joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2/9-2/10 Inverted Trough/Mini-Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The science is based on the models. If the models have changed the conditions, the science changes too.

Models should be used for guidance and not "the" forecast. Absolutely, science is in the models. I'm just pointing out that 1 model run should not make one jump off a ledge. There are also other variables outside of QPF that should be considered when making a forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upton says that the models might not be handling the convection well

yeah well we going to be in the thick of it sooner then later,lets hope they make the right call for the evening commute if everything continues on track.the radar is really exploding coming right for us snow.even a more crazier sign of things to come,all the birds are flying away fast lol   :snowing:

this coastal is going to surprise a lot of people today.it has the look of a exploding monster and it's not even the 2nd quarter yet.a nice easterly fetch is really going to help get this precip going,esp right along the coast tonight,and lets not even mention where a baby ccb will form.. 

9z SREF disagrees. In fact, every model disagrees.

Pretty informative. Thanks! Should be fun to watch. I personally like 2-3" for KNYC.

I discovered him during the blizzard. As the storm strengthened that Friday morning, he was pointing out the real time developments that differed from model output.

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

The Euro is a high resolution model, it is capable of picking up inverted troughs, which it did not, not even the hint of one, run after run, that should have been a red flag. In fact, last night it dropped snow amounts even more. I must say, I'm not surprised the GFS, NAM and the other models flipped towards the Euro today

Picked up another coating last night. Wasn't even enough to cover the grass in most spots but I did have to clean off my car this morning. 

These events notoriously have big surprises so I wouldn't be weighting any one particular solution over another at this point.

I think 1-3" is a great call at the moment for pretty much everyone with lollies to 5-6".

The Euro is a high resolution model, it is capable of picking up inverted troughs, which it did not, not even the hint of one, run after run, that should have been a red flag. In fact, last night it dropped snow amounts even more. I must say, I'm not surprised the GFS, NAM and the other models flipped towards the Euro today

The Euro did pick up the IV, it was just weaker and further Southeast which is the route that most of the modeling has gone today. 

Take a look at 700mb on the Euro and you will see that at 18z today it intensifies the 700mb jet overhead. That quickly kicks East, but it's a sign of some stronger lift for a period of time.

Models should be used for guidance and not "the" forecast. Absolutely, science is in the models. I'm just pointing out that 1 model run should not make one jump off a ledge. There are also other variables outside of QPF that should be considered when making a forecast.

If the models moved to 6 inches overnight every weenie here would be hugging them...but then why tossed when they cut back dramatically. .barely a mention of the gfs/nam runs

Archived