• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

From what I've seen the past couple days on the GFS, the 850 and 500 mb vort maps, continue to look pretty decent setup wise, despite what the surface is showing as far sensible weather goes.

Mabey my untrained eyes aren't seeing the whole picture, but to me it looks like a classic setup, especially with the nice easterly 850 mb fetch of the atlantic.

???

I saw earthlight posted that there is a lobe of energy swinging around the PV that happens to time itself perfectly with our amplifying storm. This beats down ridging along the coast and helps keep the storm from gaining latitude. Plus the Euro is showing a storm crashing onto the west coast that is pretty strong which is pumping the ridge in the west so the wave that becomes the storm can dig further south. Thats my understanding but both of those 2 pieces could easily change to lead to a more favorable outcome.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This range is not the NAM's wheelhouse, and that's putting it lightly.  I've seen it score a coup before, but that's pretty rare to say the least.  The precip in the ~80 hour range is always overdone, that much is true.  It is minimally encouraging to see the North makeup still exist on at least one model (though I suppose we should say two with the DGEX, as if it really counts).

Trough looks inverted there on the NAM, a really massive storm.  A storm that strong, of course, would actually pull to the west as it intensifies.  Overall less progressive.  I still see that feature coming into the PAC NW and we probably want that to be a bit weaker at end-game.  Also a textbook banana high.  I think the ULL even on the NAM is farther south than we'd like - sitting over South Carolina - but depending on how the system moves it may not be all bad.

Archived