Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because of the low precip, I'm going to need at least 56F to get a trophy today.

Yup, last night I thought I was out of it, but a high of 54-55 (provided the low stands as is, or doesn't go below 35 I think) should bump me up to #2. Gonna be cutting it really close in any case.

Yup, last night I thought I was out of it, but a high of 54-55 (provided the low stands as is, or doesn't go below 35 I think) should bump me up to #2. Gonna be cutting it really close in any case.

Pretty sure you got it. The high is supposed to occur over the next 1-2 hours, and I would still need 4 more degrees. I'm thinking 54F will probably be the high.

Pretty sure you got it. The high is supposed to occur over the next 1-2 hours, and I would still need 4 more degrees. I'm thinking 54F will probably be the high.

We'll see. Up to 52 in ABR now. MBG to the west is up to 56, and PIR to the southwest is up to 63, so I could still definitely see it hitting 55+. Still a chance of hitting a 06z low later, so I'll stay cautiously pessimistic.

Two years ago in Redding, CA I was pretty much a lock for #2 cat 3, as long as the high went 76+. It hit 75 early on in the day so it looked like a sure bet, and I was getting excited... And then it just sat at 75 for 4-5 hours, with no intra-hour bump to 76... Ended up getting beat by half a point. I'm still salty about that one.

WxChallenge's website still messed up, so I have no idea what's happening. Think I'm a lock for trophy but...

It seems to be working on my end although it's missing the #5 person from yesterday's final results, which is sitll an issue today. I think a 56+ and 30+ on winds would actually knock you to 3rd place in Cat 3. Hoping you do well!

Hmm... Reevaluating my hypothetical, and it actually looks like I either need an exact high of 55, or a high of 54 with the winds to verify at 30+ kts. Something tells me the next ob comes in at 56. Hoping I'm wrong, but on the bright side if it does, at least then I know I'm out of the running.

Still, congrats to everyone who has done well this city. El Paso is going to be boring to forecast for after this.

Edit: Looks like another 54!

We'll see. Up to 52 in ABR now. MBG to the west is up to 56, and PIR to the southwest is up to 63, so I could still definitely see it hitting 55+. Still a chance of hitting a 06z low later, so I'll stay cautiously pessimistic.

Two years ago in Redding, CA I was pretty much a lock for #2 cat 3, as long as the high went 76+. It hit 75 early on in the day so it looked like a sure bet, and I was getting excited... And then it just sat at 75 for 4-5 hours, with no intra-hour bump to 76... Ended up getting beat by half a point. I'm still salty about that one.

A preemptive congratulations, looking like 55°F is probably gonna be the number.

It seems to be working on my end although it's missing the #5 person from yesterday's final results, which is sitll an issue today. I think a 56+ and 30+ on winds would actually knock you to 3rd place in Cat 3. Hoping you do well!

55, actually :( I went too conservative on winds and temperature...

but it's not the end of world. I still got good city score.

Onto Texas.

Thanks for the congrats! 

I started this city thinking it'd be a disaster, but I actually increased in rank every day. I'm still holding my breath though until I see how the temperature drops. If current climo is at 55/36/30/0.01, I just need the temp to stay 35+! If somehow it hits 34 before 06z, I'll get beaten out by 0.1 points  :axe: .

The temperature has tanked 13F in the last two hours to 39F, lol. Assuming that's correct. I noticed Td wasn't registering at 01z.

This has become a roller-coaster of emotions... Surrounding stations pretty much all appear to be warmer too. I can't think it can drop much more, or at least nearly as quick given what should still be 10kt or so winds with (per rap analysis) 54F 925mb temps.

Maybe my wind forecast wasn't very bullish after all; pretty close to the consensus.

The high temperature forecast tomorrow is tricky, I was tempted to go higher as the two above forecasts have. There's a sharp thermal gradient, but the data I reviewed suggested a downward trend in temperatures over the last few model runs.

61/42/22/0.00

Not really enough there for me to go way outside of guidance. Wind was a bit tricky, especially when the USL was on the low side of things for a change. Found a climo wind rose that could be helpful as well. Looks like while north winds are common, it's the west winds that can get beefy.

eRfPAJN.png

Archived