joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/17/16 Winter Weather Threat

packfan98

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It still does not phase or am I looking at it wrong? It looks to me like its close to phasing but just not quite there yet on the EPS.

There's some phasing going on in today's run, but it's weak.  Probably what would help more than anything now is the southern wave speeding up more and getting out ahead of the weak northern energy dropping down

GSP Discussion

.SHORT TERM /SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...AS OF 2 PM FRIDAY...THE ATMOSPHERE WILL BEGIN TO MOISTEN FROM THETOP-DOWN ONCE AGAIN ON SAT NIGHT...AS THE NEXT...MORE POTENTSOUTHERN STREAM SHORT WAVE TROUGH MOVES RAPIDLY ACROSS THE SOUTHEASTCONUS. WHILE THE BULK OF THE POSITIVE DPVA WILL PASS SOUTH OF THEWESTERN CAROLINAS AND NORTHEAST GA...SHORT TERM GUIDANCE CONTINUESTO DEPICT A DEFORMATION ZONE BECOMING ESTABLISHED ACROSS THESOUTHERN APPALACHIANS AND SURROUNDING AREAS...NEAR THE ENTRANCEREGION OF 150KT UPPER JET. MODEL CROSS-SECTIONS WITHIN THISDEFORMATION AXIS CONTINUE TO APPEAR RATHER INTRIGUING...WITHNEAR-SATURATED AIR EXTENDING WELL INTO THE DENDRITIC ICE CRYSTALGROWTH REGION. IN THAT SENSE...IT IS NOT SURPRISING THATDETERMINISTIC GUIDANCE HAS TRENDED A BIT WETTER...WITH CONSENSUS QPFOF .05-.1 INCH INDICATED ACROSS MUCH OF THE FORECAST AREA BETWEEN06Z AND 18Z SUNDAY. THIS IS ALSO IN LINE WITH THE LATEST ENSEMBLEOUTPUT.POPS HAVE BEEN INCREASED TO A SOLID CHANCE ACROSS THE MTNS DURINGTHIS TIME FRAME...WHILE 30 POPS WILL BE RETAINED ACROSS THE PIEDMONTAND FOOTHILLS. IN TERMS OF P-TYPE...THIS CONTINUES TO LOOK STRICTLYLIKE A RAIN/SNOW ISSUE. A CONSENSUS OF OPERATIONAL MODEL THICKNESSPROGS AND ENSEMBLE P-TYPE PROBABILITIES LENDS LITTLE SUPPORT TO SNOWPOSSIBILITIES ALONG AND SOUTH OF THE I-85 CORRIDOR...AND THE RAIN/SNOW LINE HAS BEEN SHIFTED A BIT NORTH. MEANWHILE...ALL-SNOWAPPEARS TO BE A GOOD BET ACROSS THE MTNS...WITH A RA/SN MIX ALONGTHE I-40 CORRIDOR EAST OF THE MTNS. THE MTNS COULD SEE ANYWHERE FROMA DUSTING TO AN INCH OF SNOWFALL...WITH PERHAPS UP TO A HALF INCHACROSS THE NORTHERN NC FOOTHILLS...BUT CONFIDENCE IN MEASURABLESNOWFALL IS STILL RATHER LOW...ESP OUTSIDE THE MTNS.

Looking through the individual members now... there's a lot that would make a lot of us happy.  This is my personal favorite (though it would not be good for eastern areas).

358xkx2.png

James, can you post or send me the GSO bar graph from the EPS when it comes out in a bit?  Thanks!

Yeah, I think they're usually out around 4 PM.  Will do.

Could we get a surprise bomb? I'm looking out the window!  :snowwindow:  It don't like much being there! But little is much if it don't happen. 

I will be watching the RAP/mesoanalysis page regardless.  My inner weenie will watch every slight interaction and tilt it makes until it's over!

We should start comparing modeled hours vs real-time now that the energy is dropping down.  See if there is any kind of trend in speed and strength.

