joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Winter 2015-16 Part 1

klw

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The overnight operational GFS and Euro runs would indicate suppression depression with just weak disturbances across the northern tier (and perhaps some upslope snow showers from time to time). I am keeping the meltdown just below the surface for now.

Keep the faith. Not uncommon for early to mid January to be some trying times. It will make it all the sweeter when the big ones come. Besides, ain't nothing we can do about it except make a fire and watch some football.

Better than MWN, nicely done.

Its really picking up now...definitely starting to rip at lower elevations too.

I see the MMNV1 station has now gusted to 95mph for a high gust.

That seems extreme to me but the new 12z GFS did have a pocket of 85kts at H85 rotating through between now and 2pm.

Its really picking up now...definitely starting to rip at lower elevations too.

I see the MMNV1 station has now gusted to 95mph for a high gust.

attachicon.gifJan10_95mph.jpg

That seems extreme to me but the new 12z GFS did have a pocket of 85kts at H85 rotating through between now and 2pm.

attachicon.gifgfs_mslp_uv850_neng_2.png

The near 90 knot LLJ has been pretty consistently modeled. I've got our mesonet up checking to see if any of our downslope areas start kicking up.

The overnight operational GFS and Euro runs would indicate suppression depression with just weak disturbances across the northern tier (and perhaps some upslope snow showers from time to time). I am keeping the meltdown just below the surface for now.

Can't say I'm surprised. Starting to look like a ratter. Dec/Jan look to be a loss.

Can't say I'm surprised. Starting to look like a ratter. Dec/Jan look to be a loss.

It could be. I am Williston today and the winds are starting to increase quite a bit here. I am wondering if there is a decent spot I could get to where I could really see some intense gusts. The Bolton webcam didn't look overly impressive.

It is absolutely honking...but I still am not sure about the 117mph reading.  That seems suspect as its 20mph higher than the next closest reading.  It would also be the highest reading I've seen there in my years of watching it.  We had a December cutter one year bring a 107mph gust (maybe 2010 or something), which I think is the highest I've seen.

It could be. I am Williston today and the winds are starting to increase quite a bit here. I am wondering if there is a decent spot I could get to where I could really see some intense gusts. The Bolton webcam didn't look overly impressive.

Underhill or Nashville/West Bolton.  Look up Nashville Rd and head to the West Bolton Golf Course at 800-1000ft.  Its wide open and gets hammered.  Or any wide open area in Pleasant Valley/Underhill region with a good unobstructed view of Mansfield/Spine.

Bolton the ski area is too close and tight to the ridge...summit is probably seeing very high winds but I think the downslope winds are just a bit further west into the foothills.  And Williston is too far west.  If you are in Williston already its a pretty quick trip to exit 12 and up to West Bolton.

Underhill or Nashville/West Bolton. Look up Nashville Rd and head to the West Bolton Golf Course at 800-1000ft. Its wide open and gets hammered. Or any wide open area in Pleasant Valley/Underhill region with a good unobstructed view of Mansfield/Spine.

Bolton the ski area is too close and tight to the ridge...summit is probably seeing very high winds but I think the downslope winds are just a bit further west into the foothills. And Williston is too far west. If you are in Williston already its a pretty quick trip to exit 12 and up to West Bolton.

There is a spot in Undehill that quite often gets hammered with high winds. Paradise Valley maybe?

Underhill or Nashville/West Bolton.  Look up Nashville Rd and head to the West Bolton Golf Course at 800-1000ft.  Its wide open and gets hammered.  Or any wide open area in Pleasant Valley/Underhill region with a good unobstructed view of Mansfield/Spine.

Bolton the ski area is too close and tight to the ridge...summit is probably seeing very high winds but I think the downslope winds are just a bit further west into the foothills.  And Williston is too far west.  If you are in Williston already its a pretty quick trip to exit 12 and up to West Bolton.

I decided to take the drive and definitely hit some good winds even in Richmond and of course up by the golf course as mentioned (or just a bit away from it coming out of a notch). It was amazing how you could go around a bend and it would be howling and then around the next it would be nearly calm. Powder you should get us some footage from the Mansfield summit that would be good ;)

42.1F light to moderate rain.   Still 100% snowcover.  Like to get some bare ground patches for the deer before more snow on Tuesday covers it back up.    Watching my deer herd standing in the pasture looking absolutely cold, wet and miserable!

The ground is completely bare with just patches left here. The snowcover is holding for now 1000ft and up or so.

The ground is completely bare with just patches left here. The snowcover is holding for now 1000ft and up or so.

Really? Full cover below 1,000ft here on the east side. Even though MVL has upper 40s, they may be down sloping off the Worecester Range. They gusted into the 40s at the ASOS and hit upper 40s but it's 42F at home and dead calm.

Archived