Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another low confidence forecast:

25/11/12/0.05

It looks like they're on the cool side of the boundary again with a similar setup to today, just somewhat less precipitation (also later arrival). I could make a case for highs anywhere in the 20s given the trends and verification over the past few days. (Could easily be like today where temperatures struggle to get above 20, however, if precipitation lags, the boundary layer thermal profile would support mid to upper 20s)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

23/7/10/0.08. 

Thought process was that there will be enough of a window to cool rapidly (hopefully after 6z) but they won't manage low single digits. There will be a decent amount of clouds during the late morning/early afternoon and I'm not convinced that they'll be able to break the inversion tomorrow with weak winds, but temperatures will still be a couple degrees warmer regardless. Was "aggressive" with precip too.

26/10/11/0.03"

Figured the high would be a bit higher than it was today, but a good bit lower than Tuesday. For the low, hoping the clouds preclude the low from dropping too far (if at all) into the single digits, but the light wind worries me a some. Wind-wise, think the high pushing in from the north starts tightening the pressure gradient right around the end of the forecast period, but how much and how soon is a big question. Precip was a tossup, but I tend to go lower QPF especially when it's supposed to be a lighter snow. 

Whole forecast is a bit of a tossup really. First couple of days have been pretty rough. Hard to get much of a handle on this city. But, that's the fun of it. More entertaining than forecasting clear and high pressure every day and playing the " +/- 1/2 guidance" game.

12/-5/19/0

I went with a lower high then some models showed wanted to go lower but with clouds sticking around until later on i didnt think a drop would occur until later.

Most showed a nice drop around 9-12pm EST so just before 6z.

Figured why not give it a try.

Climo so far for today: 24/13/9/0.05

15/-3/16/0

Can totally buy the afternoon high even if I miss it at 6z. NWS and USL are doing great so I decided to go with blend of these two models (first time I'm trusting a model more this whole week).

Dropping 350 places after today.

Yikes. Happened to me last semester (DRO, I think...)

Assuming nothing sneaky happens tonight, I'll have moved up at least 169 points today, but still just 361st overall for the city. Tomorrow could be a nail in the coffin for Aberdeen if temperatures bust. Goal is to finish in the top 100 for each city, but it's still very much an uphill climb. At least I am one of 43 contestants to have a precip error score of 0.0.

12/-5/19/0

I went with a lower high then some models showed wanted to go lower but with clouds sticking around until later on i didnt think a drop would occur until later.

Most showed a nice drop around 9-12pm EST so just before 6z.

Figured why not give it a try.

Climo so far for today: 24/13/9/0.05

Along the lines of you. 11/-4/16 I'm banking on the temperature dropping before 6z. Low dipped below 13 for the past couple of days. I don't see why it won't happen again with light northeast winds, fresh snow, and some brief clearing.

Along the lines of you. 11/-4/16 I'm banking on the temperature dropping before 6z. Low dipped below 13 for the past couple of days. I don't see why it won't happen again with light northeast winds, fresh snow, and some brief clearing.

Yea nice drop this past hour now only 19 so maybe this is a clue for tonight? I hope we get down to like 10 or even 11 before the day is over would honestly just help more for today and almost seal tomorrow

16/-3/16/0.00"

Figured the high is possible with a gentle decrease tonight, or maybe a bit of luck tomorrow afternoon. But doubt it with the CAA. Low I think is solid if the clouds don't build in ahead of time, and the winds die down before 06z. Either way, looking like a strong possibility this'll be my drop city. My goal is just getting a negative normalized error every city, which I was accomplishing until now  :(

I was 16/3/16/0.00. Fell about 50 or so spots today depending on the wind which has a shot at being 10 kts I think. I'm concerned with how poorly the short range models have been doing with tanking temps overnight. The euro and its ensembles have been doing a relatively good job with handling overnight mins and I just kinda wanted to risk it a bit. 

Archived