joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that.. But I'm temporarily giving up on/throwing out anything apocalyptic--like the GFS-- east of I-135 for now

Fair enough. Given the teases the I-135 corridor has had so far this winter...its the course of least regret. I'm with JoMo, let's see if the eastward trend sticks and if the Euro catches up to it. We should start to see the energy get better sampled in the next 24-36 hours. 

Fair enough. Given the teases the I-135 corridor has had so far this winter...its the course of least regret. I'm with JoMo, let's see if the eastward trend sticks and if the Euro catches up to it. We should start to see the energy get better sampled in the next 24-36 hours.

I agree with this. Can't take the further south and east scenario off the table yet. Storm is still way up by AK. Long way to go.

12z GFS isn't giving up (yet)

]

Let me preface this by stating this is purely the weenie in me talking rather than the scientist, but, since the models typically under-estimate the strength of the cold push, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the southeast trend to continue a bit more?

Let me preface this by stating this is purely the weenie in me talking rather than the scientist, but, since the models typically under-estimate the strength of the cold push, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect the southeast trend to continue a bit more?

This really all depends on the track and strength of the upper level system and the SE ridge. A weaker upper level system would dig less and provide less resistance to the ridge, so it would probably track more NW.

And a key thing to recognize here, is that while the models are printing some big numbers for SW MO, NE OK...that could be more sleet or freezing rain. 

12z Euro is faster and did shift to the east a bit, but still too warm for here.

Stays about 36 at Joplin with rain.

Upper 30's in NW AR with rain.

KC area flirts with freezing at times so it may get messy.

TX PH, West TX, Western OK, Central KS, into far NW MO would be the snow area this run.

12z Euro is faster and did shift to the east a bit, but still too warm for here.

Stays about 36 at Joplin with rain.

Upper 30's in NW AR with rain.

KC area flirts with freezing at times so it may get messy.

TX PH, West TX, Western OK, Central KS, into far NW MO would be the snow area this run.

Agreed. Looks like the ECMWF the big snows literally about 20 miles west of Oklahoma City this run. The model itself has 850 MB temps over OKC/OUN at 2C with surface temps at 34-35. It did the same thing back with the Thanksgiving storm and we all know how that turned out (ice storm). Potential for a major winter storm/blizzard for OKC is increasing IMO. While still out there the 12Z NAM did get into Saturday evening and has the freezing line over West Texas about 4 counties south of where the GFS has it at the same time. I'm curious to see if we'll see any long lead-time Blizzard/Winter Storm Watches issued this afternoon/evening considering most stores will be closed on Friday. 

Yeah, with this latest info, may be staying in Abilene with my wife's family instead of going to Kansas after Christmas to see mine. I think the party's off on Sunday anyway now. It's looking like a done deal that travel will be very difficult at least. Nice to see a strong winter storm finally, but for pete's sake, why does it have to come at holiday time just like the Thanksgiving ice event?

Yeah, with this latest info, may be staying in Abilene with my wife's family instead of going to Kansas after Christmas to see mine. I think the party's off on Sunday anyway now. It's looking like a done deal that travel will be very difficult at least. Nice to see a strong winter storm finally, but for pete's sake, why does it have to come at holiday time just like the Thanksgiving ice event?

If current trends continue I would agree Abilene is probably going to get to have winter weather fun based on the current projections. Easily the most significant winter storm Texas has dealt with since the late February 2013 blizzard. Don't you just love El Nino? :)

Lol. Yeah, I love snow, so I am excited with the trend since it means assuming no changes I will see a white post-Christmas without having to go to KS to see it. No way am I going to travel in this after trying two years ago and nearly having to stop at a hotel north of Wichita. It's just not worth it to be out in a blizzard. Rather stay put and enjoy where I am.

If current trends continue I would agree Abilene is probably going to get to have winter weather fun based on the current projections. Easily the most significant winter storm Texas has dealt with since the late February 2013 blizzard. Don't you just love El Nino? :)

David....what are some of the major differences you are seeing in the modeling? Is it the strength of the arctic high pressure or the strength of the storm or a combination of both? 

You know what I think, it seems like most of our rain makers so far since summer have been huge flooding storms. It's like we havent even gotten many smaller storms it seems like all of them have been monsters, maybe just maybe it will be cold enough eventually and one of these big storms will produce a hefty ammount of snow/ice. I am more worried about ice this season though, it seems eerily similiar to other ice storm winters I have been through. Yea I dont follow models like you guys do, I go on my instincts and what I have seen over my life in winters....how they panned out and how each is similiar. Or maybe I am just getting too damn old haha.

I like what Whiteout is saying here and I could actually see something like this happening due to the sagging jet, January averages, etc. This has been the year of the big precip producing storms so far this fall/early winter in the southern plains region. I went back to October and gathered dates and amounts of our biggest storm systems. We have seen hefty rain makers in the 2-5" range on average of every couple of weeks or so. Late October, mid and late November, mid December, and now another one forecasted late December. 5 major systems over that span. Pretty impressive. If you follow the Heady pattern at all and buy into his cycle theory (which has been working out pretty well lately), we should see these repeat every 45-47 days or so. That puts us into good storm potential early, mid, and late January, and then again early to mid February. Not all of these would be winter storms of course, but all it takes is the right proximity of cold air for one of these to tap into and there you go. So I still believe as we get further into our favored times of winter that we stand the chance to jackpot one of these events.

You know, I wouldn't mind the winter storm naming so much if it was "Winter Storm A," "Winter Storm B," ... "Winter Storm Z," then "Winter Storm AA" if we ran out of letters. It would not be very creative but at least we wouldn't have had "Winter Storm Janus."

Not sure what would be worse... these names they currently are using or using the names of fruit/vegetables/legumes ...

Keep in mind that as the upper low moves out of the Rio Grande and NE through TX, it will be taking on more of a negative tilt, and warm air will surge in aloft and at the ground to the east and NE of it. So that would limit how far east the heavy snow could get ahead of the upper low (behind it, the air would still be cold enough due to the low heights). Also, the low will eventually stack, probably over NE TX or OK, lessening the dynamics the storm has to work with, reducing the potential for heavy prolonged snow once that happened. That's why the heaviest snow potential is likely over the NM mountains, into west TX and likely western OK and maybe part of Kansas near Wichita to Kansas City, in a thinning band as one heads NE. 

Archived