joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing that is somewhat missing over E/C MN is good shear. So unless storms can stay discrete a bit longer after initiation, it would appear that wind and hail are the biggest threats here. But I wouldn't be surprised to see a few tornadoes spin up in W MN. One interesting note is that some of the models now have the storms firing father west towards the Dakota borders, as opposed to C MN in previous runs. Looks like they'll have longer to become more linear as they move into eastern portions of MPX. Either way, this will be quite interesting later today.

given the clouds we have here in the north end of St Paul due to the outflow from the storms that went through Hinckley and Grantsburg earlier on, we probably now have the extra boundary we need at the surface to give us the right shear now.

Looks like an outflow boundary from earlier convection north of the TC is drifting SSW. If that thing gets hung up it could add to more fuel to the fire later. CAPE values skyrocketing to the west.

Its also helping to mix out these stubborn low clouds.

Amazing looking supercell near Decatur IL, which is astoundingly unwarned.

Was at a party 2 miles N of Decatur and watched this beast roll in. Thought I saw a broad rotating wall cloud, but much of my view was obscured by terrain and darkness. Lost power 4 times, and had prolific lighting. Still large areas of flooding in Decatur this morning.

given the clouds we have here in the north end of St Paul due to the outflow from the storms that went through Hinckley and Grantsburg earlier on, we probably now have the extra boundary we need at the surface to give us the right shear now.

Pretty clear on satellite too. I'd expect the best threat for tornadoes to be from near the ND/SD/MN border into central MN. It doesn't hurt that much of the inflow environment has dew-points of 77-78F.

post-533-0-49469600-1436726128_thumb.jpg

I heard from someone whos uncle works for the NWS (I've confirmed his uncle is an employee, he aint bluffing) that the SPC is considering a day one High Risk for Wind across Illinois and Exteme Nortwest Indiana.

That would make sense given the parameters and an expected hurricane force derecho.  And it saddens me to think of all the tree damage given the saturated soils and wind potential with this system.

That would make sense given the parameters and an expected hurricane force derecho.  And it saddens me to think of all the tree damage given the saturated soils and wind potential with this system.

Epic tree damage scenario should the widespread damaging winds pan out.  Rarely have we been in a wet stretch like this, and probably hasn't been timed with such a potent severe weather setup too much.

NAM is doing pretty well with dewpoints out west right now. Really makes you wonder about its output for tomorrow lol.

I think dews will have no problem reaching 80F across much of Illinois tomorrow. Guidance has been doing well and moisture return has been solid even well up into Minnesota. Forecasts had low to mid-70s, but plenty of areas near the NAM progs of upper 70s.

I think dews will have no problem reaching 80F across much of Illinois tomorrow. Guidance has been doing well and moisture return has been solid even well up into Minnesota. Forecasts had low to mid-70s, but plenty of areas near the NAM progs of upper 70s.

This would be something to see.  Just don't get such coverage of 80+ much

post-14-0-69820100-1436730257_thumb.png

post-14-0-13832700-1436730267_thumb.png

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

255 PM EDT SUN JUL 12 2015  

.TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON  

.DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0345 AM TORNADO 2 SW TRAFALGAR 39.39N 86.18W  

07/12/2015 JOHNSON IN NWS STORM SURVEY  

WIDESPREAD TREE DAMAGE FROM SAMARIA ALONG STATE ROUTE  

135 TO PRINCES LAKES. TEN HOMES SUSTAINED DAMAGE FROM  

TREES FALLING ON THEM. PRELIMINARY ANALYSIS SUGGEST WIND  

SPEEDS CONSISTENT WITH A HIGH END EF-0 TORNADO.  

They'll verify. They always do this time of year and it's always funny to watch some offices not buy into them.

IWX is buying in

EFFICIENT   EVAPOTRANSPIRATION FROM THE WELL DEVELOPED AGRICULTURAL CROPS IN   ADDITION TO THE MOIST SOILS FROM THE RECENT WET PATTERN WILL CAUSE   DEWPOINTS TO RISE INTO THE UPPER 70S TO LOW 80S DURING THE AFTERNOON   MONDAY. 

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  255 PM EDT SUN JUL 12 2015     .TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     .DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                ..REMARKS..    0345 AM     TORNADO          2 SW TRAFALGAR          39.39N  86.18W  07/12/2015                   JOHNSON            IN   NWS STORM SURVEY                WIDESPREAD TREE DAMAGE FROM SAMARIA ALONG STATE ROUTE               135 TO PRINCES LAKES. TEN HOMES SUSTAINED DAMAGE FROM               TREES FALLING ON THEM. PRELIMINARY ANALYSIS SUGGEST WIND               SPEEDS CONSISTENT WITH A HIGH END EF-0 TORNADO.   

Somewhat of a surprise.  Most concern in the area was overnight heavy rain.  2 inches here...heavier west and south.

Archived