amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Outlook 2016

40/70 Benchmark

Enjoy, guys.

This forum played as large a role in the damn thing as I did:

http://easternmassweather.blogspot.com

Awesome.  I'm only part way through but something that stuck out to me was in the opening paragraph:

"I tend to utilize the inverse of the traditional methodology in that I place more emphasis on snowfall rather than temperatures, which if anything is even more challenging since snowfall is subject to such a high degree of variance."

I never really thought about it before, but its true that the vast majority of seasonal outlooks are revolving around temperature departures.  Snowfall is sometimes like a bonus guess at the end of the forecast, but you just don't see outlooks that focus much more on the snowfall side of things rather than temperature.  Snowfall is often an after-thought that might be speculated on in one paragraph, not the main point of the outlook.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome.  I'm only part way through but something that stuck out to me was in the opening paragraph:

"I tend to utilize the inverse of the traditional methodology in that I place more emphasis on snowfall rather than temperatures, which if anything is even more challenging since snowfall is subject to such a high degree of variance."

I never really thought about it before, but its true that the vast majority of seasonal outlooks are revolving around temperature departures.  Snowfall is sometimes like a bonus guess at the end of the forecast, but you just don't see outlooks that focus much more on the snowfall side of things rather than temperature.  Snowfall is often an after-thought that might be speculated on in one paragraph, not the main point of the outlook.

Its because the vast majority have their motive derived from energy interests...that, and the variance deters many from bothering.

not reading

this Buds for you

"I will conclude this winter 2016 Outlook with the parting message that if you happen to be one of those "equal chances" disciples, who attempt to affix a gross generalization to each and every powerful +ENSO event, then I suggest you seek therapy for that acute ENSO PTSD affliction with great haste because you just may be "forced" into reaching for that shovel after all."

this Buds for you

"I will conclude this winter 2016 Outlook with the parting message that if you happen to be one of those "equal chances" disciples, who attempt to affix a gross generalization to each and every powerful +ENSO event, then I suggest you seek therapy for that acute ENSO PTSD affliction with great haste because you just may be "forced" into reaching for that shovel after all."

cold and snowly like i expected :lol:

i knew i didn't have to read it

I meant a KU....not necessarily Super storm '93, of the blizzard or '78.

It maybe a hugger, too.

If you take all the big coastal storms over the past 10 years, the East Coast from the mid-Atlantic to New England has probably averaged at least 1 per winter (a couple winters have zero, but a bunch of winters have 2 or even 3). 

This is probably not as much of a stretch as some folks may think, calling for 1 big east coast snow event, either interior or coast.

Loved the write up, just getting to the end now.  Where did those images from the "forecast" section come from?  Like the ones titled January 2016, February 2016, etc?

If you take all the big coastal storms over the past 10 years, the East Coast from the mid-Atlantic to New England has probably averaged at least 1 per winter (a couple winters have zero, but a bunch of winters have 2 or even 3). 

This is probably not as much of a stretch as some folks may think, calling for 1 big east coast snow event, either interior or coast.

Loved the write up, just getting to the end now.  Where did those images from the "forecast" section come from?  Like the ones titled January 2016, February 2016, etc?

EURO.

I wish he would express his thoughts, a lot of people say he knows his stuff. All I see is snark and disrespect, that was funny...... in 2002 when he was just a kid.

He PMs me from time to time before events.....good analysis.

Just different on the boards.

I think he has a little "reverse psych" Kevin in him, too.

LR forecasting really started professionally in the energy sector. So it is no surprise that temperatures were always the focus.

For most winter lover though, snowfall is the main variable they care about, not temperatures. While the two are obviously correlated to some extent (much moreso down south of us), very few winter enthusiasts will be jumping for joy when another 1980s cold and snowless winter comes along. They'll take another 2012-2013 any day of the week over the 1980s abominations.

LR forecasting really started professionally in the energy sector. So it is no surprise that temperatures were always the focus.

