joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer 2015 pattern discussion

GaWx

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have enjoyed my 0.98 inch of rainfall I've picked up so far today.  About to get another quarter inch in this next batch on my doorstep.  Can't wait until I pick up even more rain tomorrow and pretty much every day this week.

It's amazing how big of a swing this has been weatherwise:  I went from 3+ weeks without a drop to almost daily rainfall for the past week and for the foreseeable future.  GSP has been all over this new pattern.  The paid professionals have done a fantastic job getting this one right.  I see no reason to doubt their expertise going forward seeing as how their track record has been pretty stellar lately.  They got the dry right and now they've gotten the wet right.  Kudos, isohume (and your colleagues)!

Kudos to the Mets.......

I have enjoyed my 0.98 inch of rainfall I've picked up so far today.  About to get another quarter inch in this next batch on my doorstep.  Can't wait until I pick up even more rain tomorrow and pretty much every day this week.

It's amazing how big of a swing this has been weatherwise:  I went from 3+ weeks without a drop to almost daily rainfall for the past week and for the foreseeable future.  GSP has been all over this new pattern.  The paid professionals have done a fantastic job getting this one right.  I see no reason to doubt their expertise going forward seeing as how their track record has been pretty stellar lately.  They got the dry right and now they've gotten the wet right.  Kudos, isohume (and your colleagues)!

That low is going to be too far east after tonight though. There will be small chances tomorrow and the zero after that until Sunday. The upper low needs to go south instead of east to keep the wet pattern some folks are seeing going.

That low is going to be too far east after tonight though. There will be small chances tomorrow and the zero after that until Sunday. The upper low needs to go south instead of east to keep the wet pattern some folks are seeing going.

Local mets showing daily chances as well.

Still pouring outside with lots of thuinder and lightning.

can barely see the trees behind us its coming down so hard.

Allow me to once again defer to the paid mets and their analysis.  Here's what they had to say this afternoon about the upper low:

TONIGHT...THE UPPER LOW IS FCST TO STALL OVER THE SOUTHERN

APPALACHIANS...KEEPING OUR AREA UNDER WEAK BUT PERSISTENT Q-VECTOR

CONVERGENCE. MEANWHILE...A 1025 MB SFC HIGH WILL SETTLE ACRS NEW

ENGLAND...NOSING A WEDGE-LIKE ISOBAR CONFIGURATION BY DAYBREAK

WEDNESDAY. GUIDANCE ALSO SHOWS A WEAK WAVE DEVELOPING ALONG THE

WEDGE FRONT OVER THE CWFA...ENHANCING AN EASTERLY LLVL WIND ACRS THE

NC PIEDMONT. THESE FEATURES WILL LIKELY KEEP AT LEAST A CHC OF

LINGERING SHWRS OVERNIGHT...WITH AN ISOLD EMBEDDED TSTM OR TWO

POSSIBLE. THE OVERALL FORCING DOESN/T LOOK TOO THREATENING FOR HEAVY

RAIN...BUT AN ISOLD THREAT WILL LINGER OVERNIGHT. THERE WILL ALSO BE

SOME PATCHY FOG OUT THERE GIVEN THE WET GROUND. TEMPS WILL BE HELD A

COUPLE CATEGORIES ABOVE NORMAL UNDER THE CLOUD COVER AND MOIST AIR

MASS.

