• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter Outlook 2016

40/70 Benchmark

That does seem to be a gross over-simplification.

If we had a a good -NAO with #supernino, it might have been #supersnowy.

What year was the last #SuperNino?  1997-98.  That was #SuperDeep.

attachicon.gifsuper_nino.png

I'd say that Mt. Mansfield snow depths are not that well correlated to ENSO state. 

G and I worked through that two summers ago and found no significant correlation. At best there was a slight favoring towards mod La Nina and El Nino was all over the map. 

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say that Mt. Mansfield snow depths are not that well correlated to ENSO state. 

G and I worked through that two summers ago and found no significant correlation. At best there was a slight favoring towards mod La Nina and El Nino was all over the map. 

Oh definitely not... I'm just playing devil's advocate there as there's no reason to say just "because its a strong Nino it should be an awful winter."  Not to say that "because there was a strong Nino it should be snowy."  Then there's 1982-83 which was a mix of this winter's awfulness to start with some of 1997-98's big snows in the second half.

The slight favoring towards a moderate La Nina isn't too surprising I guess...they seem to be more reliable winters when its SWFE type stuff.

This was the winter when warmth and, even more, unfortuitous timing, overcame precip for NNE snowfall.  Met winter snow was 20" BN at my place, while met winter precip was 40% above average and beat 07-08 for the most in 18 DJFs.  Over those 18 years, DJF snow has averaged 6.0" per 1" precip.  This winter it was 2.9-to-1, by far the lowest of any met winter.

This was the winter when warmth and, even more, unfortuitous timing, overcame precip for NNE snowfall. Met winter snow was 20" BN at my place, while met winter precip was 40% above average and beat 07-08 for the most in 18 DJFs. Over those 18 years, DJF snow has averaged 6.0" per 1" precip. This winter it was 2.9-to-1, by far the lowest of any met winter.

Yeah I've always felt that AN temps were generally ok for snowfall if precip is high for temp departures up to +3 or maybe even +4. But this winter every month at MVL was +5 or higher, and at those departures the precip/snow correlation just gets overrun by the warmth.

I wasn't pointing fingers at you, I never put a forecast out there so I'm not going to straight knock people for doing it.  I like talking about what went wrong just to learn from it.

I also haven't read your forecast since probably November or December... and I have to be careful in this thread (as its your forecast thread) but I'm just more commenting on the general "consensus forecast" that was out there at the beginning of the winter.

The bad first half was well called for by most, and your analog was the previous warmest December... that's a great call. 

Snowfall is a crapshoot, you are right...but I feel like if the temperature forecasts were right and February was -3F and it still didn't snow, we could chalk that up to nuances more than being like +2.5 to +5.5 across New England in February and not snowing.

Lack of -NAO... lack of the vortex splitting...sub-tropical jet limping along...something happened that didn't cause the second half to work out as most thought.

Like here's the WeatherBell analog composite for what they used for a February forecast.  This seemed to be similar from most vendors.

FEB.png

No need to parse your words.....I know I got carried away over the course of the fall into last season, but I am ok with folks pointing out flaws so that i can learn from it.

I made some mistakes; however citing the exotically warm temp anomalies is a rationale for claiming that it was not due to nuances is BS. It was both, the NAO and bad luck.

Even without the NAO, we were a scooter $hit streak and a slightly better positioned long wave trough away from an above average snowfall season.

Case closed.

No argument in that regard.

Like I have said, precip matters more than temps at this latitude.....up by you it is not even close.

The NAO hurt, but we could have done well without....the nuances prevented that.

Some seasons like 2001 and 2012, PF's argument works, but in season's like this, its misleading.

The warm spells were more anomalous, protracted and frequent than the cold spells, yes.....which obviously explains the record warm winter.

This is prohibitive of a good snow retention season; however we still had plenty of opportunities with storms in the area, while adequate cold was lurking.....however nothing ever timed correctly, which is different than seasons in which you just never had prayer.

