wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

61/28/19

They had similar 700 mb temperatures today and only reached 57F but they should definitely mix better tomorrow without the early morning rain and afternoon clouds they had today. The low is the biggest crapshoot of all. NWS going 34F gives me pause. I could see how they never quite de-couple and they don't get below 35F or so. At any rate, hoping winds aren't above 5 knots for a good chunk of the night because otherwise it seems like they'll radiate quite well tonight along with potential for some cold air drainage from mountains to the north. The wind was also a hair-puller in this case. I see BUFKIT getting aggressive with 25 kts or more in the BL but the fact that they only reached 17 kts today even though 20 kts+ existed at 700 mb made me weary of going higher than the USL. I'm wondering is some kind of terrain blocking comes into play with westerlies. It seems like it when I look at the IA State windrose plot.

post-532-0-02065200-1445904947_thumb.png

Oh man there is already about to be quite the spread in this city low says 29 but very possibly 28.

Lows and winds will determine the end results kinda like laramie.

Clear mornings over the past month have seen anywhere between 0 and 4 degrees between hours, and given the dew point of 26F, I wouldn't rule out 27. In fact, I think 27 is just as likely as 29, if not more likely. 28 is the most likely value, though.

Clear mornings over the past month have seen anywhere between 0 and 4 degrees between hours, and given the dew point of 26F, I wouldn't rule out 27. In fact, I think 27 is just as likely as 29, if not more likely. 28 is the most likely value, though.

Yea ill have to remember that for here. I figured being at just under 7,000' (6650 something) feel might play a little different role too.

Went 58/20/12 for tomorrow

The dew points are expected to be in the mid to upper 10s early tomorrow morning. They cooled to their dew points as expected this morning and should be clear/fairly calm again tomorrow morning. Wasn't quite confident enough to go in the 10s, but think I'm hopefully on the right side of consensus for low. High was a bit tricky, 700mb temps warm tomorrow 1C or so from today, but clouds move in by 18-19z which should limit mixing heights. Overall went near the warmer end of guidance but am not super confident.

56/21/12

Look like an another solid night of radiational cooling with clear sky and calm winds, which made it easy to go low. Wasn't confident in going 10s, but I could see 20-21. I wasn't that confident on the high, but slight warm bias is consistent with GFS MOS last several days and USL did decent for D1. Plus, clouds are moving in during the afternoon so all of these factors are why I went with 56. Winds, it look like 10-14 knots day so that's my reasoning for 12 knots.

56/20/10/0

Pretty much similar thinking from Jim and WxBlue as far as low temps. I went a little conservative after getting a little aggressive on high temps today. Max should be somewhere between 56-58. Winds are a bit of a question mark and I really wasn't confident on that but at most it's 0.5 pts off of consensus. Hopefully a nice 20F low to keep flying away from consensus! 

I'm shocked they had three straights obs. at 60F with no 61F+ in-between. I don't think I've ever seen that before. 

I know i thought for sure atleast a spike. The wind literally stopped the mixing

57/25/14/0

Don't think we can ignore the clouds tonight.

It will be close to sunrise went a little lower

57/22/13/0

I thought I saw they made it to like 62F or 63F today?  But I only see 60F for the max on the challenge page

I thought so too.

Climo has a high temperature of 60°F and max sustained winds of 26 knots (for anyone curious about the winds).

For tomorrow: 56/23/10

Amazing what one extremely narrow, extremely thin cirrus cloud will do on a radiational cooling night. Not sure how low we got before that bump, though. Again, they've been known to drop anywhere from 0 to 4 degrees between hours, so anything from 21 to 25 wouldn't surprise me. Thinking 24F is most likely.

Archived