• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan 9-10th snow threat. Disco/OBS

dmc76

The models have been shifting south and east...and don't seem to be pulling the system north and west like they before. It seems like more of shoot north and east instead Maybe 1 inch in Chicago and maaaaybe 3 inches here if we're lucky.

Things were baby stepping back earlier today. What the heck happened...

4km nam?

Usually by now, I watch the RGEM and HRRR, 4km NAM usually also.

Not very pretty. It does try to throw back some snow.

nam4km_ref_eus_9.png

That shift is really drastic being only 18 hours away.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a novel concept, let's wait for the other 00z model runs.

I can't go against climate trends with storms from the south and southwest... :) It's Wisconsin and rain here, or Kalamazoo and Detroit with a 1 to 3 inches here. I'm just glad I don't live in Ludington or Alpena...they've really been screwed.

I figured with us getting so close that things were getting more set in stone. How often have we seen a shift south and east when we WANTED one? Rarely ever.

Seems odd that there aren't higher snow accums. to the west with the NAM showing snow falling back into Central Wisconsin. Must be light stuff.

Trends have been in our favor, I'd say we get a couple of inches.

I wouldn't be surprised to see IWX expand their watch to include Hillsdale and another row in IN/OH, for GRR to Include Jackson and DTX (assuming they aren't gonna pull last event again) will issue something for the central-western tier as well. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see IWX expand their watch to include Hillsdale and another row in IN/OH, for GRR to Include Jackson and DTX (assuming they aren't gonna pull last event again) will issue something for the central-western tier as well.

I wouldn't expect any of that until the rest of tonight's guidance rolls out. DTX won't jump like that.

Trends have been in our favor, I'd say we get a couple of inches.

Question for you or one of the other mets.  Do you think convective feedback could be playing a role in these solutions and why we're seeing these fairly significant jumps this close in?

I can't go against climate trends with storms from the south and southwest... :) It's Wisconsin and rain here, or Kalamazoo and Detroit with a 1 to 3 inches here. I'm just glad I don't live in Ludington or Alpena...they've really been screwed.

I figured with us getting so close that things were getting more set in stone. How often have we seen a shift south and east when we WANTED one? Rarely ever.

Seems odd that there aren't higher snow accums. to the west with the NAM showing snow falling back into Central Wisconsin. Must be light stuff.

You mean Alpena that got 10" of snow last weekend?

Well I think this NAM run is the farthest southeast of any runs so far, so they'll definitely wait to see what the other models show.

What did you get in GHD 2011?

Question for you or one of the other mets.  Do you think convective feedback could be playing a role in these solutions and why we're seeing these fairly significant jumps this close in?

The convection along the coast like that tends to pull the low east, we saw that with the system that brought the sleet storm. That also had a SE trend at the end.

I was figuring the NAM wouldn't do much at this point. It's getting to late for major shifts! It's about 50 miles different - huge/odd move with ~18 hours to go.

The problem is, the weaker solutions don't exactly have higher snowfalls, so this very well could go toward a widespread WWA type event if things continue to trend like they have today.

Someone might need to bump the complaint thread, so we can keep this thread clean with just storm discussion.

Stebo, I'm discussing how the models have changed today. Sorry if you interpret that as complaining. Of course I'm a bit irritated...

Sort of like how there was banter that went on and on in the lake effect thread about whether Wawa gets 300 inches or so???

The convection along the coast like that tends to pull the low east, we saw that with the system that brought the sleet storm. That also had a SE trend at the end.

Isn't it true when the convection is feeding northwards into a system going negative tilt, that the low tends to trend NW of guidance?

Done ranting.

Oh boy...

I ALSO DID NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THE FORECAST YET DURING THE
WINTER STORM PERIOD LATE SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. HOWEVER...I
HAVE A FEELING THE NORTHWEST GRADIENT BETWEEN SNOW AND VERY LITTLE
SNOW COULD BE FAIRLY TIGHT...AND THIS AREA COULD BE CLOSE TO OR JUST
WEST OF THE CHICAGO METRO AREA. THEREFORE...IF THIS ENDS UP BEING
THE CASE...SNOW AMOUNTS MAY NEED TO BE LOWERED ACROSS THE
NORTHWESTERN HALF OR SO OF THE AREA.

Archived