amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Outlook 2016

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure why people get so uptight over this winter forecast stuff, but when you place New England on the edge of positive precip and negative temp anomalies and chuck the last two winters (plus '02-'03) as analogs, it's definitely tipping the scales towards cold and snow.

All I was saying is that I think calling 1+2 as something other than a strong anomaly is mis-characterizing it. I don't think it submarines our winter in and of itself, but it felt like the WeatherBell outlook tossed it just a little too carelessly.

I think part of the problem is that some people may see the actual values of different regions and think that could be bad or good for a specific region. However, you need to look at all regions and see how warm and wide these anomalies are. I don't think it matters if 1-2 is 2.5C or 4C. The whole area is on fire. I look at this and say, the pacific better be decent or we got 32.1F coastals up our fannies. Lucky for us the anomalies are spread out so we may have a decent Pacifoc later on winter.

I'm not sure why people get so uptight over this winter forecast stuff, but when you place New England on the edge of positive precip and negative temp anomalies and chuck the last two winters (plus '02-'03) as analogs, it's definitely tipping the scales towards cold and snow.

All I was saying is that I think calling 1+2 as something other than a strong anomaly is mis-characterizing it. I don't think it submarines our winter in and of itself, but it felt like the WeatherBell outlook tossed it just a little too carelessly.

I  wasn't upset.......just the way I post.

Maybe a smiley would have helped...

Yea, he may have simplified things a bit too much, but I thought it was fine.

We were "on the edge"......not immersed.

Hence normal.....I think he was trying to convey the idea that this is not like your parents' strong el nino....I agree that '03 and '10 were not the best choices, though.

True.

I  wasn't upset.......just the way I post.

Maybe a smiley would have helped...

Yea, he may have simplified things a bit too much, but I thought it was fine.

We were "on the edge"......not immersed.

Hence normal.....I think he was trying to convey the idea that this is not like your parents' strong el nino....I agree that '03 and '10 were not the best choices, though.

True.

We're all pretty much saying the same thing. On the edge, playing with fire a bit.

Anyone with a high confidence snowfall forecast for any winter is just trying to sell you snake oil.

if I have one crystal ball thought its I expect a 1-25'year like superstorm to affect the country,what side we are on who knows,seems logical these great opposing contrasts of SAE caused cold cryosphere and a super anomalous Pacific would create the right ingredients for a triple phaser.

if I have one crystal ball thought its I expect a 1-25'year like superstorm to affect the country,what side we are on who knows,seems logical these great opposing contrasts of SAE caused cold cryosphere and a super anomalous Pacific would create the right ingredients for a triple phaser.

James, is that you?

Absolutely....elevated risk.

Archived