For most winter lover though, snowfall is the main variable they care about, not temperatures. While the two are obviously correlated to some extent (much moreso down south of us), very few winter enthusiasts will be jumping for joy when another 1980s cold and snowless winter comes along. They'll take another 2012-2013 any day of the week over the 1980s abominations.

Perhaps the earliest seasonal forecasts were for precipitation for agricultural interests, as the shift to energy analysis evolved more and more forecasts concentrated on HDD. 

Perhaps the earliest seasonal forecasts were for precipitation for agricultural interests, as the shift to energy analysis evolved more and more forecasts concentrated on HDD. 

There was basically no skill in LR forecasts before the 1980s...so it didn't really become a wider scope profession until the past couple decades.

Your mobile is the issue.

I did not criticize the theory, I criticized his unwillingness to acknowledge last year's shortcoming. 

Good methodology, bad season...just admit it instead of distorting reality.

One failed season in this business does not significantly its validity.

Perceptions, sure, but those are in fact misperceptions

I suggest you read it again on a laptop because you have missed it.

The SAI has only been in use for a few years, so one year makes up a pretty significant percentage of its predictive test results. Also note that I didn't say you criticized the theory, I said you "you spent a lot of time in the 2014-15 recap criticizing Cohen's postseason victory claims." I then added my own personal opinion, which is that maybe you could have been a bit more "critical" of, or in my words expressed less confidence in, the theory.

And I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the formatting issues, but the issue is not my mobile. This is a screenshot from my desktop, which I tried using both Chrome and IE with the same result:

blog_zpsnjjsl9vz.jpg

Yeah makes sense.  I was thinking more for even the like local news stations that do these forecasts...they can't be doing any of it for energy or agricultural reasons, right?  Seems like entertainment more than anything.  I like the idea of more seasonal forecasts for snowfall, but I can also see why folks wouldn't want to.  I certainly wouldn't want to, lol.  One or two big events or big misses and your forecast can be rendered useless.

And yeah, cold without snow is fun for a few days, lol.  Not a whole winter. 

The SAI has only been in use for a few years, so one year makes up a pretty significant percentage of its predictive test results. Also note that I didn't say you criticized the theory, I said you "you spent a lot of time in the 2014-15 recap criticizing Cohen's postseason victory claims." I then added my own personal opinion, which is that maybe you could have been a bit more "critical" of, or in my words expressed less confidence in, the theory.

And I wasn't trying to be a jerk about the formatting issues, but the issue is not my mobile. This is a screenshot from my desktop, which I tried using both Chrome and IE with the same result:

blog_zpsnjjsl9vz.jpg

.....And it's been pretty damn good in those few years.

My confidence in the theory is not shaken, so I did not feel the need to express that it was.

If  you read thoroughly, I explicitly stated what I feel interfered last year.

There are no independent variables here.

Its a tool, like everything else.

No offense taken...but I do not see the issue with that.

I mean, I'm no professional, but looks fine to me.

.....And it's been pretty damn good in those few years.

My confidence in the theory is not shaken, so I did not feel the need to express that it was.

If  you read thoroughly, I explicitly explained what I feel interfered last year.

There are no independent variables here.

No offense taken...but I do not see the issue with that.

I mean, I'm no professional, but looks fine to me.

I read it thoroughly. You mentioned solar and the QBO as potential reasons why the SAI failed last year, and that the lesson learned was to give them greater consideration. But then you stated that although the QBO could again be hostile to -N/AO this year, you didn't give it much weight because there isn't enough information on it. My opinion is that the magnitude of the index's failure last year has to be given some consideration, and if solar and/or QBO were to blame then they could have a significant effect this year as well. Just from a timing perspective, if there was an unaccounted-for variable that interfered with the signal last year, then this year would seem to have an elevated chance of it reoccurring just due to the proximity to last year and the chance of the variable still existing in an interfering state. It is possible for us to agree to disagree about it without questioning the other's reading comprehension skills...

Regarding the formatting, look at the word "driver" that ends the first sentence of the first paragraph: "drive" is on the first line, and "r" starts the second line. Or the second line of the first paragraph which ends with the letter "h" and continues on the next line with "owever".

Archived