joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2015-16

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

65/44/12

In the absence of OHWeather reasoning I'll do my best to provide some. Looked like 850 mb temps. were about 6C today when they reached 70F. It looks like they will bet at around 3.5C tomorrow so if we assume the same mixing height, that would yield 18.5C at the surface or 65F. It is probably a little risky to assume similar mixing as the NAM showed a bit of an inversion but I just felt that is probably overplayed as we are still early in meteorological autumn and they'll have full sun. Definitely most worried about the low with clouds coming in from the west but hoping CAA can compensate and allow the low to be under guidance (save 18z NAM).

65/44/12

In the absence of OHWeather reasoning I'll do my best to provide some. Looked like 850 mb temps. were about 6C today when they reached 70F. It looks like they will bet at around 3.5C tomorrow so if we assume the same mixing height, that would yield 18.5C at the surface or 65F. It is probably a little risky to assume similar mixing as the NAM showed a bit of an inversion but I just felt that is probably overplayed as we are still early in meteorological autumn and they'll have full sun. Definitely most worried about the low with clouds coming in from the west but hoping CAA can compensate and allow the low to be under guidance (save 18z NAM).

:lol:

I work Wednesday evenings. My forecast was pretty quickly done, but similar logic on the high. Applied Euro/USL biases for high also and got around 65. As for the low, not a perfect radiational cooling night. I know ISP is actually in an OK spot to radiate compared to other portions of Long Island/NYC, but until I get burned for going too warm on a low I'm going to keep doing it on nights that aren't perfect for radiating...tonight looks a bit too windy for it. We'll see.

:lol:

I work Wednesday evenings. My forecast was pretty quickly done, but similar logic on the high. Applied Euro/USL biases for high also and got around 65. As for the low, not a perfect radiational cooling night. I know ISP is actually in an OK spot to radiate compared to other portions of Long Island/NYC, but until I get burned for going too warm on a low I'm going to keep doing it on nights that aren't perfect for radiating...tonight looks a bit too windy for it. We'll see.

You're doing all the burning so far. A balmy 57F with the overcast overhead last hour!

I'm going for broke!

66/51/22/0.03"

Going for increased clouds and SW winds trying to stay up tonight keeping temps in the lower 50's. As for the wind and precip, models hint at a modest amount of CAPE building immediately ahead of the front early Friday AM with 30 knot winds just off the surface, with what appears to be just enough moisture for some convective showers to develop. The idea is that a shower hits ISP and drops a little precip and helps mix down winds right along the front. Slightly risky forecast.

67/48/15/0

67/47/15/0 :)

This is about as risky as I wanted to get with this city at this point. For low temps I saw two potential chances to drop down into the 40s from both tonight and tomorrow night. Temps are already around 55F based on the 0z observation and winds don't look to pick up for a while tonight. Chances of going to calm winds is unlikely but it looked like a few hour window before the thicker cloud deck moves in later tonight. Tomorrow night also has a chance to drop rather quickly, but that didn't pan out earlier in the week. GFS/NAM both show mixing will be likely be ~60mb deeper with fairly similar temperatures, so I tacked on a few degrees from today's max. 12z GFS MOS has gone 3/3 on max temps so far and I've been on the wrong side of that each day.

Winds will be tricky... some convection may fire early in the morning and could tap into the stronger low level winds but I went against that in a more conservative forecast.

67/47/15/0 :)

This is about as risky as I wanted to get with this city at this point. For low temps I saw two potential chances to drop down into the 40s from both tonight and tomorrow night. Temps are already around 55F based on the 0z observation and winds don't look to pick up for a while tonight. Chances of going to calm winds is unlikely but it looked like a few hour window before the thicker cloud deck moves in later tonight. Tomorrow night also has a chance to drop rather quickly, but that didn't pan out earlier in the week. GFS/NAM both show mixing will be likely be ~60mb deeper with fairly similar temperatures, so I tacked on a few degrees from today's max. 12z GFS MOS has gone 3/3 on max temps so far and I've been on the wrong side of that each day.

Winds will be tricky... some convection may fire early in the morning and could tap into the stronger low level winds but I went against that in a more conservative forecast.

My numbers as well. MOS is doing well so far, so why not stick with it?

Archived