The exotically warm seasonal anomalies belie the primary flaw in this season's DNA.

This season could have easily been on par with 1983, but it just didn't work out.

Even without the NAO, we were a scooter $hit streak and a slightly better positioned long wave trough away from an above average snowfall season.

Case closed.

No argument in that regard.

Like I have said, precip matters more than temps at this latitude.....up by you it is not even close.

The NAO hurt, but we could have done well without....the nuances prevented that.

See this is where I disagree and we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I think we have some differing opinions too based on our local areas.  I don't think the western half of SNE and pretty much all of NNE woes were due to a sh*tty Scooter streak and a couple of bad breaks.  I don't see how an above normal snowfall season would've been possible without the -NAO, even with a couple different breaks. 

It just wasn't even close in a lot of those areas.  To the point that ALB had its least snowiest and warmest MET winter on record since 1884.  That's the worst combo possible.  I know that's slightly further west than the area you are looking at, but it shows the nature of this pattern.  I just can't chalk this winter up to a couple bad breaks.

That's why we'll have to agree to disagree.

Some seasons like 2001 and 2012, PF's argument works, but in season's like this, its misleading.

The warm spells were more anomalous, protracted and frequent than the cold spells, yes.....which obviously explains the record warm winter.

This is prohibitive of a good snow retention season; however we still had plenty of opportunities with storms in the area, while adequate cold was lurking.....however nothing ever timed correctly, which is different than seasons in which you just never had prayer.

The exotically warm seasonal anomalies belie the primary flaw in this season's DNA.

This season could have easily been on par with 1983, but it just didn't work out.

I honestly never really felt like we had a prayer this season for whatever reason.  It started with the ways the jets were oriented even during the "favorable" periods.  It was either a northern stream energy staying north, possibly resulting in a light mixed or rain event...but when the cold was around, the sub-tropical jet was too far SE.  It had the appeal that the chances were there for eastern New England and especially eastern SNE when the cold was around.  But not up here.  It just had that orientation where it was either weak northern stream giving some mixed event, or if the cold was in place it was a southern stream system that "threatened" eastern SNE down through the mid-Atlantic. 

If both streams combined, we were going to get a massive southern stream cutter.  To me there didn't seem to be as many chances for the western half of New England due to those two jet orientations that pretty much set-up shop and the pattern stayed that way all winter.  If it wasn't a cutter, it was a more southern stream Miller A type deal that may or may not clip parts of SNE as it comes out of the mid-Atlantic.

I agree with you on your location... this pattern from say Christmas onward had decent chances for eastern SNE.  We tracked several ocean storms that just missed in-between the cutters.  When the cold was around though, there was a large part of the interior that felt like it never had a chance.

This summed it up from earlier in February.  And its why I'm adamant that a -NAO was needed because it would've given us the northern stream love that ended up in Quebec.  The southern stream was never in play for us on its own...but it was for you.  Ironically, if we had a -NAO, you might not have even been close on the southern stream lows either if it forced the whole deal south and east a bit.

Ray, 40/70... I guess I'm not even rebutting your ideas as your forecast is for your location and focused on eastern New England.  I'm just giving my opinion on the winter and trying not to include emotions or that stuff.  Just a frank look at the western half and northern half of New England this winter. 

Just the way it was shaking out, it never felt like we had much of a chance once the prevailing patterns were established.  Eastern New England definitely had a lot more potential with the number of southern stream storms that either grazed or just missed during the cold periods.  But further west and to the north, those cold periods just smacked of cold/dry with warm/wet coming.  It has been a theme lately, as even 2013-2014 did that... when the cold came the snow threats were in SNE and eastern New England from the southern stream, and then when the northern and southern streams phased it rained. 

I honestly never really felt like we had a prayer this season for whatever reason.

