joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/9-2/10 Inverted Trough/Mini-Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GFS still develops the small coastal storm, but a litlte later than the 0z run. Still, parts of the NYC area receive a few inches of snow on the GFS.

GFS0209201612z.jpg

Source: Tropicaltidbits.com

The GFS still develops the small coastal storm, but a litlte later than the 0z run. Still, parts of the NYC area receive a few inches of snow on the GFS.

GFS0209201612z.jpg

Source: Tropicaltidbits.com

it's already starting to throw moisture back,and my bet is on earlier and intense for a short bit.i'd say n.y.c is in a great spot right now and going by the satellite loop it might want to ride the coastline for the bm.

it's already starting to throw moisture back,and my bet is on earlier and intense for a short bit.i'd say n.y.c is in a great spot right now. and going by the satellites loop it might ride the coastline for the bm.

Sometimes these systems blossom a little late. NYC/adjacent areas of NJ have a chance for the kind of accumulation shown on the GFS. It wouldn't be surprising if some portion of Long Island picked up 6" or more. I think we'll have a better idea this evening when we see if the system is beginning to develop as shown by the GFS or some of the more tame guidance. Having said this, I still think it's premature to write off the event as little more than snow showers or a few bursts of snow. Moreover, some of the earlier guidance showed some decent lift, so QPF figures may not tell the whole story. The soundings should be watched, as well.

Thursday might also be some fun, as there will be the possibility of the kind of 30-minute or so snow squall that could drop a quick half-inch to an inch of snow in some areas as the Arctic front pushes across the region.

Sometimes these systems blossom a little late. NYC/adjacent areas of NJ have a chance for the kind of accumulation shown on the GFS. It wouldn't be surprising if some portion of Long Island picked up 6" or more. I think we'll have a better idea this evening when we see if the system is beginning to develop as shown by the GFS or some of the more tame guidance. Having said this, I still think it's premature to write off the event as little more than snow showers or a few bursts of snow. Moreover, some of the earlier guidance showed some decent lift, so QPF figures may not tell the whole story. The soundings should be watched, as well.

i agree with you 100%,i've been on the more aggressive side of guidance.these patterns usually givith and takith away and it usually balances out for everyone.earlier some people were ready to throw in the towel soo early in the game.lol

This is exactly why you don't swing back and forth on every model run when you are a prof met. The NWS mets saw what they liked after pouring over all data and then applying the science they went to school for at least 4 years on to it. We will see what happens but I like our chances at 2-3" in and around immediate NYC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is exactly why you don't swing back and forth on every model run when you are a prof met. The NWS mets saw what they liked after pouring over all data and then applying the science they went to school for at least 4 years on to it. We will see what happens but I like our chances at 2-3" in and around immediate NYC.

you are correct sir,which is why i don't thread the needles with any model output.i am going back to school for meteorology and atmospheric studies b.t.w,future s.u.n.y oneonta attendee here.  :pimp:

i agree with you 100%,i've been on the more aggressive side of guidance.these patterns usually givith and takith away and it usually balances out for everyone.earlier some people were ready to throw in the towel soo early in the game.lol

These are very challenging situations to forecast. Busts can occur either way, so avoiding the run-to-run model roller coaster can be useful until one gets much closer to the event. So far, there is a slowly expanding area of precipitation across parts of MD, southern PA, DE The air is a little dry across parts of the NYC area, but should gradually moisten up later. Some snow cover would be helpful when it comes to this weekend's Arctic blast, at least if the City is to challenge its record low reading.

Thursday might also be some fun, as there will be the possibility of the kind of 30-minute or so snow squall that could drop a quick half-inch to an inch of snow in some areas as the Arctic front pushes across the region.

Don " IF "  that`s right it`s 6 to 10 on LI ( W to E ) . .50 . 75 there .

.5 in CNJ would be 6 if its right .

Tons of lift here 

Ratio`s go 12 to 1 min / convection poss 

Want to see UKIE before I bite . gfs_z500_vort_neus_5.png

f36.gif

Don " IF "  that`s right it`s 6 to 10 on LI ( W to E ) . .50 . 75 there .

.5 in CNJ would be 6 if its right .

Tons of lift here 

Ratio`s go 12 to 1 min / convection poss 

Want to see UKIE before I bite . 

I agree with this thinking. If things work out, parts of the area could experience a pretty decent snowstorm in a winter with a number of meteorological highlights (historically warm December, January blizzard, NYC's reaching 30" or more seasonal snowfall for the first time on record after having had no measurable snow through December, very likely single-digit cold Sunday morning).

True but yesterday I got an advisory for 2-3" and didnt see a flake

Id be shocked to get 6 inches imby in central Jersey. ..2-3 is best bet if it performs

If the GFI verifies and .5 falls you will get 6 .The issue will be , does .5 fall ? 

Not sure we know yet . The globals  are deeper than the hi res . 

If the hi res are correct you will not get 2 to 3 

Even the Canadian gives you 4

Follow the UKMET IMO  

gem_asnow_us_7.png

From a risk management perspective, I get why the NWS takes the more aggressive approach in an event like this one.  I'm guessing that putting out general 1-2" forecasts for the region, noting that impossible-to-pinpoint areas will likely receive 3-5", would likely be more accurate globally.  This is essentially their model in impossible-to-pinpoint summertime t-storms, where they say something like, "0.1-0.2" of rain is likely, but up to 0.5" is possible in localized t-storms."  Thing is, nobody cares in summer if they get 0.1" vs. 0.5", for the most part, whereas in winter, people scream bloody hell, lol.  

Problem with that approach is anyone who gets the heavier snow will not be "ready" for it, especially if advisories weren't issued, whereas with the approach they've taken, everyone is on alert and if they get 1.5" instead of 3-4" it's not that big of a deal. From a risk perspective, you'd generally rather overwarn so people are aware/ready and have the risk not quite be realized, than to underwarn and have a whole bunch of people surprised (which is when we get things like giant traffic snarls, usually, like the 1" in DC before the blizzard that led to gridlock, as nobody knew it was coming).  

Archived