WEDNESDAY...GUIDANCE IN DECENT AGREEMENT THAT THE LOW WILL ONLY INCH

SLIGHTLY EAST THRU THE DAY...KEEPING OUR AREA UNDER THE PVA SIDE OF

THE SYSTEM. MEANWHILE...WIDESPREAD LOW STRATUS IS EXPECTED TO

DEVELOP ACRS MOST OF THE CWFA ATOP THE WEAK WEDGE. THIS CLOUD COVER

SHUD SCATTER OUT ACCORDING TO THE GUIDANCE...AS IT DOESN/T LOOK LIKE

TRUE COLD AIR DAMMING. HOWEVER WEAK EASTERLY UPSLOPE FLOW WILL

PERSIST LONGEST ACRS THE I-40 CORRIDOR...SO THEY MAY STAY CLOUDY AND

MORE STABLE. THE REST OF THE AREA IS PROGGED TO BECOME WEAK TO

MODERATELY UNSTABLE WITH ANOTHER ROUND OF SHOT-GUN CONVECTION. THERE

IS LESS SHEAR AND INSTBY IN THE FCST SOUNDINGS THAN TUESDAY/S...SO

EXPECT A SMALLER SEVERE THREAT. STORMS MAY BE

SLOW-MOVING...HOWEVER...SO A HEAVY RAIN AND ISOLD FLOODING THREAT

WILL CONTINUE. TEMPS WILL BE HELD BELOW NORMAL UNDER THE

CLOUDS...WITH ABOUT A 10 DEG GRADIENT FROM NORTH TO SOUTH.

&&

.SHORT TERM /WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

AS OF 240 PM TUE...GUIDANCE NOW SHOWING THE CLOSED UPPER LOW ONLY

SLOWLY FILLING AS IT MOVES ACROSS THE AREA THU. AT THE SFC...HIGH

PRESSURE BUILDS IN FROM THE NORTH ON A CAD LIKE CONFIGURATION. EVEN

THO COOLER MID LEVEL TEMPS WILL BE MOVING ACROSS THE AREA WITH THE

UPPER LOW...INSTABILITY WILL BE WEAKER THAN THE PREVIOUS FEW DAYS AS

TEMPS AND DEW POINTS WILL BE LOWER. STILL...FORCING WILL BE ENOUGH

TO HELP CONVECTION DEVELOP AND INCREASE TO NUMEROUS COVERAGE. SHEAR

AND DCAPE WILL BE LOWER AS WELL...BUT PW VALUES WILL INCREASE.

THEREFORE...EXPECT SVR STORM CHC TO BE LOWER...BUT CHC OF HEAVY RAIN

WILL BE HIGHER. THE UPPER LOW MOVES EAST OF THE AREA FRI LEAVING A

WEAK NWLY FLOW IN PLACE. AT THE SFC...THE RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE

BEGINS TO WEAKEN BUT REMAINS IN PLACE. EXPECT A RETURN TO A MORE

NORMAL DIURNAL CONVECTIVE MODE WITH HIGHEST POP FAVORING THE MTNS.

INSTABILITY AND SHEAR WILL AGAIN BE RELATIVELY WEAK...BUT DCAPE

VALUES WILL BE HIGHER. SVR CHC AND HEAVY RAIN CHC WILL PROBABLY EVEN

OUT FOR THE AFTERNOON. A LITTLE BELOW NORMAL TEMPS THU WILL RISE TO

AROUND NORMAL FOR FRI.

&&

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY/...

AS OF 2 PM TUESDAY...THE MEDIUM RANGE FCST PICKS UP AT 00Z ON

SATURDAY WITH THE REMNANTS OF THE LONG LIVED UPPER LOW FINALLY

OPENING BACK UP TO THE MEAN FLOW AS IT LIFTS OFF THE NC COAST. AT

THE SAME TIME...AN UPPER SHORTWAVE ROUNDS THE EASTERN PERIPHERY OF

THE UPPER RIDGE TO OUR WEST. AS WE MOVE INTO LATE SUN AND THEN

MON...THE LONG RANGE MODELS AMPLIFY THE NORTHERN STREAM AND DIG

ANOTHER UPPER TROF DOWN OVER THE GREAT LAKES. AS IS TYPICAL IN THE

WARM SEASON...THE TROF WONT MAKE IT FAR ENOUGH SOUTHWARD TO HAVE

MUCH DIRECT INFLUENCE ON OUR FCST AREA...BUT IT WILL HELP SUPPRESS

TEMPS THRU THE END OF THE MEDIUM RANGE.