The difference between “never having a prayer” and “barely missing due to nuances” seems rather subjective – is the position of the longwave trough a nuance or a major element?  I think of the nuances as the storm by storm subtleties – elevational/geographic snow line, banding, snow density, etc.

As I recall Will mentioning, the spine of the Northern Greens has got relatively low variability with respect to annual snowfall – it’s more difficult for us to deviate heavily from average on either end.  I think part of that is due to the fact that we just get so many storms (typically 40 to 60 accumulating events each season at our location, and more in the higher elevations).  If you get to roll the dice that many times, you’re just naturally going to have better chances of not crapping out every single time.  Of course, you’re also not going to get 50 three-footers every season; with that many storms, they can’t all be great.  So, all things being equal, if nuances are at the level of individual storms, and not global patterns, then that sort of “nuance proofs” an area to some degree.

With the mountains here to pull out backside snow, there’s rarely a storm during the winter that we’ll get absolutely zero snow, so in the case of near misses, and even many of the “not so near” misses, we’re typically going to pick up that tenth of an inch of snow to ensure that the storm goes into the books (or at least my books).  Our number of “chances” is on the low end this season (only 29 storms as of March 9th), which may speak to an element of the pattern vs. the luck from individual events.

Regardless of the definitions, I think there was a lot more to this season than even just missing by a few hundred miles.  All those near misses we saw? – even if they were hits, we’d still be well below average on snowfall.  Many of us are behind on snowfall up here by more than most people’s entire seasonal averages.  At my location it would take roughly a dozen warning-level events just to catch up to mean snowfall at this point in the season.  Based on my numbers, even if those close calls to the west of us had been hits, I just don’t think the storms were there.  A quick look through my files reveals five solid storms that were to the west of us that might be considered near misses.  Let’s be gracious with 10” per storm and say that those five storms gave us that extra 50 inches of snow that was mentioned earlier in the thread.  We’d still be well below average and people would be discussing why that was the case.

Anyway, fun discussion and I think the original forecast was great.  Folks can argue about the definitions of nuances etc., but I think it takes a special combination of factors, more than just nuances, to get a spot with low snowfall variance like the Northern Greens to come in with once in 50 to 100 years type snowfall numbers.

At my location it would take roughly a dozen warning-level events just to catch up to mean snowfall at this point in the season.

That's sort of what I mean...it takes a bad pattern along with some nuances to get that in the hole.

The mountains may very well end over 150" in the hole... that's 15 storms of 10". Think about that. That's like missing 4 storms of 10" each per month all winter long.

That's more than just a few bad breaks away from normal.

BUT I will still say this is a local problem to western SNE and NNE...or pretty much anyone that averages 80-100"+....where one or two storms don't make or break the season. But in spots like eastern New England that had numerous near misses with coastal storms and the averages are such that missing 2-3 systems can be the difference between above and below normal snow.

Ray's points are certainly valid where his forecast was focused on.

See this is where I disagree and we'll have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.

I think we have some differing opinions too based on our local areas.  I don't think the western half of SNE and pretty much all of NNE woes were due to a sh*tty Scooter streak and a couple of bad breaks.  I don't see how an above normal snowfall season would've been possible without the -NAO, even with a couple different breaks. 

It just wasn't even close in a lot of those areas.  To the point that ALB had its least snowiest and warmest MET winter on record since 1884.  That's the worst combo possible.  I know that's slightly further west than the area you are looking at, but it shows the nature of this pattern.  I just can't chalk this winter up to a couple bad breaks.

That's why we'll have to agree to disagree.

No, the $hit streak had nothing to do with NNE....but if the trough were just a hair to the west, we all would have had much more snow....sorry, but anyone disagreeing with that notion is patently wrong.

Period.

Now, would we have had more margin for error in that regard with a neg NAO?

Yes....absolutely.

I also believe that the relatively meager STJ played a role, too.....that was tough to see coming.

I understand that KALB saw its worst sensible combo on record, but it was not anywhere near the worst pattern on record.

