joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Let's Talk Winter

Steve

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a little concerned if he thinks the polar vortex is a "new thing." I do think we'll have some oppertunities starting at some point in January though. Some Gulf Low potential in about two weeks but it'll be a race against a milder pattern trying to take back over.

It will be interesting to see his winter 2015/16 prediction. 10 or so years ago he was pretty accurate about broad pattern changes. I haven't routinely watched him in years though.

I'm a little concerned if he thinks the polar vortex is a "new thing." I do think we'll have some oppertunities starting at some point in January though. Some Gulf Low potential in about two weeks but it'll be a race against a milder pattern trying to take back over.

yea that's an odd statement by JG.  A couple of things.  First, I assume he is referring to the AO....positive leaning is the way to go on that.   Second, I'm not seeing any indications of a step down or turn to colder, (other than the shot coming through end of this week and weekend).  After that, it's looking pretty el nino-ish

Well who invited you to the party u Debbie Downer! Lol. I agree w/ u though.

I know right.  I'm just keeping expectations as low as possible.  I know folks are saying it's not the same animal, but I can't shake '97-'98 out of my head.   That in conjunction with us coming off of 2 back to back above normal snow winters has my winter weenie in E.D. mode.

I know right.  I'm just keeping expectations as low as possible.  I know folks are saying it's not the same animal, but I can't shake '97-'98 out of my head.   That in conjunction with us coming off of 2 back to back above normal snow winters has my winter weenie in E.D. mode.

How bad was 1997/98 in regards to snowfall for CMH? I don't remember it at all, but of course I was young and not following the weather! Plus, I was living in northern OH at the time.

I know right. I'm just keeping expectations as low as possible. I know folks are saying it's not the same animal, but I can't shake '97-'98 out of my head. That in conjunction with us coming off of 2 back to back above normal snow winters has my winter weenie in E.D. mode.

I don't think it will b quite like '97-'98 as I think globally the water dynamics r quite different. However, I would almost bet that we do not have the brutal temps like the last 2 winters. That nay b a good thing & what I'm hanging my hat on 4 a better shot at a good snowstorm or 2. I expect a winter full of pretty xtreme temp swings as well.

How bad was 1997/98 in regards to snowfall for CMH? I don't remember it at all, but of course I was young and not following the weather! Plus, I was living in northern OH at the time.

I'd b curious as well. I was living in Philly area that year & I can tell u that their was literally no snow at all & basically winter was just autumn extended.

Looking at the NCDC data, looks like CMH got 2.9 inches December 1997, 1.2 inches January 1998, and 2.2 inches in February. Actually got 2.5 inches in March too. Biggest 1 day total was a whopping 1.5 inches December 30th. Not exactly a snow lovers dream.

Looking at the NCDC data, looks like CMH got 2.9 inches December 1997, 1.2 inches January 1998, and 2.2 inches in February. Actually got 2.5 inches in March too. Biggest 1 day total was a whopping 1.5 inches December 30th. Not exactly a snow lovers dream.

Wow... that's really pathetic... And I thought '11-'12 was a bad winter.

Must have had a narrow miss because Cincinnati got a 12" snowstorm in Feb that winter!

Must have had a narrow miss because Cincinnati got a 12" snowstorm in Feb that winter!

Yes, the biggest only winterstorm of the season came around the first week in February.  I missed it because the day it was to get underway my family was on route to Disney World.    From what I understand, Cincy and Ky got crushed....meanwhile CMH got a lot of slop, freezing rain and sleet.   It was an upside down storm in that places north got rain and places south got into heavy snow.  Big cutoff style classic el nino storm.

11-12 wasn't good by any means, but I think the great winters that surrounded it made it seem worse at the time.

Snow wise it was terrible but I have never seen as much sun in the winter as that one provided. Definitely wasn't all bad although not being able to play hockey or snowmobile really at all stunk.

2011 also can never be hated in a weather sense because of what April-May brought

Holy crap! No wonder the specter of 97/98 still haunts central OH snow weenies.

Let's hope winter 2015/16 isn't as bad!

Guest ovweather

Yes, the biggest only winterstorm of the season came around the first week in February. I missed it because the day it was to get underway my family was on route to Disney World. From what I understand, Cincy and Ky got crushed....meanwhile CMH got a lot of slop, freezing rain and sleet. It was an upside down storm in that places north got rain and places south got into heavy snow. Big cutoff style classic el nino storm.

That is still Louisville's greatest snowstorm on record: 22.4 inches over 3 days. Forecasts were absolutely horrible for that event leading up to the day it started. One of the strangest storms I have been through. Temperatures stayed right around 32 the entire event. And bands of snow would set up over a particular area and drop a foot of snow overnight.

For no other reason than putting it on record...

I can visually confirm the first flakes of snow for the season, this morning.

Here in Newark we had a good burst of snow..ground was white and cars were covered!! I made a mini snowman..lol

There were a few flurries off and on this afternoon in Athens. Nice to see for the first time! Locations south of town may have gotten a couple of "better" snow showers. I expect we'll get at least one juicy snowstorm in the Ohio Valley in January or February so I guess I'll take these flurries, be happy and remain "patient."

There were a few flurries off and on this afternoon in Athens. Nice to see for the first time! Locations south of town may have gotten a couple of "better" snow showers. I expect we'll get at least one juicy snowstorm in the Ohio Valley in January or February so I guess I'll take these flurries, be happy and remain "patient."

Living in Ohio,we have no choice but to be patient!! Been patiently waiting for 55 yrs..lol

Archived