AT THE SFC...A FAIRLY STRONG CANADIAN HIGH WILL BE SLIDING ACROSS

THE GREAT LAKES ON SAT AS DEEP LYR MOISTURE LINGERS OVER THE FCST

AREA. AS WE MOVE INTO SUN AND THE HIGH SLIDES FARTHER EAST...A BRIEF

WEDGE PATTERN TRIES TO DEVELOP OVER THE CAROLINAS. THE MODEL

GUIDANCE INDICATES THAT THIS WILL LIKELY BE SHORT LIVED AS THE HIGH

GETS PUSHED WELL OFFSHORE AND A LOW DEVELOPS NEAR THE GREAT LAKES BY

EARLY MON. THE COLD FRONT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS LOW IS PROJECTED TO

MOVE ACROSS THE CWFA BY LATE MON WITH SOME DEGREE OF DRYING AND

DOWNSLOPE FLOW IN ITS WAKE. AS FOR THE SENSIBLE FCST...I KEPT A

SOLID CHANCE FOR SHOWERS AND TS EACH DAY WITH TEMPS TRENDING BACK UP

ABOVE CLIMO ON DAYS 6 AND 7.

Sounds to me like the upper low is going to be hanging around for a while.

And i heard it was drifting SSE pretty slowly too.

Just run the WV loop it shows you exactly where the ULL is and how it is moving...it really is bringing the goods, strong southerly fetch with loads of moisture.....plenty of rain to be had as long as its hanging around....doesn't look to be moving much at all over the last 9 hrs

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Just run the WV loop it shows you exactly where the ULL is and how it is moving...it really is bringing the goods, strong southerly fetch with loads of moisture.....plenty of rain to be had as long as its hanging around....doesn't look to be moving much at all over the last 9 hrs

That sucker really threw on the brakes in E Tennessee.

If thats where it sets up shop, its gonna be a wee bit wet east of the mountains.

It needs to be about 50-100 miles to the west though. The best moisture is east of here.

It's great for Raleigh of course, but not so good for us in the west. If it went south by 100-200 miles, both of us would be in a good spot.

I think you'll have a decent chance of rain over the next couple of weeks...as long as we can keep ridging out of the area.

Well it's dry in the upstate of SC just like I said it would be. Still looking at 1993 here for the analog.

Seriously man you have got to quit pushing your agenda. Maybe it hasn't rained in your backyard but most everyone else (minus a few areas around GSP) has seen good rain from this. I am sorry you live in a desert, but please stop acting like you are always right because everyone here knows your track record. You aren't fooling anyone...

f612a2ac182f14b13dbaf0885a500a67.jpg

No way to say this any other way,  GSP has busted today in upstate SC bigtime. There is not 1 storm anywhere in the the northwest 3rd of the state, and no sign of any to come. Yet they still have 50-70% pops going.

I don't think you understand the definition of "chance". 

No way to say this any other way,  GSP has busted today in upstate SC bigtime. There is not 1 storm anywhere in the the northwest 3rd of the state, and no sign of any to come. Yet they still have 50-70% pops going.

I was watching the radar earlier today and storms popped 5 miles N of Jonesville, SC.  Do you not have eyes?  They didn't hit your back yard though, so I guess it is still 1993 allllllll ovvvvverrr againnnnnn.   Once again QFT

I don't know what county you live in, but the radar looks pretty darn good out that way to me. Let me guess.... GSP missed it again.

They have it right west of Greenville, down towards Greenwood, but I can not see why they still have 50% pops anywhere near Hickory or Statesville or even Charlotte tonight. It's obvious those areas stay dry. The cool and dry air over these areas means it will not be raining up there. I'd even be surprised to see any of that big shield of rain and storms make it past I-26 in NC or SC. There MAY be 1 more chance for rain tomorrow for a few spots, but downsloping means most will stay dry. Then the rain chances go to 0 where i am for a couple of days and dont get much better right through day 7. It will take a tropical storm or hurricane for my location to get more than .25 of rain in any 24 hour period this summer that's for sure.

I don't know what county you live in, but the radar looks pretty darn good out that way to me. Let me guess.... GSP missed it again.

Yeah lol at folks calling a day a bust mid afternoon, radar looks great if that cluster holds up most of the upstate gonna get a little something and some will get a lot....it wouldn't matter though cause there is no way at all jshetley can get more than .25" without a tropical system.....

Places around Anderson SC got 2-3" in just the last hr......and that little cell near Greenwood is getting all hooky....rotation on vel scan too

Archived