• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter

Steve

Cohen going with a cold winter forecast for the eastern OV. Throw some moisture in the mix and we are in business.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/11/24/innovating-forecaster-highlights-potential-for-very-snowy-winter-in-mid-atlantic-d-c/

I heard his forecast last winter was a train wreck. 

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cohan is a media sensation. He has to make this forecast or he is a liar.

The media doesn't care about credibility. They sensationalize stuff whenever they can, whether it's to get page views or to support a political agenda. The media isn't gonna attack him for being wrong, if he is again... if there's another year after this that features well above average Siberian snowfall, he'll be back in the media again.

so it had nothing to do with acorn production after all?

he's not a met?

I heard it had something to do with predicting whether this groundhog sees its shadow

And yeah he has a doctorate

I heard his forecast last winter was a train wreck. 

I believe it was with regards to the state of the AO. The story indicates he has a 75% percent accuracy rate with his winter forecasts. Obviously his forecast would be a best case scenario for our area but seems to against the general thinking.

I believe it was with regards to the state of the AO. The story indicates he has a 75% percent accuracy rate with his winter forecasts. Obviously his forecast would be a best case scenario for our area but seems to against the general thinking.

I guess we'll see.  Just like sex sells in advertisement, cold and snow sells in forecasting.   

My totally non-scientific guess for this winter:   For CMH area, +2 all 3 months averaged together and around 20" of snow.  Below normal snowfall but I think it could come in 1 or 2 memorable storms vs. a bunch of nickle and dimes.    I'll also throw in a legit icestorm this winter as well.    Lots of periods of zzzzzzzz as well.

Looks like it's gonna be quiet around here for a while. Enjoy the few flakes we get tonight.

yep.  About the best thing I could find scanning thru long term is the models agreeing on a sharper/deeper trough in the middle of the country towards day 10.  It's too far west for us to enjoy anything but strong, warm flow out of the south....but....maybe beyond that it will transfer east and stay long enough for something....but that looks very doubtful.

I'm not a big believer in punting an entire month, but if I were, this would be about as good as a month to punt as you can get.

yep.  About the best thing I could find scanning thru long term is the models agreeing on a sharper/deeper trough in the middle of the country towards day 10.  It's too far west for us to enjoy anything but strong, warm flow out of the south....but....maybe beyond that it will transfer east and stay long enough for something....but that looks very doubtful.

I'm not a big believer in punting an entire month, but if I were, this would be about as good as a month to punt as you can get.

I typically wouldnt either, but I think this might be a good one to punt!  The outlier to the pattern can always occur...But the odds don't look good.

Few annoying mini-troughs this week to provide us with imperfect weather it seems....These may actually help boost our positive temperature anomaly for the week as overnight clouds will keep things warm on some nights and we'll easily be above normal each afternoon since the requirement for that is >45~ degrees down here in Cincy.

Obviously the big-daddy potential is there around the 12th-14th which is to be expected just looking at the ensembles. You have a massive west trough and east ridge with wide southwest flow across the nation's mid-section. It could always cut off slightly or not quite phase right and miss max potential, but still should be a decent system at the minimum. Heavy rain maker here, but any high wind or severe potential will depend on details that obviously can't be determined at this range.

It does appear that one of our brief cold episodes will arrive behind that system. The strength and duration will be dependent on how that system evolves, but I'd expect some below normal temps around the 15-18th. But the western trough is going to re-load thanks to the +EPO and ripping Pacific jet, so we'll snap back to the status quo right after that. Not looking good for Christmas snow, but that is far enough out that some tiny hope can be held on to icon_smile.gif

I hope everyone enjoyed their freezing fog this morning. Have to think we'll be socked in here again later tonight in a river valley.

I drove to Columbus yesterday morning and that was some of the thickest fog I've ever seen at times going up there.  And I work at LUK lol

When I came back last night between 9p-11p, it was already very dense again between Wilmington and northern Cincinnati.

well I'm going to pour some water to half fill.    I was browsing last winter's version of this thread and was reminded of how miserable December last year was.    We were ready to throw in the towel last winter at this time and even by xmas.   

That turned, and we ended up above normal snowfall.  Granted we also had the unusual November snows last fall to help unlike this year....

...but there's my optimistic post for the month...lol.

well I'm going to pour some water to half fill. I was browsing last winter's version of this thread and was reminded of how miserable December last year was. We were ready to throw in the towel last winter at this time and even by xmas.

That turned, and we ended up above normal snowfall. Granted we also had the unusual November snows last fall to help unlike this year....

...but there's my optimistic post for the month...lol.

As long as we get a decent few week stretch later in winter I'll be happy, even if we don't quite make it up to average seasonal snow. Although granted here average isn't even 20" so a decent few weeks could get us that.

Lima is on pace for 8-9 straight days of 50+ weather. Gotta be close to a modern record in December. Even 2007 didn't have that and I doubt the departures are as high this month as that one.

My Wunderground forecast for back home has 3 days in a row of mid-60's highs. 

Friday: 61 high/57 low (estimated departure of +24.5)

Saturday: 66 high/55 low (estimated departure of +26)

Sunday: 67 high/54 low  (estimated departure of +26)

That'll help spike the monthly departure a bit :blink:

Archived