• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
WxChallenge 2015-16

Amazing what one extremely narrow, extremely thin cirrus cloud will do on a radiational cooling night. Not sure how low we got before that bump, though. Again, they've been known to drop anywhere from 0 to 4 degrees between hours, so anything from 21 to 25 wouldn't surprise me. Thinking 24F is most likely.

Yeah, I completely missed those thin cirrus clouds.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing what one extremely narrow, extremely thin cirrus cloud will do on a radiational cooling night. Not sure how low we got before that bump, though. Again, they've been known to drop anywhere from 0 to 4 degrees between hours, so anything from 21 to 25 wouldn't surprise me. Thinking 24F is most likely.

Yea amazing thinking 24 also but still WTH. Honestly hoping for 23 and winds to meet above 12. High im pretty sure everyone is about the same so we will see on that

56/32/11/0.06

Zero confidence in any of them.

did they get to 55F today?  I am really confused with this city lol...I thought I saw 63F yesterday when looking at the 3-day history obs and today saw 55F but only see 50F listed

I don't know where you're getting those numbers from. I've only seen 60 and 52.

Climo report: 52/23/10

Unreal.

How they managed 10kts honestly surprises me. I'm surprised they didn't get higher today, but I'm still below consensus after a rather poor forecast from yesterday. 

For tomorrow's forecast, I went 55/35/8/0.02"I literally have no idea how DRO will react to thicker cloud cover moving into the region overnight. Temperatures are currently at 49F as of the 0z Obs, and the USL starts their night out at 35F. Can't imagine they drop terribly sharply tonight even with relatively light winds. Opted not to follow MOS or the USL tonight and debated a number between 32-36, eventually chose the higher side. Tomorrow's high is also a question mark like today. Mixing levels should be higher, but temperatures aloft will be cooler than today. Since today absolutely struggled to get anything going, I went just a couple degrees higher. I wish I had seen climo before going with 8kts tomorrow. That will likely hurt me some, but still a chance that winds stay blocked out of the area. I think they'll see some precip right at the end of the period but went with a slightly later timing and thus  only 0.02". 

We'll revisit this forecast tomorrow, but I feel like I actually gave it a good effort. If it pays off, I'll be well ahead of consensus too!

55/29/9/0.03

MOS suite are too cold on this, but USL isn't doing that bad of job. I thought about going 30-31 because of heavy cloud cover, but I also could see tonight behaving like it did last night. 2353z obs came in at 49/24, which is on the line with colder models on Iowa State's meteogram just like last few nights. These models bottom out around 29-30, so I just went with 29 in case we get intra-hour drop in the morning as Mallow mentioned. The high, I decided to gamble a bit in reaction to today's high and go low at 55 with heavy cloud cover. If anything, with colder aloft air tomorrow, I can also see 53-54 but I don't want to get burn either. Winds, I wasn't sure about this. 700 mb winds doesn't look too intense so I didn't go far from models. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some precipitation, but I also think air is dry-ish so I went a bit below consensus on this. 

FWIW, HRRR got 15-20 knots at 700 mb next few hours so I can see us gaining an another knot or two on top of today's 10 kts.

55/29/9/0.03

MOS suite are too cold on this, but USL isn't doing that bad of job. I thought about going 30-31 because of heavy cloud cover, but I also could see tonight behaving like it did last night. 2353z obs came in at 49/24, which is on the line with colder models on Iowa State's meteogram just like last few nights. These models bottom out around 29-30, so I just went with 29 in case we get intra-hour drop in the morning as Mallow mentioned. The high, I decided to gamble a bit in reaction to today's high and go low at 55 with heavy cloud cover. If anything, with colder aloft air tomorrow, I can also see 53-54 but I don't want to get burn either. Winds, I wasn't sure about this. 700 mb winds doesn't look too intense so I didn't go far from models. It wouldn't surprise me if there are some precipitation, but I also think air is dry-ish so I went a bit below consensus on this. 

FWIW, HRRR got 15-20 knots at 700 mb next few hours so I can see us gaining an another knot or two on top of today's 10 kts.

It also had a 64F high on an earlier run today and was consistently putting out 15kt winds all afternoon... which didn't work out so well. FWIW it had ~40F at 10z which wasn't particularly helpful

It also had a 64F high on an earlier run today and was consistently putting out 15kt winds all afternoon... which didn't work out so well. FWIW it had ~40F at 10z which wasn't particularly helpful

Yeah, wasn't paying attention to winds from HRRR, but I saw that 65 F high as well. I usually use HRRR or 4km NAM for Blue Ridge Mountains around me, so I guess I shouldn't depend on those as much for KDRO :) This is a frustrating city so far, but I think it'll work out okay for all of us.

57/30/9/0.08

Really tough forecast as you guys have mentioned. I was tempted to go higher on the low but was worried they'd have interspersed clear periods where they could drop quickly. The high I really have no idea, the NAM mixes them aggressively during the afternoon but I'm skeptical of that. Didn't look like much wind in the BL so kept that under 10 kts. As far as precipitation, the s/w looked kind of elongated and the best lift definitely looks like it'll be to the south of there but ECMWF and GFS both showed at least a few hundredths. 

Winds should pick up a little and a thicker deck of clouds look to come in the next hour or so. Should cap temps right above 55. Now we just need to see if the rain verifies.

This city is giving me run for my money. Between me and 35th place stands 8pts a lot of which can be made up in the next couple hours.

Archived