Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WxChallenge 2015-16

are you sure that is for KDRO? 

That's from yesterday, buddy xD

From what I can see, we're still at 63/28/16/0.00

That was my bad took a quick glance and saw that. Actual was 64/28/21/0

Rain looks to hold out until tomorrow. I actually have a friend from durango colorado who just text me asking about tomorrow.

Mine for tomorrow

44/32/15/.67 little unsure about precip models showed more USL showed from its earlier run felt pretty confident with that

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm at consensus for precip so this doesn't hurt me a ton, but it's going to be way more than my 0.50".

Honestly, I think around .5" sounds right for today. I know DRO is in a massive radar hole, but I'm not too impressed with what I'm seeing upstream. Maybe I'm being too hopeful that my 0.4" will work out?

EDIT: Looking over data, I can see why you're worry about this event going over 0.5".

Honestly, I think around .5" sounds right for today. I know DRO is in a massive radar hole, but I'm not too impressed with what I'm seeing upstream. Maybe I'm being too hopeful that my 0.4" will work out?

EDIT: Looking over data, I can see why you're worry about this event going over 0.5".

Actually, I should have looked closer at the obs, there are a lot of intra-hour obs...they're only at 0.26" so far...nevermind my comment (although they may still go over 0.50" some)

I'm actually kind of irritated about the high now. I saw the roaring southerly winds but assumed they'd stay above a shallow inversion. They didn't, and they stayed mixed and warm...this isn't the first time I've missed something like that during my WxChallenge "career" so it kind of bugs me even if it doesn't hurt me much (although if I nailed the high I wouldn't care about my low which may end up looking silly).

Actually, I should have looked closer at the obs, there are a lot of intra-hour obs...they're only at 0.26" so far...nevermind my comment (although they may still go over 0.50" some)

I'm actually kind of irritated about the high now. I saw the roaring southerly winds but assumed they'd stay above a shallow inversion. They didn't, and they stayed mixed and warm...this isn't the first time I've missed something like that during my WxChallenge "career" so it kind of bugs me even if it doesn't hurt me much (although if I nailed the high I wouldn't care about my low which may end up looking silly).

Yep, this is what bugs me most about these kinds of things. Happens way too often for me--I see something, but discount it because 1. I can explain why it might not happen, and 2. "How could the models be that wrong?"

Yep, this is what bugs me most about these kinds of things. Happens way too often for me--I see something, but discount it because 1. I can explain why it might not happen, and 2. "How could the models be that wrong?"

To be a winning forecaster you definitely have to know when to push the "button" and go different from guidance...I love it here in Ohio, someone will bust a snow forecast because "the models were all wrong," but then the next storm comes around and you can't get the same person to forecast something because "the models don't show it." It's like WTF (granted, snow storms, especially lake effect, are much different than a nocturnal inversion forming/not forming).

My logic was that the winds would be light enough in the evening and skies clear enough for the inversion to form. Instead they were SCT-BKN when the winds were light, so they didn't drop enough for the inversion to form...and when the winds kicked up it was game over. I suspect had they dropped enough earlier in the evening the inversion would've held...it wasn't CAA and they are in a W-E oriented valley, with 1000 feet higher terrain not far to their south...I suspect a nocturnal inversion and terrain blockage would've kept winds low had the inversion formed and hence kept temperatures lower. We have a hard time mixing out the inversion in Athens at night with just 200 foot hills surrounding where our station is located, even if winds on top of the hills are pushing 15-20MPH.

Yea the high was quite a tricky thing to forecast... but I think you have the right idea OHweather... inversion wasn't very significant or non-existent and so there was deeper boundary layer that allowed winds to mix and furthermore keep temperature up. 

Those in the > 0.5" camp, I wouldn't give up yet. A lot of convective activity expected this afternoon and evening as the upper-level low continues to ejects out of Arizona. I'm hoping things stay minor the rest of the day since I put .42" but I could still envision some convective showers giving them another .2" in the bucket. Moist boundary layer should keep things from dropping below freezing before 06z. 

The 0.27" that I put in Monday morning looks good right now, but It's going to take some luck to keep the showers away for 10 more hours.

I agree with OHWeather...the fun part about the mountain cities is that you know guidance is going to be off by a few degrees (or more) so you can easily go 3-5 degrees away from the USL with reasonable confidence. I get bored when there's little spread in consensus.

Total rain from metar hourlies (@ each :53 mark) add up to .35 as of 2053Z

not bad so far but should still keep going tonight. My friend mentioned it has been snowing just north of his area, higher terrain as of now but he says it might change soon.

Had a brief period of snow earlier. Lets see what happens with the temp over the next couple hours.

Im not sure why im only seeing .24 as of 21z on the main page? Can anyone explain that.

I think they manually adjust the precipitation amount.

As for the temperature later tonight, I doubt the low drops below 31° despite a current temperature of 33.1° (meaning before 06:00 UTC). Light precipitation (either rain or snow), cloudy skies, and moisture will mitigate any substantial cooling.

Edit: Should've been more specific!!!

Precip update:

6-12z = 0.08

12-18z = 0.22

18-00z = 0.27

This is via KDRO metars at every 6 hours:

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/surface/index.php?metarIds=KDRO&hoursStr=past+24+hours&std_trans=standard&num_metars=number&submit_metars=Retrieve

went with 41/18/14/0.02 Not real confident on the precip portion as the ULL seems to stay around a little longer but should be east of the area tomorrow. Also the low i went a little higher than some of the models but still an iffy situation there.

39/22/16/0.02

Very low confidence, but I thought it would be hard to crack 40 with the trough directly overhead and at least some snow on the ground. Speaking of snow, those convective snow showers should taper off tonight, but they might resume tomorrow. The temp then plunges tomorrow night, but high clouds could mess things up. Who knows about the wind. 

37/23/19/0.05"

Had to forecast pretty early but they looked awfully cloudy till close to 0z so went for a cold high. They should get a few hour window tmr evening to drop but wasn't sure how quickly clouds would move back in so didn't go too crazy. We'll see on winds and I don't think they'll get a ton of precip.

They're at 32F now and being in a mountain valley I can se them dragging the dews down and cooling a bit this evening if there's any hint of clearing...any cooler on the low helps me immensely.

39/22/16/0.02

Very low confidence, but I thought it would be hard to crack 40 with the trough directly overhead and at least some snow on the ground. Speaking of snow, those convective snow showers should taper off tonight, but they might resume tomorrow. The temp then plunges tomorrow night, but high clouds could mess things up. Who knows about the wind. 

I went with 39/23/16/.03 for the same reasoning. I don't expect much variation either.

Archived