• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

I actually think that once the low transfers the best spot is going to be the east side of the apps along the blue ridge. Kind of happened last year with the big low in February, the further west you went the less snow. Example. I live In jefferson, we had 13 inches, at my boss's house which is in on the west side, Crumpler i believe, she had 9 inches. i'm not sure if this setup will have the same results, but I do believe the heaviest amounts will be the western foothills and east side of the mtns. I don't have much data to back it up, more of a hunch.

There will be both NW and SE wind enhancements along with snows associated with the upper level low.  It will likely create a crazy quilt pattern of snow over Western NC especially with a mix thrown in for good measure for the SW areas.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There will be both NW and SE wind enhancements along with snows associated with the upper level low. It will likely create a crazy quilt pattern of snow over Western NC especially with a mix thrown in for good measure for the SW areas.

Yeah a very dynamic system for sure. This type setup kind of reminds me of the Christmas weekend storm when we had a system from the south then we had one heck of an upslope snow the day after Christmas.

If it does happen that way for AVL with 1.5 QPF that could be real ugly. Worse than a foot of snow.

I'm not sure if it's onto something or not. HRRR seems at odds with it in the next 12 hours. EPS also doesn't support the new NAM solution. Will be critical to see the GFS if it trends the same way (i.e., less snow and much more mix).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's onto something or not. HRRR seems at odds with it in the next 12 hours. EPS also doesn't support the new NAM solution. Will be critical to see the GFS if it trends the same way (i.e., less snow and much more mix).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HRRR is also 4 degrees too warm at 9 pm. I don't trust NAM, but HRRR is a bit odd too.

UNCA will launch the first balloon at 11 pm so we'll find out.

EDIT: The low in Mississippi on mesoanalysis is 3 mb weaker than what NAM is showing at this point, FWIW.

Nam doesn't appear to be correct with different parts. Can't really type out the whole thing on my phone. Also there are still models showing many spots towards the mid 20 inch mark. Favoring the areas close to the blue ridge like I mentioned earlier. I'm done looking at models outside of tonight's run of the GFS.

Nam doesn't appear to be correct with different parts. Can't really type out the whole thing on my phone. Also there are still models showing many spots towards the mid 20 inch mark. Favoring the areas close to the blue ridge like I mentioned earlier. I'm done looking at models outside of tonight's run of the GFS.

At least HRRR and RAP look amazing for us.

Deep breath guys. I don't buy the nam solution. It could be having its feedback issues again. Surprised about the hrrr. I know everyone wants 20" but if you get 8-10" it's still a awesome storm. Way to late to be relying on any long range model stick with the rap/hrrr but better yet sit back and let it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great post Don.

Deep breath guys. I don't buy the nam solution. It could be having its feedback issues again. Surprised about the hrrr. I know everyone wants 20" but if you get 8-10" it's still a awesome storm. Way to late to be relying on any long range model stick with the rap/hrrr but better yet sit back and let it happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To note, the NAM was the only model that continue to give me a strong warm nose , 800 level, over the past two days. However, the GFS continued to work that warm nose out and the last two showed no warm nose at any level. 

Radar continues to look good

Pk5wVe5.png

From GSP this evening:

IT/S QUITE INTERESTING TO COMPARE THE LATEST SURFACE OBS TO THE THE
MOST RECENT MODEL GUIDANCE. NAM SURFACE WET BULB TEMPS...WHICH
DEPICT THE WARMEST AND LEAST DRY SURFACE LAYER IN COMPARISON WITH
THE GFS AND ECMWF...IS VERIFYING PRETTY WELL...WHILE THE GFS AND
ECMWF ARE QUITE A BIT TOO LOW WITH THE WET BULBS. OF COURSE...THIS
DOESN/T MEAN THAT THIS TREND WILL HOLD THROUGHOUT THE UPCOMING
EVENT...BUT IT WILL BE SOMETHING TO WATCH CLOSELY...SINCE THE NAM
CONTINUES TO BE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE MODEL IN PUSHING THE COLD/DRY
SURFACE AIR SOUTHWEST. OVERALL...SAW VERY LITTLE REASON TO TINKER
WITH THE CURRENT PUBLIC FORECAST PAST THE NEXT 6 HOURS.

Archived