SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 22-23 Storm Threat

Ralph Wiggum

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do mets get away with saying 1' - 2'......That's the equivilant of saying 0 inches - 12 inches. 

"Get away with?"  Seriously?  Make a forecast, then be held accountable for it.  Different ballgame than sitting here in the cheap seats.

Dunno honestly. That has always been a range used in the past. Blizzard 96 nws call was 1-3' feet.

0-12 is a different probability range than 12-24 fwiw. I'm not a statistics guy tho so someone else will need to chime in.

NWS Forecasts for 1996:

Morning forecast for January 7, 1996:

*Blizzard Warning in effect through tonight*

*Around two feet of snow possible*

Today...Snow, heavy at times.  Accumulations of around one foot by night.  Becoming windy with blowing and drifting snow in the afternoon.  Highs 20 to 25.  Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight...Snow, heavy at times.  Very windy with blowing and drifting snow.  Lows in the lower 20s.  Northeast wind 25 to 35 mph and gusty, diminishing towards morning.

Afternoon forecast for January 7, 1996:

*Blizzard Warning in effect through tonight*

This afternoon...Snow heavy at times.  Accumulations of around one foot by night.  Becoming windy with blowing and drifting snow in the afternoon.  Highs low 20s.  Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph increasing to 25 to 35 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight...Snow, heavy at times.  Very windy with blowing and drifting snow.  Lows in the lower 20s.  Northeast wind 25 to 35 mph and gusty, diminishing towards morning.

Evening forecast for January 7, 1996:

*Blizzard Warning in effect through Monday morning*

Tonight...Snow, heavy at times.  Very windy with blowing and drifting snow.  Lows in the lower 20s.  Northeast wind 25 to 35 mph and gusty.

Monday...Windy and cold with snow or snow showers likely.  Blowing and drifting snow likely.  Highs near 30.  North wind 20 to 30 mph.  POP 70.

Overnight forecast for January 7, 1996:

*Blizzard Warning in effect through Monday morning*

*An addition 3 to 6 inches of snow for a total of 15 to 30 inches*

Overnight...Intermittent snow, heavy at times.  Very windy with blowing and drifting snow.  Temperatures 20 to 25.  Northeast wind 25 to 35 mph and gusty.

Monday...Windy and cold with snow or snow showers likely.  Blowing and drifting snow likely.  Highs near 30.  North wind 20 to 30 mph.  POP 70.

Morning forecast for January 8, 1996:

*Blizzard Warning this morning - Considerable blowing and drifting snow*

*18 to 30 inches of snow - Total storm accumulation*

Today...Windy and bitterly cold.  Snow tapering off to snow showers and flurries this afternoon.  Highs in the mid 20s.  North winds 20 to 35 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph.

Morning update for January 8, 1996:

*Advisory for blowing and drifting snow today*

Today...Windy and bitterly cold with scattered snow showers and flurries which may accumulate an inch or two.  Highs in the mid 20s.  North winds 20 to 35 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph.

Afternoon forecast for January 8, 1996:

*Advisory for snow, blowing and drifting snow this afternoon*

This afternoon...Windy and bitterly cold with snow tapering to scattered snow showers and flurries.  Additional accumulations of one to three inches.  Highs in the mid 20s.  North winds 20 to 35 mph decreasing to 15 to 25 mph late.

Source:  Ray's site

Don't see a single 1-3' on there.  Biggest spread is 15-30" which is a very wide spread, but for example, county ranges in NJ went like this:

Camden: 22-33"

Gloucester: 15.5-24"

Cumberland: 11-25"

Burlington: 16-30"

...so I'd say their forecasts were pretty damn good actually considering they're forecasting for > 3 million people.

Uncertain sure. But to cover their ass as well...

Ralph you in for the long haul tonight?

Not tonight. Still nursing the back end of the flu bug. Gonna pop a couple Advil PM and sleep like a log tonight. I *might* make it thru the 0z NAM, see how I'm feeling. Wanna recharge the battery for the weekend. I have 2 young kids and it will be a long weekend of sledding, snowmen, snow forts, etc. This 41 year old body doesn't quite recover physically as it used to.

Will be up early tomorrow though for the long day ahead.

"Get away with?" Seriously? Make a forecast, then be held accountable for it. Different ballgame than sitting here in the cheap seats.

NWS Forecasts for 1996:

Source: Ray's site

Don't see a single 1-3' on there. Biggest spread is 15-30" which is a very wide spread, but for example, county ranges in NJ went like this:

Camden: 22-33"

Gloucester: 15.5-24"

Cumberland: 11-25"

Burlington: 16-30"

...so I'd say their forecasts were pretty damn good actually considering they're forecasting for > 3 million people.

There was a discussion scroll across the weather channel (red screen) the night prior which said anywhere from 1-3' is possible. Have the footage right here on video. Again I believe it was a special weather statement and not an actual zone forecast though.

Not tonight. Still nursing the back end of the flu bug. Gonna pop a couple Advil PM and sleep like a log tonight. I *might* make it thru the 0z NAM, see how I'm feeling. Wanna recharge the battery for the weekend. I have 2 young kids and it will be a long weekend of sledding, snowmen, snow forts, etc. This 41 year old body doesn't quite recover physically as it used to.

Will be up early tomorrow though for the long day ahead.

You have to take care of yourself and get some rest. I am 66 and have been doing this since I was 10.

Archived