joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Forecasts/Disco/Obs

snowman19

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

March will very likely continue the stretch of warmer than normal months. The early month blocking isn't strong enough to offset the shortening wave lengths. Should the blocking break down for the second half of the month, a very warm ending isn't out of the question.

it can't get any warmer than the end of March 1998(or could it)...80 degrees or higher the last five days of March 98...this came after 2-5" of snow on the 22nd...I agree the blocking needs to be stronger or else...

Just an amazing 3 weeks of winter this year from 1/23-2/14 where NYC was able to

score its heaviest one day snowfall total and the first below zero reading since 1994.

Other spots had very close to 40 inches of snow for this short 3 week period.

We have the impressive block over the North Pole to thank for overpowering 

the influence of the raging +NAO pattern. This will go down as the best stretch

of winter ever for such a warm DJF averaging 40 degrees of higher. This is quite a feat

considering that NYC went from the 78-79 to 92-93 winters without reaching

30-40 inches of snow.

Just an amazing 3 weeks of winter this year from 1/23-2/14 where NYC was able to

score its heaviest one day snowfall total and the first below zero reading since 1994.

Other spots had very close to 40 inches of snow for this short 3 week period.

We have the impressive block over the North Pole to thank for overpowering 

the influence of the raging +NAO pattern. This will go down as the best stretch

of winter ever for such a warm DJF averaging 40 degrees of higher. This is quite a feat

considering that NYC went from the 78-79 to 92-93 winters without reaching

30-40 inches of snow.

attachicon.gif500.gif

A 3 week winter when it comes to snowfall.  (assuming the late week threat falls apart)  But what a 3 week stretch it was!

I have KNYC at 40.8 degrees for met winter, without today included, and today should easily be +15 or greater departure.

I believe we are in record territory?

We will definitely finish number 2. We won't quite reach the 41.5 required to tie number one.

I have them at 40.9 going into today but either way they're not getting to 41.5.

Today saw the temperature reach 60° or above for the 16th time during the current meteorological winter. The old record was 12 days, which was set in winter 1990-91 and tied in winter 2001-02. Today was also the 40th day on which the temperature reached 50° or above. The old record was 36 days, which was established during winter 2001-02.

The mean temperature for winter 2015-16 will very likely finish at approximately 41.0°, making it the second warmest on record for New York City.

Why did the back loaded winter fail? What happen to the blocking and -nao everyone was predicting?

It depends on your location. Some spots like JFK were just as back-loaded in the snowfall department as last winter was.

They just needed much less cold and a shorter time period to get the job done.

JFK post January 15th snowfall........14-15.....41.4".......15-16....39.5"

Today saw the temperature reach 60° or above for the 16th time during the current meteorological winter. The old record was 12 days, which was set in winter 1990-91 and tied in winter 2001-02. Today was also the 40th day on which the temperature reached 50° or above. The old record was 36 days, which was established during winter 2001-02.

The mean temperature for winter 2015-16 will very likely finish at approximately 41.0°, making it the second warmest on record for New York City.

Incredible, I will mainly remember this winter for the warmth that was brought with it, assuming we even cash in on Friday, this was a very short winter.

And another horrible month in a depressing winter comes to an end.

Temperatures in February were 2.5 to 3 degrees above normal area wide. Thank God for the Valentines Day cold snap or this would have been a total torch of a month.

2.4 above in CPK, 3.1 at LGA, 2.7 at JFk and 2.5 at Newark

MET winter ends at 41.1, which becomes only the tenth winter ever above 38, the fourth winter ever above 40, and the second ever above 41. We missed setting the all time record of 41.5 in 2001/02 (BTW the worst winter ever), by 0.5 degree.

What concerns me is 3 of the 4 that ended above 40 have all happened since 2001/02.

Winters with averages above 38 were extremely rare until the 1990's, only 5 happened in the first 120 years of records, but these 40+ temp winters are insane and unnatural.

Pretty much like a record setting snowfall winter in Norfolk Virginia.

What a joke this winter was, or better yet wasn't.

That was the last time that i am aware of that an East Coast location went 40/40.

turned out to be a cruel joke given the hype of a great back loaded winter

I still like the blizzard for my location better than any winter storm since the 10-11 winter.

The winter turned out to be just about as back loaded for JFK as last winter was for snowfall.

Why did the back loaded winter fail? What happen to the blocking and -nao everyone was predicting?

Because, as far as I've seen, analog-based seasonal forecasts are not particularly accurate (or worse).  I've yet to see any published data showing anyone doing much better than climatology (unlike, for example, Dr. Gray's tropical season forecasts, which are somewhat better than climo).  I'm happy to be proven wrong on that - is there anyone out there who has predicted national or even regional seasonal forecasts for winter which are significantly better than climatology over at least a 10 year period (anyone can be right for a 2-3 year stretch, just by plain luck)?  

Archived