• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

Looks like another warm up coming to me by the weekend, close to 50 again lol. Too far out on models to trust anything at this point and the way things have been, just one big storm! Just one is all we need, last season was crap at just average. You guys buy into the 150 to 300 percent above normal snowfall mets and long range forecasters were thinking lol?

I don't think 150-300 percent is off the table yet. In this pattern we are transitioning to, you and I can end up with 100 percent of avg with just 1 storm if everything goes right. My hopes are still pretty high. I'm pressing the panic button January 20th though. Lol.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think 150-300 percent is off the table yet. In this pattern we are transitioning to, you and I can end up with 100 percent of avg with just 1 storm if everything goes right. My hopes are still pretty high. I'm pressing the panic button January 20th though. Lol.

Yea once we hit that second week of feb. stuff doesn't stick around long at all. I have seen some fairly monster march storms but those kind never stick around for more than a few days at best and is always slop snow lol. I actually like the fluffy powdery snow, because its easier to shovel and adds up faster. I just want one big giant snowstorm that snows fairly heavy for a nice amount of time and is cold out. Some thunder with it would be cool too, wishful thinking probly lol.

Yea once we hit that second week of feb. stuff doesn't stick around long at all. I have seen some fairly monster march storms but those kind never stick around for more than a few days at best and is always slop snow lol. I actually like the fluffy powdery snow, because its easier to shovel and adds up faster. I just want one big giant snowstorm that snows fairly heavy for a nice amount of time and is cold out. Some thunder with it would be cool too, wishful thinking probly lol.

Yeah. You pretty much think the same way I do. Lol. Given the analog options I have seen though, I think if we get pretty cold, we'll stay pretty cold until it's over. When the Arctic is totally rearranged as fast as its going to be, you're displacing a whole lot of air in a hurry that doesn't get to modify that much. Just my opinion. Whether it verifies or not is a whole other thing also. Fear I have is that we get the storm track suppressed to Texas and we just get useless cold.

Me, too. Don Sutherland mentioned some of the things that can go wrong in January in his post today in the medium term discussion thread. CFS January looks warm. He mentions 1983 too much for my liking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

That was one of the things that had me worried. Only notable thing about January 1984 or the winter around here was that huge cold air outbreak that he mentioned. I guess the only cool thing about that outbreak is that it is part of the reason I was born in mid-October that year. Haha.

From a post is the SE forum it sounds like the 12z Euro looked good for many of us from Northern Arkansas to Maine.

Hopefully JoMo can shed more light.

Happy New Year!!! Let's get 2016 off to a great white start.

The 00z Euro control did. The 12z Euro was farther north across Iowa. 12z Euro ensembles have a wide wide variety of solutions for snowfall ranging from south of us, to over us, to north of us. -SOI spike and pattern shakeup will lead to the models changing a bit.

Euro Weeklies:

Going out to Jan 31st. Troughing with the system moving across the south around the 10th-15th of Jan, Might be a temporary break, and then more troughing as the west gets more active again and there looks like ridging in the eastern US again. Looks to be pretty active, probably getting less active as we return to a more Decemberlike pattern in late Jan. Although this might end up not being as far west, so we may still be able to get in on something. +PNA that goes to neutral. -AO that goes to a +AO pretty quickly. +EPO will come back as well.

So we'll see what happens from basically Jan 10th through the 28th or so. 

Temps go below normal during the busiest time before gradually warming up as everything shifts to the west again.

CanSIPS updated. Still looks good for Feb/March. It has the expected El Nino pattern of the southern stream, Aleutian low position, etc...

Nice snow on the 00z GFS.

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_41.png

Pretty nice one there. That's a pretty sweet 1049 H following that thing also. Brrrrr. I hope everyone has a Happy New Year and we get a January and February full of snow.

12z GFS went south, with a lack of cold air. 12z GEM went farther north.  Big run to run changes but still signs of a storm between the 10th and 15th probably. 

Based on the Euro Weeklies and the new Euro parallel run, there might be a brief break or warmup in the pattern around the end of Jan into early Feb but it looks to resume the active El Nino look across the southern US.

Cohen's model gives this for J-M

tfcstJFM16_model_degC_NH.png

MoWeatherguy... The 12z had snow at 180. Around 0z Sunday. Drops ~6 area wide. The most would fall in central Oklahoma into se ks.

The 0z was warmer but had snow in southern ks, north of i44 in Mo and in central Oklahoma. It drops 3-6+ in this area. Starting at 168-174. Around 0z next Sunday as well. Cold air does filter in slowly and snow comes further south as the storm progresses, where it drops up to 3.

You can find the maps on tropical tidbits.

Archived