I-90 in upstate NY and the QEW as well as Highway 6 in Ontario are going to be hit with 6+ with this system (as well as most of you, I am assuming). So, when it comes to private snowplow contractors across upstate NY and Southern Ontario, how many of those crews are still available for plowing, given that a lot of their contracts usually expire at or near April 1? And what about the MTO and NYDot, are their trucks still fully equipped for plowing/salting, or has some of their equipment also been transitioned already for spring? After all, if they aren't totally ready, I wouldn't want to see the rush hours from Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge to the Golden Horseshoe to Buffalo/Niagara, Rochester, Syracuse, and the thruway. has nightmare written all over it, imho.

ok, saw the latest suite of models, and I'm pretty convinced that I-90 in upstate NY and the QEW as well as Highway 6 in Ontario are going to be hit with 6+ with this system (as well as most of you, I am assuming). So, when it comes to private snowplow contractors across upstate NY and Southern Ontario, how many of those crews are still available for plowing, given that a lot of their contracts usually expire at or near April 1? And what about the MTO and NYDot, are their trucks still fully equipped for plowing/salting, or has some of their equipment also been transitioned already for spring? After all, if they aren't totally ready, I wouldn't want to see the rush hours from Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge to the Golden Horseshoe to Buffalo/Niagara, Rochester, Syracuse, and the thruway. has nightmare written all over it, imho.

Thanks for the analysis Jim! According to the Mayor, all city/state plows are still in winter mode. As for private plows, I believe they do contracts by season aside from the plowers that do it by job. IMO Upstate has the best snow removal team out of any major city in the US. I saw bare ground on some of the secondary roads a day after the Snovember storm was over. 

Thanks for the analysis Jim! According to the Mayor, all city/state plows are still in winter mode. As for private plows, I believe they do contracts by season aside from the plowers that do it by job. IMO Upstate has the best snow removal team out of any major city in the US. I saw bare ground on some of the secondary roads a day after the Snovember storm was over. 

good to hear stateside. how about from those over on the other side of the border in Hamilton/Niagara/Toronto/Kitchener-Waterloo? any news from them?

Just perusing some climo stats for BUF.  The months of NOV, DEC, and MAR finished with 1.9 inches of snow, combined.  That's just mind blowing when you think about how many opportunities BUF has to pick up an inch here or there during those months between synoptic precip and lake effect.  I wonder if those 3 months have ever produced less than 2 inches of snow in BUF's history...

Anyway, it looks like we'll end up exceeding the Nov, Dec, and Mar snow totals by about 400% in all of 2 days in April...

They should be prepared. We work with the DOT 2-4x per day up until April 1st, and they were fully aware of the snow threat. I can't imagine they would've transitioned to spring mode in the last couple days. 

Just perusing some climo stats for BUF.  The months of NOV, DEC, and MAR finished with 1.9 inches of snow, combined.  That's just mind blowing when you think about how many opportunities BUF has to pick up an inch here or there during those months between synoptic precip and lake effect.  I wonder if those 3 months have ever produced less than 2 inches of snow in BUF's history...

Anyway, it looks like we'll end up exceeding the Nov, Dec, and Mar snow totals by about 400% in all of 2 days in April...

I haven't looked into the stats but I would say with almost a certainty that April has never received more snow than Nov/Dec/March combined.

Just perusing some climo stats for BUF. The months of NOV, DEC, and MAR finished with 1.9 inches of snow, combined. That's just mind blowing when you think about how many opportunities BUF has to pick up an inch here or there during those months between synoptic precip and lake effect. I wonder if those 3 months have ever produced less than 2 inches of snow in BUF's history...

Closest I can see is 2011-2012

Nov T

Dec 3.8

Mar 1.5

Archived