joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2015-16 Discussion

OKwx2K4

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JoMo, what hour does the GEM have the snow?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It was on yesterday's 12z run. The models are going to change a lot due to the -SOI burst, and the confusing split flow, cutoff, and energy flying about.

06z GFS had a nice long duration snow event but I doubt it will be there on the 12z. 

Jomo, ive heard the trop vortex has split, but strat part hasnt. Cold dont seem to be locking in. What we need to take place for us to have sustained cold instead of transient shots? Something seems to be missing unfortunately

Cold doesn't usually lock in during strong El Nino years due to the nature of the forcing leading to the strong Aleutian low and limited amounts of time with a -EPO to deliver cold air. A -AO of course would help lead to more amplification of the northern jet and would deliver colder air farther south but in general the colder air across the southern US during El Nino's is due to an active STJ, with more clouds/rain/snow depending on storm strength and track. 

The models are doing a terrible job right now, every met is saying that and has been saying that. Even when models are doing well, we don't trust them on day 15.

I know that. Just giving a rundown of what they are showing right now. If one isn't showing 3+ inches of snow in the next 48 hours, I'm not counting on it snowing. Lol

I know that. Just giving a rundown of what they are showing right now. If one isn't showing 3+ inches of snow in the next 48 hours, I'm not counting on it snowing. Lol

Yes really..I've got much more sleep this year...in part because I'm not having to go crazy model watching!. Lol

I think you scared the GFS. Although it's probably just screwing with you.

acc10_1snowc.png

This is the same wave (only a day earlier) that the GFS had back on 12/31 showing snow for this region.  So it's back north again and not as weak running along the gulf coast.  This is also what Cosgrove mentioned as the forerunner system to deliver cold air after its departure next weekend.  From Cosgrove newsletter 1/2/16:

Here is what I see happening. The first storm in the series moves from Texas into the Carolinas and then exist near Nantucket MA during a January 10-13 time frame. That feature, working in concert with a vast cA anticyclone, brings the coldest air all the way to the Gulf of Mexico and east of the Continental Divide. A second impulse takes shape in Mexico soon after (January 16-20 perhaps), and moves along the rim of the cold air.

Archived