joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went with an apprehensive 28/11/19/0

Think clouds tomorrow will be thin enough for enough sun to make it through, but the low levels are several degrees colder than today. Models have a terrible low bias here on the high so I didn't feel too bad going that extreme, but we'll see. Low was tough...some high clouds tonight and winds may have trouble decoupling, so I went a little warmer than MOS and the HRRR. Northerly winds tend to do well here so I went a little higher than guidance for winds. Wasn't sure how strong they'd get since the pressure gradient isn't the strongest and because the CAA will be much weaker than today.

29/12/18/0. I had no idea how to feel about it. The Euro and it's ensembles did quite well today especially compared to the American models and their MOS outputs (MAV was 11F off!). I could see them staying in the upper teens both tonight and tomorrow night, but I felt like a 12-13F was a safer play. 

Temperatures tonight aren't slam dunk either. LAMP has a low of 7 and that guidance was running 1F too mild at 00z. It's basically MOS vs. all other guidance. The winds would have to slacken off for a colder low to happen and based on the hourly obs for the past two hours, that's plausible. 

Temperatures tonight aren't slam dunk either. LAMP has a low of 7 and that guidance was running 1F too mild at 00z. It's basically MOS vs. all other guidance. The winds would have to slacken off for a colder low to happen and based on the hourly obs for the past two hours, that's plausible. 

That's exactly why I went conservative and go cold on the low and less wind. I didn't want to stick my neck out on the first day.

28/14/19/0.00

Wanted to go higher on both the high and low.  Models have been far too low on the high temperatures, and it seems they have had problems with the placement of the quasistationary boundary across the Dakotas.  It's possible lower winds tomorrow will limit mixing enough to keep the temperature lower than I think it could reach, but I do think higher winds overnight will limit temperature fall tonight.  It already stayed at 26 the last hour.  I think a low in the upper teens is certainly possible, as is a high of 30, but didn't want to do that day 1 - turns out I wouldn't have been alone! :)  I guess we'll see what happens!

Went 24/11/21/0.

Wasn't confident at all. Originally wanted to go warmer, but didn't want to take much risk day 1... Wishing I had now. Glad the low sort of worked out, because the wind definitely doesn't look like it will. Oh well, plenty of days to make it up!

25/12/19

Thermal profiles look similar to today (high of 34 degrees), but cloud-cover may keep temperatures down a bit. Went somewhat above guidance, but not as high as one could perhaps argue.

Meteorology > modelology, too bad I leaned closer to guidance. 

Not very high confidence...

26/15/15/0.10

Will high temperatures spike again? The odd thing is that the Euro is much cooler, despite the Euro handling this city well recently. Cloud-cover and precipitation will be HUGE, as temperatures could go way above guidance again (perhaps even higher than today) if sunshine breaks through the clouds. I think precipitation totals are trending down a bit, especially given upstream dew-points running lower than all model guidance.

I'm almost positive this will be my drop city. Horrible first day not any greater second good luck to you all on this one.

Just haven't had time to do forecasts this week

No clear trend either. Guidance busted horribly low max temperatures for the past week, with today being a major exception. Watch temperatures tank tonight before 6z (as many trends suggest) and I'll be dropping down too...

Archived