There are reasons why some areas saw three to four times more snow in other super el nino seasons like 1983 and 1998....one them begins with the letter "L", and ends with the letter "K"....

I honestly never really felt like we had a prayer this season for whatever reason.  It started with the ways the jets were oriented even during the "favorable" periods.  It was either a northern stream energy staying north, possibly resulting in a light mixed or rain event...but when the cold was around, the sub-tropical jet was too far SE.  It had the appeal that the chances were there for eastern New England and especially eastern SNE when the cold was around.  But not up here.  It just had that orientation where it was either weak northern stream giving some mixed event, or if the cold was in place it was a southern stream system that "threatened" eastern SNE down through the mid-Atlantic. 

If both streams combined, we were going to get a massive southern stream cutter.  To me there didn't seem to be as many chances for the western half of New England due to those two jet orientations that pretty much set-up shop and the pattern stayed that way all winter.  If it wasn't a cutter, it was a more southern stream Miller A type deal that may or may not clip parts of SNE as it comes out of the mid-Atlantic.

I agree with you on your location... this pattern from say Christmas onward had decent chances for eastern SNE.  We tracked several ocean storms that just missed in-between the cutters.  When the cold was around though, there was a large part of the interior that felt like it never had a chance.

This summed it up from earlier in February.  And its why I'm adamant that a -NAO was needed because it would've given us the northern stream love that ended up in Quebec.  The southern stream was never in play for us on its own...but it was for you.  Ironically, if we had a -NAO, you might not have even been close on the southern stream lows either if it forced the whole deal south and east a bit.

attachicon.gifeastern_us.jpg

attachicon.gifnsm_depth_2016021005_Northeast.jpg

Some of that is explained by nuances with regard to timing.

The fact that you guessed right on a ratter is great, but it doesn't change anything.

I guessed right in February on the 2010 type of frustrating ending, in which we could find a way to fail through to the end, but I would never argue with Scott and Will that we had chances.

I just guessed that they were not going to work out due to the impending regression in conjunction with the tenor of the season that had already been established.

I don't care to rehash the tenor/regression debate, but for whatever reason, the notion of a rat until the end has proved correct.

Ray, 40/70... I guess I'm not even rebutting your ideas as your forecast is for your location and focused on eastern New England.  I'm just giving my opinion on the winter and trying not to include emotions or that stuff.  Just a frank look at the western half and northern half of New England this winter. 

Just the way it was shaking out, it never felt like we had much of a chance once the prevailing patterns were established.  Eastern New England definitely had a lot more potential with the number of southern stream storms that either grazed or just missed during the cold periods.  But further west and to the north, those cold periods just smacked of cold/dry with warm/wet coming.  It has been a theme lately, as even 2013-2014 did that... when the cold came the snow threats were in SNE and eastern New England from the southern stream, and then when the northern and southern streams phased it rained. 

We are viewing the same things from different perspectives, that's all.

Don't worry about offending me.....I enjoy your comments and critique because you are a quality poster.

Do you feel as though the fact that that late season slam-zone just missing to your north was by chance, or simply within the realm of variance?

Not sure you can blame the NAO for that at your latitude....

Like you said to me, a negative NAO may have pushed that swath to your south....

The difference between “never having a prayer” and “barely missing due to nuances” seems rather subjective – is the position of the longwave trough a nuance or a major element?  I think of the nuances as the storm by storm subtleties – elevational/geographic snow line, banding, snow density, etc.

As I recall Will mentioning, the spine of the Northern Greens has got relatively low variability with respect to annual snowfall – it’s more difficult for us to deviate heavily from average on either end.  I think part of that is due to the fact that we just get so many storms (typically 40 to 60 accumulating events each season at our location, and more in the higher elevations).  If you get to roll the dice that many times, you’re just naturally going to have better chances of not crapping out every single time.  Of course, you’re also not going to get 50 three-footers every season; with that many storms, they can’t all be great.  So, all things being equal, if nuances are at the level of individual storms, and not global patterns, then that sort of “nuance proofs” an area to some degree.

