• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

Yes, this will exceed PD II (or is it III - I'm talking about 2003).   Also exceeds 83, but will not exceed 96, unless this death band we are under now can go all night!   :snowing:

It's really hard to estimate accumulations.  I'm assuming its about 22-23 inches.....and at my age, I cannot be walking through 2 ft of snow after I have spent 90 minutes snow blowing.

PDIII is next month  :whistle:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just eclipsed the 30" mark here in Warminster. This is just nuts. An hour ago I had doubts on getting to 30.8" to eclipse 96 as a personal top snowstorm. Now a look at the radar and there is absolutely no doubt that within the next 90 minutes this will be the largest snow event I ever personally witnessed. Never in my wildest imagination did I EVER think I would see anything comparable to 96 when I was living a stone's throw from Philly International. It will happen tonight. Incredible. And based on radar trends, it may not even be close. Glad I was able to share with all you folks in the Philly subforum!

This storm will far exceed 96 in this area. The only aspect missing was the drifting. I lived in a wide open area then. I live in a valley now and unless the winds are coming from due north or south we are sheltered. I have talked with friends in Northampton Co. Allentown reports 30" major drifting up there. Should end up somewhere around 35" which I thought I would never see unless I moved to Oswego. Snow is so deep its compacting and you can hear it doing so.

Walt posted an RER for PHL for today -

SXUS71 KPHI 232144
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0444 PM EST SAT JAN 23 2016

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET TODAY AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 14.7 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA TODAY,
JANUARY 23RD 2016.  THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11.9 SET IN 1935.

THIS AMOUNT WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING AND AN UPDATED RECORD EVENT
REPORT WILL BE ISSUED AROUND 135 AM SUNDAY.

$$

DRAG

Whoda thunk?  NAM told Euro - "I'll show you. I'll NAM 'em for real!"  :lmao:

(and I still remember the Euro's epic fail for the 1/27/15 storm).

Walt posted an RER for PHL for today -

SXUS71 KPHI 232144
RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
0444 PM EST SAT JAN 23 2016

...RECORD DAILY MAXIMUM SNOWFALL SET TODAY AT PHILADELPHIA PA...

A RECORD SNOWFALL OF 14.7 INCHES WAS SET AT PHILADELPHIA PA TODAY,
JANUARY 23RD 2016.  THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 11.9 SET IN 1935.

THIS AMOUNT WILL INCREASE THIS EVENING AND AN UPDATED RECORD EVENT
REPORT WILL BE ISSUED AROUND 135 AM SUNDAY.

$$

DRAG

Whoda thunk?  NAM told Euro - "I'll show you. I'll NAM 'em for real!"  :lmao:

(and I still remember the Euro's epic fail for the 1/27/15 storm).

What does that mean? I thought PHL got like 30" (or close to it) in 1996....?

Just eclipsed the 30" mark here in Warminster. This is just nuts. An hour ago I had doubts on getting to 30.8" to eclipse 96 as a personal top snowstorm. Now a look at the radar and there is absolutely no doubt that within the next 90 minutes this will be the largest snow event I ever personally witnessed. Never in my wildest imagination did I EVER think I would see anything comparable to 96 when I was living a stone's throw from Philly International. It will happen tonight. Incredible. And based on radar trends, it may not even be close. Glad I was able to share with all you folks in the Philly subforum!

We chuckled over the NAM 48hrs ago  :lol:

East Nantmeal Twp

Chester County Pa

5:30pm obs

Heavy Snow with more incoming

Total storm total up to 24.0" (15th 20+ storm in Chester County history since 1894) and #9 all time....3 more inches would get this to 6th all-time surpassing the 26.8" recorded on Feb 10, 2010 (many spots over 30" but I took about 25 sticks an thru out both those high ones and the low 22" - like to be conservative with these measurements

Looks like another band incoming from the NE so a good chance to surpass the 2010 mark

post-341-0-47958000-1453590399_thumb.jpg

Where in Warminster do you live? My dad lives near Street & Davisville, you really have 30?

So, after a quick nap and 4th round of shoveling, as of 1:00 pm we have 14.5" give or take an inch or so.  That would "only" be an average of an inch per hour since my last measurement of 9.5" at 8:30 am.  Having watched the radar pretty closely, we just haven't been under those 30+ dBZ bands for prolonged periods (just for spurts), so we haven't had 2" per hour snows for the most part.  Still thinking we make it to 20-22" if we can just sustain 1" per hour rates for 6-7 more hours.  Have some 3-4 foot drifts and bare spots.

Got very frustrated with the huge variance in measurements on my property, which usually is pretty good during snowstorms, but not this one - too much wind and the snow is too dry.  So, did another shovel (#5, lol) and my son and I took a short ride to the local school, which has a huge open field for sports.  Walked out about 50 yards into it and took some measurements and they were very consistent, between 18 and 19", so I called it 18.5" as of 5:00 pm.  

Snow really picked up here since about 4 pm, as the mega band finally hit us for awhile, but we're 4-7" behind all you folks to our NW who were under the megaband for far longer.  With maybe 4-5 more hours of 1" per hour snow, should at least hit 22" here while many places in NNJ/CNJ/NY will likely hit 25-30" and maybe a little more. Central Park is at 19.3" at 4 pm, so they should easily make it into 3rd place, all-time (22") and first place is possible (26.9" in Feb 2006).  That would be amazing given that everyone was wondering if NYC would make it to 8" 2 days ago.  21.4" in Newark, 21" in Elizabeth and 20" in LGA and reports of 30" in Morris County.  NAM crushed it.

As an aside, had a good snowball fight and wrestling match (my 21 year old kid's stronger than me now, so had to be careful lol). Rode around town (Metuchen) a bit and the main roads are passable, but often only have one main lane.  Hailey's Pub is open so I may have to take a walk downtown later for a beer.  

Archived