The gfs did so poorly with this system that if the same thing occurred with the precip with this next one, we'd be talking about a much bigger deal. Ended up with well over an inch (with some a lot more)  when the Gfs had something like a tenth or two in general today for quite a while before the most recent runs where it finally bought a clue.  It's a shame that never happens when it's cold enough lol

Yep, I got a inch and a half over the .1 Goofy was giving me via Meteostar :)  Had plenty of rain around the low, and does for the weekend, but can't seem to move the shield out from the immediate convection with any intensity.  All these models leave things to be desired, and putting all ones chips on any of them just doesn't work in active patterns.  Split streams, blocking, multiple short waves..... it confuses the little darlings, lol.  Based on18 inches for the last half of Dec. I'm thinking any gulf low is liable to drench my house, and I'm not backing away from that, whether it's showing suppressed, or not, lol.  It may be cold rain, but there will likely be rain :)  T

Meanwhile, the 18z NAM basically doesn't have a storm to speak of and has zilch for us all with a disorganized surface low crossing the Tampa Bay area.  I guess we toss it and continue riding the EPS hype train for now.  :yikes:

EDIT: Yeah, the SREF is awful, though that's not surprise given that the NAM was terrible.

Also, the JMA took a sizable jog NW with this afternoon's run FWIW.

Watches & Warnings
... Light snow accumulations possible across parts of east
Tennessee... southwest Virginia and southwest North Carolina late
Saturday night and Sunday morning...
A storm system may bring light snowfall late Saturday night and
Sunday morning across parts of east Tennessee... southwest North
Carolina... and southwest Virginia. Light snow will begin after
midnight across southwest North Carolina... then spread north across
east Tennessee and southwest Virginia. The snowfall will generally
be east of Interstate 75.
Snow accumulations of 1 to possibly 2 inches are expected across
the higher elevations of the far eastern Tennessee mountains.
Snowfall of 1/2 to 1 inch are possible across northeast Tennessee
and southwest Virginia... including the Tri-Cities. Across the
Central Valley... including Knoxville and Morristown... snow
accumulations up to 1/2 inch are possible.
The light snow will end or diminish by noon Sunday. The main
concern will be areas of snow and ice covered roadways Sunday
morning... especially across bridges and overpasses.

Meanwhile, the 18z NAM basically doesn't have a storm to speak of and has zilch for us all with a disorganized surface low crossing the Tampa Bay area.  I guess we toss it and continue riding the EPS hype train for now.  :yikes:

EDIT: Yeah, the SREF is awful, though that's not surprise given that the NAM was terrible.

Also, the JMA took a sizable jog NW with this afternoon's run FWIW.

Looks better imo. More returns. It's getting there just a little slow to the partypost-8878-0-64741100-1452890829_thumb.pnpost-8878-0-50887800-1452890840_thumb.pn

The NAM doesnt even look close to EURo or GFS. What is it doing?

WPC says throw out the NAM

...SHORTWAVE TROUGH CROSSING THE INTERMOUNTAIN WEST......ENERGY REACHING THE GULF COAST STATES BY LATE SAT......SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT OVER THE GULF OF MEXICO/FL...PREFERENCE: NON-NAM CONSENSUSCONFIDENCE: AVERAGEA PACIFIC SHORTWAVE TROUGH WILL RAPIDLY DIG SOUTHEAST ACROSS THEINTERMOUNTAIN WEST TODAY AND INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS BY EARLYSAT. THEREAFTER IT WILL EJECT ACROSS THE GULF COAST WHILEFOSTERING SURFACE LOW DEVELOPMENT OVER THE OPEN WATERS OF THE GULFOF MEXICO. THE GUIDANCE AGREES IN TAKING THIS LOW EAST ACROSS THECENTRAL FL PENINSULA EARLY SUN. THE 12Z ECMWF HAS TRENDED A LITTLESTRONGER AND FARTHER NORTH WITH ITS LOW TRACK AND IS NOW RATHERCLOSE TO THE 12Z UKMET SOLUTION. THESE TWO SOLUTIONS COLLECTIVELYARE JUST A LITTLE SLOWER AND STRONGER THAN THE 12Z GFS AND 12Z CMCSOLUTIONS. THE 12Z NAM IS THE WEAKEST AND MOST PROGRESSIVE ANDWILL BE DISCOUNTED. THE LATEST GEFS MEAN AND ECENS MEANESSENTIALLY FAVORS A NON-NAM CONSENSUS...AND SO THIS WILL BE THEPREFERENCE.

Archived