Newest Member
    Toothache
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

87/69/15/0

No 86?

I went 86/68/15/0. Temps were me debating between 85-87 and 67-69 and eventually picking a number. 

Winds are a little tricky. TPA doesn't see east winds extremely often and when they do they're either in the 10-15kt range or 20-25kt from what it looks like. Raw wind on the GFS seems rather high, but I'm sure we'll see winds up to 15kt at some point, right? 

86/71/17/0

I wanted to find a reason to put precipitation in but without any trigger mechanism I couldn't do so. Took a gamble on the winds in hopes I can gain some spots. BUFKIT looked like it had 20 kts at around 925 mb during the afternoon so I figured they have a shot at getting over 15 kts at the surface. I wasn't sure about the low as it did look like they could see some clouds from west or south but if not I will probably be at least three degrees too high.

No 86?

I went 86/68/15/0. Temps were me debating between 85-87 and 67-69 and eventually picking a number. 

Winds are a little tricky. TPA doesn't see east winds extremely often and when they do they're either in the 10-15kt range or 20-25kt from what it looks like. Raw wind on the GFS seems rather high, but I'm sure we'll see winds up to 15kt at some point, right? 

I assume the 86's were a function of the light northerly synoptic winds, which allowed the sea breeze to stop them. The stronger easterlies tomorrow (and today) should allow them to go beyond 86. I almost considered 88.

Damn. With an hourly wind of 14kts and with much higher gusts, I expected the climo to have something higher than 14kts, but nope. 14 was all we could manage. So, I've still never had a perfect forecast day. :(

This place really struggles to get the expected intra-hour wind "bumps" you'd expect

87/73/14/0.60"

Precip sort of looked all or nothing-ish. If a sea breeze can spark of storms, they could get a lot of rain. The NAM does have a decent amount of uncapped CAPE. On the other hand, if the sea breeze doesn't spark storms, as some hi-res models showed, they could get next to nothing

Archived