joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Capital Weather Gang - 2015-16 Winter Outlook

Deck Pic

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very reasonable....tad warmer and less snowy than I had.

Good luck....love the presentation.

You are a very adept public speaking.

I, on the other hand, will stick to writing :lol:

I think I speak for pretty much everyone in the MA forum when I say that I'd feel terrible for you if that's all you end up with. :(

Well, I'd feel terribly if Caribou, ME only received 80".

I'm sure Atlanta would weep for you if you were held under 20"....fun game, I guess.

Certainly is.

You have to realize that many people around here are incredibly sensitive to having folks from places with "superior" snow climo make comments about their backyards being "less snowy" or something similar, despite those average or below average winters being similar to a blockbuster around here.

Just my opinion, but Atlanta cannot, by any stretch, be considered a place that should ever expect any kind of meaningful snowfall.  That's kind of why being here is tough - we can snow enough to make it sometimes seem like we should regularly get in on the action (and our blockbuster storms are about as big as they come), but we can also fail so horribly when places not terribly far away just rake it in.  Basically, MA snow lovers have fragile psyches, and we can scale the absolute heights of snow ecstasy one minute, but troll the depths of snow despair in the next.  I do hear what you're saying, though.

I'm just giving you s**t.  We'd give our (or our husbands') left nuts to have 50-55" of snow in any winter, and wouldn't complain one bit.  Wait...Ji would complain, but no one else would.

Certainly is.

You have to realize that many people around here are incredibly sensitive to having folks from places with "superior" snow climo make comments about their backyards being "less snowy" or something similar, despite those average or below average winters being similar to a blockbuster around here.

Just my opinion, but Atlanta cannot, by any stretch, be considered a place that should ever expect any kind of meaningful snowfall.  That's kind of why being here is tough - we can snow enough to make it sometimes seem like we should regularly get in on the action (and our blockbuster storms are about as big as they come), but we can also fail so horribly when places not terribly far away just rake it in.  Basically, MA snow lovers have fragile psyches, and we can scale the absolute heights of snow ecstasy one minute, but troll the depths of snow despair in the next.  I do hear what you're saying, though.

I'm just giving you s**t.  We'd give our (or our husbands') left nuts to have 50-55" of snow in any winter, and wouldn't complain one bit.  Wait...Ji would complain, but no one else would.

Having been on the forums for over a decade now...the unwritten etiquette of posting in another region's thread (or subforum)sort of goes like this:

1. Don't tell them they've had a great winter if you have and they haven't. (i.e. actually research how they have done if you weren't paying attention)

2. Know the climo of that region if you are going to post about their weather, model solutions, snow chances, etc.

3. Don't say you wish the next storm will hit them and miss you because everyone will know you are lying....root for them to steal their snow from North Carolina or something or root for an all-inclusive storm

Having been on the forums for over a decade now...the unwritten etiquette of posting in another region's thread (or subforum)sort of goes like this:

1. Don't tell them they've had a great winter if you have and they haven't. (i.e. actually research how they have done if you weren't paying attention)

2. Know the climo of that region if you are going to post about their weather, model solutions, snow chances, etc.

3. Don't say you wish the next storm will hit them and miss you because everyone will know you are lying....root for them to steal their snow from North Carolina or something or root for an all-inclusive storm

Or just admit that you really don't care how much anybody else gets as long as you get a good snow.  If somebody else has to be shut out for that to happen, so be it.

Certainly is.

I wasn't trying  to pi$$ anyone off.

BTW, I said I'd be fine with 55".

And if I wasn't, I would go back to my own thread to complain. :lol:

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm not accusing 40/70 of anything, of course...

;)

Or just admit that you really don't care how much anybody else gets as long as you get a good snow.  If somebody else has to be shut out for that to happen, so be it.

Absolutely.  Case in point: I would never say something to the Richmond folks about wanting them to get hit and not me because it wouldn't be genuine.  Unless we get a region- or East Coast-wide storm, then we often need them to mix if we're to get into the best stuff.  They know that, so there's no need to say anything about it.

Same goes for you regarding mixing IMBY.

Oh well...I didn't quite mean this to start a discussion about pissing in each others' Wheaties! :lol:

My interforum posting etiquette does need work, though....I forget where I am sometimes lol

The snow with a +NAO miscue last month was a prime example.

Didn't even mean it.

We had two good winters in a row without a -AO or -NAO.

We have had terrible winters with a -AO and -NAO.

I'll go with the good winter.  I don't give two you know what's how we get it.

We had two good winters in a row without a -AO or -NAO.

We have had terrible winters with a -AO and -NAO.

I'll go with the good winter.  I don't give two you know what's how we get it.

I'm pretty confident that if we don't get some decent periods of legitimate -NAO, then we're going to have some trouble this year.  Of course, no one knows whether or not we'll have a raging +NAO, 'roided-up -NAO, or something in between, so there's no use worrying about it right now.

My snake-bitten, tormented a$$ lived vicariously through your forum in 2010, so different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I suppose so.  What did you have in total that year?

Obviously, things are all relative, but a ratter for you and a ratter for us are in two different worlds.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  I'm not accusing 40/70 of anything, of course...

;)

Absolutely.  Case in point: I would never say something to the Richmond folks about wanting them to get hit and not me because it wouldn't be genuine.  Unless we get a region- or East Coast-wide storm, then we often need them to mix if we're to get into the best stuff.  They know that, so there's no need to say anything about it.

Same goes for you regarding mixing IMBY.

Oh well...I didn't quite mean this to start a discussion about pissing in each others' Wheaties! :lol:

if you honestly wished for someone else to get snow and not you, id be generally concerned for your well being. 

if you honestly wished for someone else to get snow and not you, id be generally concerned for your well being. 

I agree.

I got like 54.5", but you have to understand that everyone else around me got clobbered.....even NYC and CT poured snow while I amassed puddles in the retrograde system.

And the whiffs....not complaining, but I was asked.

I wanted the record, which I fell 1' short of.

You would think the all-time record would be toast in a season that featured 90" in 3 weeks, but it wasn't.

2nd half of Feb and March laid a cold, dry terd.

And if not for a pattern change giving you a terd and us a bone, there could have been a bloody war between our areas! Lol

I wanted the record, which I fell 1' short of.

You would think the all-time record would be toast in a season that featured 90" in 3 weeks, but it wasn't.

2nd half of Feb and March laid a cold, dry terd.

I don't usually post much but I was in Boston that winter and man I don't think that 3 week stretch will ever be topped for me.  

Just moved to DC this year, so good to see some familiar faces in this subforum  :lol:

Archived