• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

53/46/19/0.16"

Fairly cautious again with this forecast. From the models, precipitation "appears" to be trending down tomorrow, but radar and observations from today lead me to be skeptical. Already 0.58" has fallen today. For the temperatures, with cloud-cover and cold advection, I do not expect a spike like we saw over the past few days. The wild card may be temperatures dropping off tomorrow night, but with clouds likely lingering and wind off of Lake Pontchartrain, I leaned close to the model consensus. (Precipitation is another wild card if considerable shower activity lingers much past 06z WED)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

53/45/19/0.18

Was going to go with 54 but thought it would react similar to how we do up here with cold coming in the next day being moderated at first. I'm iffy about the rain since as many have mentioned precipitation amounts have diminished as the models thought the front would move slower. Still kept in showers for tomorrow especially early. Today worked out pretty well except precipitation amounts

53/45/20/0.27

I had 10 minutes to do this forecast, but I thought about the precipitation for most of it. I could see 0.1-0.3 happening, but I wasn't so confident after yesterday's washout so I went toward the high side of my range. Glad to know the consensus went higher.

I don't know how the station could mess up for one ob randomly and then start working again. I was surprised at the wind but thought it was legit. We'll see what WxChallenge does with it

We'll see, I guess. I'm still bitter at MGM station from last year, lol.

59/41/15/0

not much to discuss went a little higher thinking better heating tomorrow but cool night as the high tries to move in.

58/42/15 0.00" Similar.

Debated lower tonight, but models seem to be initializing/running too mild to start, plus we have BKN-OVC conditions overnight. Could have gone higher tomorrow, but most guidance actually has mid-50s. (Seems to play into the bias though, of being about 2-3F too cool)

The whole forecast seems straight-forward, with no glaring reasons to sway too far in one direction or another.

59/42/16/0.00"

Hoping clouds will be my friends tomorrow... QPF for D2 is going to be a bit painful unless a decent shower or two can make it inland, which might be possible. Went 0.29" hoping for something after 06z, but not with much luck.

58/42/15 0.00" Similar.

Debated lower tonight, but models seem to be initializing/running too mild to start, plus we have BKN-OVC conditions overnight. Could have gone higher tomorrow, but most guidance actually has mid-50s. (Seems to play into the bias though, of being about 2-3F too cool)

The whole forecast seems straight-forward, with no glaring reasons to sway too far in one direction or another.

Same except for the wind:

58/42/16

The new and final climo still has 22MPH as the max sustained wind with a missing max gust. So we'll see what WxChallenge does. I know ASOS stations screw up sometimes but again I don't see how the site can decide to give invalid wind obs for a small period of time but work fine on either side of it for the rest of the day. I also can't think of a meteorological explanation for the wind but unless there's a reason to mistrust the equipment I don't see why it should be thrown out. The METAR following the 22kt gusting to 42kt one had a peak gust of 28 knots in the following hour, which is higher than pretty much the rest of the day, which supports the notion that it was for some reason windier around the 1653 ob. But who knows.

The new and final climo still has 22MPH as the max sustained wind with a missing max gust. So we'll see what WxChallenge does. I know ASOS stations screw up sometimes but again I don't see how the site can decide to give invalid wind obs for a small period of time but work fine on either side of it for the rest of the day. I also can't think of a meteorological explanation for the wind but unless there's a reason to mistrust the equipment I don't see why it should be thrown out. The METAR following the 22kt gusting to 42kt one had a peak gust of 28 knots in the following hour, which is higher than pretty much the rest of the day, which supports the notion that it was for some reason windier around the 1653 ob. But who knows.

I dunno, it really does look spurious to me. But in any case, I think WxChallenge will go with the 19kts, siding with the NWS, unless someone is able to convince the NWS to change it. And they might have their reasons for putting the 22mph in.

I do wish it was higher, though, as I'm at 20kts, myself :P

I dunno, it really does look spurious to me. But in any case, I think WxChallenge will go with the 19kts, siding with the NWS, unless someone is able to convince the NWS to change it. And they might have their reasons for putting the 22mph in.

I do wish it was higher, though, as I'm at 20kts, myself :P

The 1653z METAR today had a peak gust of 66kt, so I'm starting to think that ob yesterday may have been spurious as well :lol:

67/44/11/0.00

The USL looks too mild for the low, especially with the temperature quickly tumbling as of 00z and CLR/FEW conditions overnight. Could definitely make a case for warmer than forecast temperatures tomorrow, but I held fairly conservative.

Archived