joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw a great post over at PhillyWx explaining why the Euro is keeping the storm so far South:

Here is the main difference I am seeing with regards to the Euro and the GFS..  If you look at H5 hr panel 96 on both the next wave of energy crashing onto the west coast is affecting the trough in the east.  In the case of the GFS it's not as deep therefore allows the low to gain more latitude

gfs_z500a_sd_us_17.png

In the case of the Euro the next wave of energy crashing into northern Cali is pumping up the ridge out west a bit more and deepening the trough in the east more allowing the low dig more before it starts to move NE.  

ecmwf_z500a_sd_us_5.png

Saw a great post over at PhillyWx explaining why the Euro is keeping the storm so far South:

Here is the main difference I am seeing with regards to the Euro and the GFS..  If you look at H5 hr panel 96 on both the next wave of energy crashing onto the west coast is affecting the trough in the east.  In the case of the GFS it's not as deep therefore allows the low to gain more latitude

gfs_z500a_sd_us_17.png

In the case of the Euro the next wave of energy crashing into northern Cali is pumping up the ridge out west a bit more and deepening the trough in the east more allowing the low dig more before it starts to move NE.  

ecmwf_z500a_sd_us_5.png

Good Point. In other words we won't know which way it goes until the storm comes onto the west coast and plays out from there. Probably late tonight or tomorrow.

Well, I was already right about this going back south when it was still looking good for us. I'm not bragging about that believe me. I was hoping to be wrong, but I know how these models can play out still days away from an event. That's why I don't get my hopes up anymore, more than 3 days away. I'll take another stab at this and say that this system will probably end up somewhere in between where the GFS and Euro currently stand. I think the Euro probably went too far south and will come back north a little. Probably not enough to give us anything exciting though. Probably a fringe event like I brought up a couple of days ago. Maybe a 1-3 or 2-4 across the county. We'll see what happens tomorrow though. Wednesday has been the day all along that was going to give us a better idea about this storm.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Latest from Bastardi on the Euro coming in south:

"I was not expecting to see what I am seeing out of the Euro on this run. I having a tough time figuring out why this would go that far south, so 4 days out, I will hold my position. Its most disturbing because a) I dont understand why this would not simply bowl east through the mid atlantic aloft, with one center to Kentucky, the other to the va capes then out northeast south of New England. cool.gif it would mean the storm is further south. C) it would open the door for it to go even further south.

But the pattern to me does not support that. I can hear every argument about the modeling, and understand why people look at models and say this and that. But what has changed so much? Until its in the nations midsection and we can look harder at it, then I dont see the reason to flip flop yet. So I will hold my ground now.

Again, I look at this, and I understand the model is seeing more confluence holding to the north and thinking the system will have energy that can force it to reform further south, but it does not seem right to me that a storm with an interior track like that and so much warm water is shoved out. As it is, the control takes a center into Chesapeake bay like the Canadian...But I won't try to hide it, I am rattled by this"

From Henry Margusity:

State College - 11.5"

Altoona - 14"

Harrisburg - 18"

Pittsburgh - 10"

Lancaster - 24"

Philly - 22"

Baltimore - 24"

Washington - 24" (28-34" west of D.C.)

New York City - 13"

Allentown - 12"

Medford, New Jersey - 12" mix

Boston - 8"

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/meteomadness/major-storm-will-produce-heavy-snows-severe-weather-and-flooding/54892402

If anyone can recall, wasn't it the NAM that first nailed the trends for the 2010 storm? 

The NAM did but I think it was mostly because it has a bias to be further north and/or overdo precip and it happened to coincidentally be right in the end. I'd rather have it much more north now than what it is showing. I guess we are all in with the GGEM lol

12z GFS PARA looks good 10+

GFS-PARA_QPFtotal_ne4_f144.png?v=1453236

Looks better than most, although even it went south/east a bit with precip. It just stinks that besides the GGEM, everything went in the wrong direction. I would just like to see 1 adjust back north even if it is slight

Archived