Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

82/70/13/0.00

Consensus/USL are eerily similar, you can already tell that the scores here probably won't be extremely low.

Things will be so tightly clustered that if you go different and are right you can pull off a good standardized score...but a couple of mistakes will just as quickly send you the other way.

81/70/11/0

I couldn't seem to get a calculated high of anything higher than about 79 and change using the mixing height/temp. profile on the 18z NAM BUFKIT profile. Of course this could be one of those cities where mid-level temp. forecasts are just way off (see BWI two years ago) but I tend to doubt it since temperature gradients aloft should be weak. Inversion looked pretty pronounced above the moist BL so I'd be surprised if they mixed any higher than shown on the forecast profiles but who knows? Seems they'll be clear tomorrow night and have the chance to drop back to around 70 or maybe even upper 60's per MOS but figured in a fairly high Td environment should take the over on the low. Wind I wasn't sure on, but looks like they typically get to at least 9 or 10 kts on days where the flow is westerly. Decided to go with no precip. though an axis of high theta-e looks like it will move through between about 06 and 09z but with only isolated showers expected concluded it wasn't worth the risk.

82/69/13/0.03

Certainly think no precipitation is possible, but nearly everything I saw brought some showers through in the morning along that aforementioned theta-e axis so I went a few hundredths.  I debated a lower temperature, but with some sun before an afternoon 850mb wind shift, I could see them getting a bit higher too so I ended up raising to 82.

I really don't like cities like this where forecasts are so clustered and every little degree or knot or hundredth of an inch can make your score go haywire.  As much as many don't care for cities with more skill and less tropical "luck," for lack of a better term, sometimes, I enjoy those cities much more!

0.09" with no hourly rain reports lol

Was gonna say "it happens," but then I looked at the METARS. Something fishy about that second 0.02"

KTPA 100953Z 00000KT 10SM FEW015 BKN032 BKN055 24/23 A3000 AO2 RAB13E22 SLP157 P0002 T02390228

KTPA 100853Z 30003KT 10SM FEW009 SCT014 BKN040 24/23 A2999 AO2 SLP155 SCT V BKN P0002 60007 T02440228 56006

KTPA 100753Z 00000KT 6SM BR SCT009 OVC014 24/23 A3000 AO2 RAB22E46 SLP158 P0005 T02390228

For the 0853z obs, there's no report of rain at all, but they still recorded 0.02". From what I've seen in these instances, if caught, those bits of precip are discounted... so we should probably be at 0.07". I have a feeling if nobody mentions it with the NWS and WxChallenge people, it's going to be missed, though.

This irritates me. With CAA and shotty mixing heights I couldn't get a high above 80 on the GFS or NAM. But MOS wins. I hate when MOS wins

If you looked at a mixing argument for yesterday's 84, you would have gotten only a degree or two higher than a mixing argument for today, at best. And yesterday could have gotten higher than 84 if the rain hadn't come in that early.

You always gotta bias-correct direct model output.

If you looked at a mixing argument for yesterday's 84, you would have gotten only a degree or two higher than a mixing argument for today, at best. And yesterday could have gotten higher than 84 if the rain hadn't come in that early.

You always gotta bias-correct direct model output.

I got 2F colder than yesterday on the models that didn't show rain keeping temps down yesterday...I think the rain keeping yesterday cooler messed with me. A large portion of my high temp forecasting comes from correcting for direct model bias and not much of it comes from looking at MOS...perhaps I should've looked closer at what they would've done without rain yesterday.

I got 2F colder than yesterday on the models that didn't show rain keeping temps down yesterday...I think the rain keeping yesterday cooler messed with me. A large portion of my high temp forecasting comes from correcting for direct model bias and not much of it comes from looking at MOS...perhaps I should've looked closer at what they would've done without rain yesterday.

2F colder would have put you at at least 82F today... why didn't you go 82 instead of 81? Also, since they had an 84 hourly yesterday, I figured it could have gone 84 or 85, and that the 84 was probably borderline 85 anyway.

2F colder would have put you at at least 82F today... why didn't you go 82 instead of 81? Also, since they had an 84 hourly yesterday, I figured it could have gone 84 or 85, and that the 84 was probably borderline 85 anyway.

Because I'm a moron and didn't look at obs before 19z for some unknown reason. It was a quick forecast. I wasn't aware of the 84 max until someone informed me about 15 mins ago. No idea how I missed that :lol:

84/73/12/.03

It was a rushed educated guess, but I'm satisfied with my score for the time being. 

I would've went with 70 for the low had I checked the time stamps before submitting my forecast. The temp dropped six degrees in the past two observations. I'm sure the cooling will slow down by next observation.

The 0z METAR didn't appear to have a six-hour high and low, but the climate report lists a high today of 86!

Yeah it didn't, but I saw the climo. Can already tell I'm going to love this city. Spurious rainfall with no obs reporting rain, 2 degree intra-hour bumps, and wind gusts doubling the max sustained winds.

Archived