• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

Man this one is going to sting. I wouldn't care nearly as much if it the max potential was some where around a foot, but this looks to be a historic storm. Hard to believe how many major snowstorms DC and suburbs have gotten in recent years. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since we're 48 hours out from the onset, I'll go with 4-8" on my first call south of I-70 down to Morgantown, and 2-6" between Butler and I-70.  South of Morgantown and you're looking at 8-12" probably, definitely more into the mountains to the East.  I can easily see these totals moving in either direction.

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE

NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD

1343Z WED JAN 20 2016

THE 12Z NAM BEGAN AND IS RUNNING ON TIME WITH 14 ALASKAN...31

CANADIAN...73 CONUS...9 MEXICAN...AND 8 CARIBBEAN RAOB REPORTS

AVAILABLE FOR INGEST.

12Z NAM RAOB RECAP...

70414/SYA - MISSING TTBB

76225/CUU - 10156...WEAK SIGNAL

78073/NAS - 10148...ASCENT NOT AUTHORIZED FOR THIS PERIOD

91348/PNI - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 673-671 MB, 613-610

MB...SUPER-ADIABATIC LAPSE RATE

91376/MAJ - PURGED TEMPS/MOISTURE 767-756 MB...SUPER-ADIABATIC

LAPSE RATE

78970/POS - PURGED ALL HGTS/TEMPS...PORTIONS LOW/COLD

CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS...

CWD WILL BE DECLARED AT 21/1200Z AND EXTEND THROUGH 24/1200Z DUE

TO ANTICIPATED IMPACTS FROM A LATE WEEK WINTER STORM IMPACTING

THE U.S. EAST COAST.

IN SUPPORT OF MONITORING THE EVOLUTION OF A LATE WEEK WINTER

STORM EXPECTED TO IMPACT THE U.S. EAST COAST, SPECIAL SOUNDINGS

ARE REQUESTED BEGINNING TODAY AT 1800Z. ALL REGIONAL DIRECTORS

HAVE APPROVED THE SPECIAL SOUNDING RELEASE SCHEDULE BELOW. IF

THERE ARE ANY QUESTIONS, CONTACT YOUR REGION OR THE SDM.

*** SPECIAL SOUNDING REQUESTS ***

CENTRAL REGION: ENTIRE REGION FROM 20/1800Z TO 22/0600Z

SOUTHERN REGION: EXCLUDING NM AND FL...FROM TX EASTWARD BEGINNING

FROM 21/1800Z TO 22/1800Z

EASTERN REGION: WFOs RNK, GSO, MHX, IAD, PIT, OKX, ALB, CHH

BEGINNING FROM 21/1800Z TO 23/0600Z.

READY/SDM/NCO/NCEP

Since we're 48 hours out from the onset, I'll go with 4-8" on my first call south of I-70 down to Morgantown, and 2-6" between Butler and I-70.  South of Morgantown and you're looking at 8-12" probably, definitely more into the mountains to the East.  I can easily see these totals moving in either direction.

Move your I-70 line to I-80 and I'd agree. I-80 to I-70 4"-8", East of Plum down through Irwin 10", Somerset and points south and east you get pounded(Can you say a foot of fresh powder at Seven Springs)) DC I feel a historic bust coming, 6-10" in Metro DC, Hagerstown to the PA line the sweet spot 18'+. When I hear the words "historic" being thrown around, kiss of death.

I like the trends so far. We are now 2 days out and if we can wobble another 50 miles north over the next 5 or 6 models we should get into some higher totals.. I still remember Jan 1996 where we went from 2-4 to 3-6 to 4-8 and then 10-20 final over the last 2 days. Not saying it will happen but just saying it has happened and can happen. I have learned my lesson over the years and you can not be jealous of someone else. If DC gets 20 inches..so be it. I care what we get. If I get 4-6 I will enjoy it. Somebody will always get more. When we got our last 16 inch snowfall did I care that DC and Philly had 25? No. Let's keep this north trend going and get what we get. WE all know the drill. If it was Christmas week and we were getting 2-4 we would be happy but now some people aren't because it isn't 20. We will get our foot and usually when we do it is a surprise.