With the mountains here to pull out backside snow, there’s rarely a storm during the winter that we’ll get absolutely zero snow, so in the case of near misses, and even many of the “not so near” misses, we’re typically going to pick up that tenth of an inch of snow to ensure that the storm goes into the books (or at least my books).  Our number of “chances” is on the low end this season (only 29 storms as of March 9th), which may speak to an element of the pattern vs. the luck from individual events.

Regardless of the definitions, I think there was a lot more to this season than even just missing by a few hundred miles.  All those near misses we saw? – even if they were hits, we’d still be well below average on snowfall.  Many of us are behind on snowfall up here by more than most people’s entire seasonal averages.  At my location it would take roughly a dozen warning-level events just to catch up to mean snowfall at this point in the season.  Based on my numbers, even if those close calls to the west of us had been hits, I just don’t think the storms were there.  A quick look through my files reveals five solid storms that were to the west of us that might be considered near misses.  Let’s be gracious with 10” per storm and say that those five storms gave us that extra 50 inches of snow that was mentioned earlier in the thread.  We’d still be well below average and people would be discussing why that was the case.

Anyway, fun discussion and I think the original forecast was great.  Folks can argue about the definitions of nuances etc., but I think it takes a special combination of factors, more than just nuances, to get a spot with low snowfall variance like the Northern Greens to come in with once in 50 to 100 years type snowfall numbers.

Within the context of the hemispheric pattern,  its noise.

I have already said, I am not claiming that it would have been a great winter, otherwise.

That's sort of what I mean...it takes a bad pattern along with some nuances to get that in the hole.

The mountains may very well end over 150" in the hole... that's 15 storms of 10". Think about that. That's like missing 4 storms of 10" each per month all winter long.

That's more than just a few bad breaks away from normal.

BUT I will still say this is a local problem to western SNE and NNE...or pretty much anyone that averages 80-100"+....where one or two storms don't make or break the season. But in spots like eastern New England that had numerous near misses with coastal storms and the averages are such that missing 2-3 systems can be the difference between above and below normal snow.

Ray's points are certainly valid where his forecast was focused on.

Absolutely.

It was a bad pattern, too.

This conversation is independent of my outlook...as far as I am concerned, the snowfall outlook up here whiffed, regardless of why.

It failed.

This is merely extraneous dialogue independent of that fact.

The real problem this winter - for the month of February in particular - (and I speak for many long range forecasters when I say this) was the strength of the vortex, which is strongly positively correlated with the NAO modality. I'm personally disappointed in myself for missing the resilience of this year's vortex, as I had much of the data in front of me, but thought that the majority of other indicators would more than compensate by forcing a weaker vortex late season. The difficultly is being able to accurately predict the relative vortex strength at long lead times, and when you have competing variables, it's difficult to determine which factor will drive the pattern. Part of that boils down to the relative importance of each indicator insofar as influencing the behavior of a particular index. There are so many “autumn indicators” that long range forecasters have used and continue to utilize, and the more research I conduct, the more I realize that some of them are completely worthless insofar as predictive ability.

I firmly believe that the key aspect of Northeastern winters, particularly near the coast, is not ENSO state or strength, but vortex intensity. Whether you have a strong la nina or a strong el nino, if both the tropospheric and stratospheric polar vorticies are stronger than usual, it’s much more difficult to force a conducive pattern. I’m glad that I went normal to warmer than normal in the Northeast rather than below normal, and my snowfall forecast was very good for the DCA-PHL-NYC-SNE coast corridor, but I wish I saw the magnitude of the above normal warmth. In the end I consider it a "hit" but not as good as my past few winters. LR provides constant learning lessons which is great.

Ray, I think you had a decent call overall as well, particularly in terms of progression. SNE wasn't far off from a much better winter relative to normal. I actually think there's a chance for a winter event later this month, but we'll see on that.

