joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like it is down to a 2-4 inch fringe snowfall which seems to happen a lot. I have hope though that it is still 3 days out and tonight and tomorrow's models will get a better handle on it. The Canadian seems to hug the coast as it moves up and out but the others move it out quicker. I think our best hope at this point is to have it come back NW somewhat and we can get into the 8-10 range. Otherwise it is what it is. For those that were around in Jan 1996 I do remember the forecast starting with 1-3, 2-4 and continuing to climb upward for that storm. We did not have internet or models but if it came that far north once before it can do it again.

I am going to watch Pitt beat NC State tonight and then come home to see tonight's models come back north.

Oh Canada!

If this turns out to not be our storm - I hope for everyone here that we get the one we are hoping for this winter. Seems like a lot of disappointment over the years.

Honestly all I want is a 8-12 type deal with heavy snow. Maybe this comes back NW. It wouldn't take much for a shift but the SE trend has been in full effect.

According to the 7-year rule, the next big storm out this way should be next winter, but maybe we get lucky and hit it this year.  Even if this storm misses there is still February when confluence generally weakens allowing for less-suppressed systems.

Still a bit wishy-washy and I hate being on the "fringe" of something big.  Just like a bullseye seven days out is almost always bad, being on the fringe near the 48 hour mark is equally bad (or at least nerve wracking).  That said I have seen a fringe event go to a major hit within the 36-hour window (that might have been the second February storm in 2010), so you never really know.

We don't need much of a shift. If the next few runs just adjust things slightly north we will be back in it quickly. 

Yeah, verbatim 18z isn't terrible. I'm more concerned that if this is a trend we will see the GFS tick South and Euro Tick North until they meet in the middle but ultimately that will put us out of the game.

From what I've seen the past couple days on the GFS, the 850 and 500 mb vort maps, continue to look pretty decent setup wise, despite what the surface is showing as far sensible weather goes.

Mabey my untrained eyes aren't seeing the whole picture, but to me it looks like a classic setup, especially with the nice easterly 850 mb fetch of the atlantic.

???

From what I've seen the past couple days on the GFS, the 850 and 500 mb vort maps, continue to look pretty decent setup wise, despite what the surface is showing as far sensible weather goes.

Mabey my untrained eyes aren't seeing the whole picture, but to me it looks like a classic setup, especially with the nice easterly 850 mb fetch of the atlantic.

???

Agree...that fetch is what can do it

All of these mets thinks this come further north. Bernie, JB and some other americanwx mets but we shall see with these next two suites.

I wouldn't expect Bernie and JB to say anything other than that.  Heh.  Let's see what the 0z suite has in store for us.  Would be nice not to see any more signs of a southern shift. Tonight and 12z tomorrow are the big ones.  There's always a NW trend, right? :)

I wouldn't expect Bernie and JB to say anything other than that. Heh. Let's see what the 0z suite has in store for us. Would be nice not to see any more signs of a southern shift. Tonight and 12z tomorrow are the big ones. There's always a NW trend, right? :)

Only when we don't want it. I may need to find my picture of Mario ground pounding the snow away from us.

Archived