Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2016 Pattern Disco

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a short memory and completely trust your knowledge of specific winters over mine. But the one I can recall, 2012-13, I thought wasn't really a warm pattern for February and March when most of the snowfall occurred, and most of the warmth was from large anomalies in Dec-Jan.

Late December 2012 for ORH:

Date.....Temp +/-....Snowfall

12/25......+3..............0.6

12/26.......0...............3.7

12/27......+4..............3.0

12/28......+1..............0.0

12/29.......0...............9.3

You can see the pattern wasn't a cold one...it was mild overall, though when the actual precip fell, we were close to neutral because that is what happens.

Lets move onto Feb 2013...early Feb during the blizzard was cold, but later on it was not.

Date.....Temp +/-....Snowfall

2/22.......+1..............0.0

2/23.......+2..............2.0

2/24.......+2..............6.1

2/25.......+2..............T

2/26.......+6..............0.0

2/27.......+5..............2.4

There's 27.1" of snow that winter which occurred during periods where there were zero days below normal for temps. I mean, we can move onto March too....3/8/13 had 14.9" at ORH on a +1 day.

This is getting very specific and I don't like to do it because it becomes much too anecdotel, but I presented this only because you brought up 2013 as an example. IIRC, the covariance of temps and precip is pretty high...but when I ran them both against snowfall, precip was more important...there was a residual of like 0.2-0.3 or something. I don't have the excel spreadsheet in front of me right now at work, but I'll see if I can get it when I am home.

JC, you can simply look at temps for ORH in winter (avg temps meaning the mean). Look at +2-3 and see how cold that still is. 

Well ORH is a bit on the cold & snowy side of the spectrum though, BOS is north of 84 and I remember in late December 2012 SST were too warm and it was all rain there.

Temps in Feb-Mar 2013 were a few tenths of either side of normal JC.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I wouldn't call that an AN pattern though. Maybe we are not considering the same thing as marginal temps, I would call +2-+3 as marginal, but not normal temps as marginal.

Anyway, thanks all for responding. I appreciate the ability to learn here.

Well ORH is a bit on the cold & snowy side of the spectrum though, BOS is north of 84 and I remember in late December 2012 SST were too warm and it was all rain there.

Thanks, that's kind of what I thought. I wouldn't call that an AN pattern though. Maybe we are not considering the same thing as marginal temps, I would call +2-+3 as marginal, but not normal temps as marginal.

Anyway, thanks all for responding. I appreciate the ability to learn here.

I was just pointing out how it was pretty warm, but also snowy. Will took it a step further to show you the daily breakdown. 

For me personally, the cold is definitely a security blanket on the coast. However, if you told me my DJFM period would be drier than normal, I would be a bit nervous.  

signs being the Euro op? , man I like this Ens look coming out for the 1/23 ish period

There definitely looks to be a lot of disagreement in the ensembles on where we are at the end of the month. This is going to be tough on guidance.

Phil, Leonard, HM and Ryan all going torch, guess we will see. Looks on Euro Ens an AN normal period but for us not terrible. Ryan is on the winter is over thought train, he has posted as such many times. We shall see.

Phil, Leonard, HM and Ryan all going torch, guess we will see. Looks on Euro Ens an AN normal period but for us not terrible. Ryan is on the winter is over thought train, he has posted as such many times. We shall see.

Not saying winter is over but there's absolutely nothing right now to get excited about. Better hope we can get a storm threat with the NAO on our side in the next 10 days. 

The weenies thought that but most I know were predicting a warm up toward the end of the month into early February. 

Well Scooter and Will on here just this morning said maybe normal to slightly AN but stormy. No-one said anything about torching and ending winter.

1. Pattern change imminent last week Jan. Pacific is the same but reversal in NAO means end of arctic cold, for now.

CYtWT_uUoAAPzqe.png

CYtWT-WUQAE0_Ut.png

4 retweets7 likes

Retweet

More

@DanLeonard_wx The NAO was so kind to us in the snow department too.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@ryanhanrahan Yep the pattern was favorable, just got unlucky. Going to be a lot harder to get a big one beyond next weekend.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@DanLeonard_wx Yup - just didn't work out this time. Always next winter.

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@ryanhanrahan @DanLeonard_wx first Twitter winter cancel post of the year

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@steveginx @DanLeonard_wx You're still all snowmen and powder days when long range pattern looks like garbage. Reality hurts :(

0 retweets0 likes

Retweet

More

@ryanhanrahan @DanLeonard_wx lol so you cancel the rest of winter alrighty then

0 retweets0 likes

Not saying winter is over but there's absolutely nothing right now to get excited about. Better hope we can get a storm threat with the NAO on our side in the next 10 days. 

the Euro and GEFs ens at day 8 are nothing to look at. I mean get excited is for day 3 , that is a good look this far out. I know you are all Debbie and all and for good reasons but cmon now.

Haven't a lot of the strat guys told us that at the time of an SSW, the AO goes strongly but temporarily positive?  And aren't there signs of an SSW at the end of January?

I know the thinking is that an SSW doesn't wreck the polar vortex for about 30 days...but aren't some sensible weather effects felt before that?  Maybe Isotherm can chime in here.

Anyway, it seems the rumors of winter's demise might be greatly exagerated this time around.

Reverse of recurving Pac typhoon which promotes troughing in East. Recurving Atlantic Cane in mid winter helps pump the ridge?

wut?anyways in good news dept Euro ens mean is 4-8 across Ct not Ryans .5 for the next threat , lets hope that holds or even builds. One storm at a time this year, volatility was the call. More good news new GFS para is pretty stout with the ULL snows , at least a couple of inches, man heckuva a classic text book PWM INVT too, That sig has been there for a long way out (Debbies will doubt but its been there in some shape or form)

Archived