Maybe this will be that storm. The Detour sign is fighting for us.

I said yesterday that I thought the Euro would come back north a little and we'd end up with something in between the Euro and the GFS. I said probably a 1-3 or 2-4 in Allegheny County. I'm still thinking that as of now. Local mets seem to be going with that as well. I'll say 2-4. I don't think the models are going to move much more from here on out, now that the storm is sampled, but with the tight gradient, even a slight shift could make the difference between getting next to nothing and possibly getting warning criteria snow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Considering that this timing is exactly the same as feb '10....

Anyone have the wed models from then? Were they still this iffy? Doesnt mean anything concrete, but curious

I was here then and yes very similar, we were on the NW cusp of things and then about a day out the 1' line kept creeping towards us  The DC boards were all a buzz with words "Historic" being thrown around. If this was tomorrow afternoon, I'd be more confident. I'll wait till the 0z runs with new data ingested in them including fresh soundings to either get real excited or admit I was wrong.

Considering that this timing is exactly the same as feb '10....

Anyone have the wed models from then? Were they still this iffy? Doesnt mean anything concrete, but curious

No. I mean I think for a week it basically showed us getting a foot plus of snow, except maybe a run or two it drifted south and gave us 3-6 inches (and pgh rants cancelled the storm lol), but then immediately went back to a crushing hit.

The reason people remember uncertainty is because the local mets kept calling for 3-6 up until the start of the event, even at 6pm that night when we already had 4 inches. We knew, and the nws knew that it was going to be huge as nws I think put out 8-16 that morning.

I don't think the models are going to move much more from here on out, now that the storm is sampled, but with the tight gradient, even a slight shift could make the difference between getting next to nothing and possibly getting warning criteria snow.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Way to go out on a limb and contradict yourself. ;-)

Nothing at all on the EURO for Pgh area

Sharp edge is about 20-30 miles to your southeast.  Basically the NW tip of Garrett County MD is at 1" qpf and it starts going down FAST going NW from there.  that count to the NW of Garrett goes from 1" along its southeat tip to only .1 on the nw side. 

The trend south of the primary and earlier transfer to a secondary along the GA/SC coast instead of further north means the WAA thump probably cuts off before doing much into PA

Indeed I think the Euro is faster.  It essentially just slides south and almost due east.  It cuts back on QPF quite a bit even for the main areas of precip.  Like with most of the GFS Ensemble members, almost all of them have very little around the mason-dixon line in SW Pa.

I'll hang in through 12Z tomorrow; the recent Euro isn't exactly encouraging, would nearly mean a drop of all WSW from our area (meaning any more movement and this could become a WWA event at best).

For those wanting to see, this is the Euro snow map from the MA forum (sorry it cuts off everyone to the north, but as you can see there isn't much to show that direction): https://img.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://img.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/files/2016/01/ecmwf_tsnow_washdc_21.png&w=1484

Greene county would go from 0" to 6 inches W to E, Monongalia in WV would go from 2" to 12" W to E.  That looks all too familiar.

Seems like the models are all in agreement now of the over all general setup for this storm and unfortunately it leaves us on the outside looking in. Possibility remains that a 50-100 mile north or south jog of the precip shield could happen and given the tight gradient will make a big difference for folks on either side of it. I doubt what was printed today is exactly what will verify. Today's runs have the low going NE rather than hugging the coast and stalling out further west so we get nothing form the CCB.

There still a shot at a modest snow fall (4-8) region wide, but the foot + is probably off the table now. I think there is a better chance we get nothing though given the GEFS are all SE too. Just gotta face this is not our storm. It makes it hard to swallow knowing its going to be a historic blizzard for some locations and we a couple counties away from something decent.

Archived