The real problem this winter - for the month of February in particular - (and I speak for many long range forecasters when I say this) was the strength of the vortex, which is strongly positively correlated with the NAO modality. I'm personally disappointed in myself for missing the resilience of this year's vortex, as I had much of the data in front of me, but thought that the majority of other indicators would more than compensate by forcing a weaker vortex late season. The difficultly is being able to accurately predict the relative vortex strength at long lead times, and when you have competing variables, it's difficult to determine which factor will drive the pattern. Part of that boils down to the relative importance of each indicator insofar as influencing the behavior of a particular index. There are so many “autumn indicators” that long range forecasters have used and continue to utilize, and the more research I conduct, the more I realize that some of them are completely worthless insofar as predictive ability.

I firmly believe that the key aspect of Northeastern winters, particularly near the coast, is not ENSO state or strength, but vortex intensity. Whether you have a strong la nina or a strong el nino, if both the tropospheric and stratospheric polar vorticies are stronger than usual, it’s much more difficult to force a conducive pattern. I’m glad that I went normal to warmer than normal in the Northeast rather than below normal, and my snowfall forecast was very good for the DCA-PHL-NYC-SNE coast corridor, but I wish I saw the magnitude of the above normal warmth. In the end I consider it a "hit" but not as good as my past few winters. LR provides constant learning lessons which is great.

Ray, I think you had a decent call overall as well, particularly in terms of progression. SNE wasn't far off from a much better winter relative to normal. I actually think there's a chance for a winter event later this month, but we'll see on that.

Same trap.

I agree 100%.

One of the largest lessons that I have learned is that vortex strength is paramount, and the rest is just details.

I mean, think about it....what are you really trying to glean from the plethora of other indicators....the strength of the vortex and the manner in which it will behave.

We lost sight of the forest through the trees.

Won't happen again....at least in that regard.

Great posts Ray and Isotherm.

It's an interesting discussion and I really hope we can steal a good event before the season is done. I still have this feeling that my only warning event this season will come in April lol. Shades of 2009-2010 when one of the largest events of the season up this way happened on April 27-28 after everything greened up.

It's always a possibility.

Great posts Ray and Isotherm.

It's an interesting discussion and I really hope we can steal a good event before the season is done. I still have this feeling that my only warning event this season will come in April lol. Shades of 2009-2010 when one of the largest events of the season up this way happened on April 27-28 after everything greened up.

It's always a possibility.

Been drawing that analogy for a month now.

• 1 month later...

Once school winds down, I'm going to write up the post seasonal evaluation.

There were some wins, some losses, and a shameful performance in interior NE and especially NNE and Upstate NY...no excuse for that.

As others have correctly called me on, right, wrong, or anything in between, it was ignorant to have been so dismissive of some alternate views, and I will try to avoid that in the moving forward.

Truth be told, I don't think last year's was impressive as it seemed, and I think this year's was better than it seemed.

Chaos tinted glasses.

Departure From Forecast Range
Boston, MA
40-50"  36.9"

New York, NY
30-40”    32.1"

Philadelphia, PA
30-40”    27.5"

Baltimore, MD
30-40"    35.1"

Washington, DC
25-35”    22.2"

Albany, NY
75-85”    16.9"

Hartford, CT
60-70”   26.9"

Providence, RI
30-40”   28.7"

Worcester, MA
80-90”    47.2"

Tolland, CT
70-80”

Wilmington, MA
60-70”    36.5"

Burlington, VT
75-85”   32.2"

Portland, ME
70-80"   49.6"

Concord, NH
  70-80"  29.0"

Anyone have any of these final totals handy?

Departure From Forecast Range
Boston, MA
40-50"  36.9"

New York, NY
30-40”    32.1"

Philadelphia, PA
30-40”    27.5"

Baltimore, MD
30-40"    35.1"

Washington, DC
25-35”    22.2"

Albany, NY