joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWS Tulsa update says 00z WRF has H5 position even further north and west of the Euro which is the furthest NW.

I'm on my phone and can't post the full write up. Only 3-4 sentences.

DISCUSSION...

Forecast on target with a silent weather night.

Minimal tweaks. Of note:new 00Z WRF 12z Monday

position of H5 low west and north of 12z ECMWF

position... which was farthest north of major

numerical models. It all hinges on the track.

Merry Christmas. 

I'd go with the farther west Euro solution at this point. It's been pretty good. In addition to this storm, there's probably going to be a chance of some flurries or freezing drizzle for someone on Wed maybe.

The Euro strat maps show more PV disturbance in the 10 day timeframe in relation to the warming event that may nudge it to the east. Jan 1958 saw something similar. 

The Euro EPS has totally caved to the GEFS long range. Assuming it stays that way, looks like an incoming -AO, -EPO, split flow pattern with another expected -SOI spike to throw things into confusion.

As the GFS caves to the King. Lots of snow out west though should mean more cold air will be available. 

acc10_1snowc.png

Now we just need a storm before mid-Jan. I do think there will be another big one in mid-Jan and probably late Jan. No idea where it will track or be though.

As the GFS caves to the King. Lots of snow out west though should mean more cold air will be available.

Now we just need a storm before mid-Jan. I do think there will be another big one in mid-Jan and probably late Jan. No idea where it will track or be though.

Man, even the "new" GFS solution gets that heavier snow right to my door step. If it could just trend east a few miles. Still hoping for a (two-day after) Xmas miracle.

acc10_1snowc.png

Yes sir...big disappointment.  

I always kind of expected this to wind up farther west, although it's a bit farther east than I expected. So I'm not totally disappointed. 

Plus I'm pretty excited by the long range for like the first time this year. Much better looking from mid-Jan on, and maybe sooner if the models are trying to catch up. The MJO looks like it's going to make it to at least 7 (NCEP), the Euro says 8. 

ECMF_phase_MANOM_51m_full.gif

7 and 8 are good for our area. (we don't want 1 in this area so hopefully it slows down or dies out)

Phase 7 January actually features the higher heights at the pole.

JanENMJOphase7gt1500mb.gif

The EPS and GEFS look pretty similar. The Euro actually has more of a troughing signal across the SW to eastern TX. The both have the Aleutian low backed off from the GOA, and the -EPO look.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_61.png

Phase 8 is a cold phase here.

JanENMJOphase8gt12mT.gif

Said this days ago... The Euro always wins. I realized this with Hurricane Joaquin when all the "hurricane" models and GFS and CMC/GEM had the track into the Carolinas, but the Euro had the track going to Bermuda and it was the only model that had that, and it ended up being right. As well as numerous other occasions, but that one sticks the most.

Said this days ago... The Euro always wins. I realized this with Hurricane Joaquin when all the "hurricane" models and GFS and CMC/GEM had the track into the Carolinas, but the Euro had the track going to Bermuda and it was the only model that had that, and it ended up being right. As well as numerous other occasions, but that one sticks the most.

Yeah, once you get inside 5 days, the Euro skill is usually much greater than the other models. The 30 day running average of 5 day skill actually has the Canadian better than the GFS with the Euro having a huge lead. The new parallel (upgrade) Euro is actually a bit better than the Euro operational even.

One thing to watch here is the depth of the cold air. If it is deeper than currently modeled, there will be a major ice storm for southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri. As its modeled now, the Flint Hills (along the Kansas Turnpike) of southeast Kansas into northern Oklahoma stands the chance of a crippling ice storm. 

One thing to watch here is the depth of the cold air. If it is deeper than currently modeled, there will be a major ice storm for southeast Kansas and southwest Missouri. As its modeled now, the Flint Hills (along the Kansas Turnpike) of southeast Kansas into northern Oklahoma stands the chance of a crippling ice storm. 

Indeed, not sure how useful/accurate this is but this is a forecast ice accumulation map from the 18Z NAM. accfrzrc.png

Does anybody know who makes these snowfall forecast maps--as well as where to access them if possible? Like the one DDC put out on their Weather Story?

I am assuming that this comes directly from the NDFD forecast snow amounts. As of recently, this has been available for free on Weatherbell.com-- quite helpful if you don't want to check the point&click forecast snow amount for lots of points in the country

4YoeWnV.png

Archived