• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 17/18 - Possible Flurries/Snow Showers

North Balti Zen

Instead of cluttering the long-range with this (saving that thread for unicorn clutter) - maybe drop posts here with regard to whether anyone sees something frozen and fluffy falling from the sky Sunday/Monday?

As it stands, DC south might have a chance at a mood flake or two. Maybe it trends better to genuine cartopper?

Go.

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought last night that this storm was starting to turn the corner to move closer to the coast. However that does not seem to be any improvement in the 6 Z run this morning. We have to hope that the models are in such disarray that they can't pick up on subtle changes that could occur. Otherwise I'm looking for a reset going into February and possibly having a week of two major snow storms which will end our winner.

The NAM look at 500 was better starting at about 24 hours.  I would have thought it would at least produce something that might throw a little more moisture up into VA.  Curious that it didn't.

Probably get bashed for even looking, but I'm immune to any bashing I might get at this point.  :P

Weenie question, but what would we need to even have a slight chance at snow from the coastal system?

The streak of light precip in NC/VA that keeps showing up isn't triggered by the coastal as much as it is by a little energy spinning down in the northern stream. The coastal is providing moisture and the ns is provide the mechanism from what I'm seeing. The storm is too weak to push synoptic precip from the low center anywhere near us. We just need as strong a storm as possible as close to the coast as possible and hope it links up with this:

post-2035-0-59415600-1452872719_thumb.jp

Heights were much higher this run. Storm is also much stronger. Just need it to be 6 hours faster or the northern stream 6 hours slower. http://www.txtornado.net/GFS/new_500_gfs_all_12.htm. timing will be crucial 6-12 hours either direction could result in a very different situation.

I think we want that energy to dig further south otherwise it looks like it's acting more like a kicker. Too much separation it seems.

I figured the trip to Cuba wasn't happening but am surprised how far NW it has come since then. I would assume this is the limit but we still have another day or so for last shift or 2. 

Still mostly love the 500mb look.. not perfect but not sure everyone realizes how close it is to a big one. Tough storm to get quite right any day tho.

Still mostly love the 500mb look.. not perfect but not sure everyone realizes how close it is to a big one. Tough storm to get quite right any day tho.

I wish something showed the chance of the vort going negative. Even a weak storm with the vort going neg around the periphery of the ull would pull things right (or left in this case. lol). Shaping up to being one of those years where things are having a really hard time lining up. The whole luck thing. We've gotten snow the last 2 years when we shouldn't have so maybe now we don't get snow when we should. 

I figured the trip to Cuba wasn't happening but am surprised how far NW it has come since then. I would assume this is the limit but we still have another day or so for last shift or 2. 

Euro is getting close.. prob not enough time but so much for it being right when it was way south.

Euro upped the ante south and east with the coastal/light event. Would be the most widespread non-accumulating event of the year here. 

Are you guys talking Sunday or next week?

If Sunday, you can look at both the NAM and GFS and see a clear trend over the past 36 hours.  Problem is time is short and it's out of room.  I don't know if I'm right in this assessment, but that bowling ball from hell in the northern plains seems to be the reason the heights in front can't rise.  I suppose timing could be different than modeled, but one would assume that the models should be pretty close by now.

Are you guys talking Sunday or next week?

If Sunday, you can look at both the NAM and GFS and see a clear trend over the past 36 hours.  Problem is time is short and it's out of room.  I don't know if I'm right in this assessment, but that bowling ball from hell in the northern plains seems to be the reason the heights in front can't rise.  I suppose timing could be different than modeled, but one would assume that the models should be pretty close by now.

Well it's helping punt it but it could also lead to a massive storm if they managed to phase. Pointed out a number of times this setup isn't all that far off the Blizzard of 1966 setup. I'd still stand by that regardless of what it ends up doing. We are running fairly short on time, would be a pretty major short to mid term bust with the models to have it become a bigger deal.

Well it's helping punt it but it could also lead to a massive storm if they managed to phase. Pointed out a number of times this setup isn't all that far off the Blizzard of 1966 setup. I'd still stand by that regardless of what it ends up doing. We are running fairly short on time, would be a pretty major short to mid term bust with the models to have it become a bigger deal.

it is very similar the timing or spacing is just off by either 12 hours or a couple hundred miles...better luck and it could have been big.  Thats the risk with these kind of things though, perfect timing and you get a phased monster like 1966, anything is just a smidgen off and you get nothing

it is very similar the timing or spacing is just off by either 12 hours or a couple hundred miles...better luck and it could have been big.  Thats the risk with these kind of things though, perfect timing and you get a phased monster like 1966, anything is just a smidgen off and you get nothing

yeah pretty much. I wonder if it'll actually end up bumping back south in closing. Sometimes we see an overcorrection north with these things. But it's worth watching..

You would think that if there was even a slim chance at a phase happening we would have seen it presented somewhere by now. We're awful close in time now. I never saw a hint of it anywhere the last 3-4 days which is a shame because the table at least had a tablecloth and some wine glasses. Stupid plates and silverware screwed it all up. 

You would think that if there was even a slim chance at a phase happening we would have seen it presented somewhere by now. We're awful close in time now. I never saw a hint of it anywhere the last 3-4 days which is a shame because the table at least had a tablecloth and some wine glasses. Stupid plates and silverware screwed it all up. 

I know we don't use the ensembles inside this time frame but have any showed the phase scenario?  even 1 member?  seems like you or someone would have said so. 

We need a hail mary, but I think until the first system gets out of the way (tonight's rain), we will have to wait for the rest of the utensils to be put/get on the table.

GFS was pretty close the run that everyone got excited about. It at least mostly captured the wave if not a full phase.

Archived