• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
el Nino Watch

Rainman

Should add that the CanSIPS also has the piggyback Nina already becoming very strong by August. Still a +PDO though, although in a much weakened state with the characteristic warm tongue of a -PDO developing east of Japan. There would undoubtedly be some very interesting developments with such a robust flip like this.

cansips_ssta_noice_global_8.png

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the last Niño to Niña cycle, 2010-2011, has any predictive value, the next 2 severe seasons could be quite robust across the country. Considering the +PDO, however, wonder if the real fireworks will hold off til spring 2017, rather than a big late spring 2016 similar to May - June 2010. I think the Niño collapse at least gives some optimism for later this spring.

Two years since 1950 have flipped from a strong Nino right into a strong Nina...72-73 and 87-88.  Though in 87-88, that Nino peaked much earlier than this one.  In case anyone is wondering about 97-98, that flipped from strong Nino to moderate Nina by late summer/early Fall of 1998.

If the last Niño to Niña cycle, 2010-2011, has any predictive value, the next 2 severe seasons could be quite robust across the country. Considering the +PDO, however, wonder if the real fireworks will hold off til spring 2017, rather than a big late spring 2016 similar to May - June 2010. I think the Niño collapse at least gives some optimism for later this spring.

Yeah I'm definitely eyeballing 2017 for a hell of a severe season. 2016, on the other hand, should at least continue the trend over the past 2 years of becoming more active.

The warm pool effectively exhausts itself as an increase in evaporation and a reduction in ocean surface heat uptake occurs, blasting this excess net heat to the atmosphere. Once the pool is exhausted, the trades resume as cold water upwells to take its place, usually strongly so.

That CANSIPS Nina is probably overdone with the moderate-strong +PDO being shown there. It's pretty typical to see a Nina after such a strong Nino, but there's little guarantee on strength. The 82-83 Super Nino only resulted in a weak follow-on Nina with a neutral to weakly positive PDO.

However, as a counter to my point, there were a pair of studies last year that show modeled increases in both extreme Ninos and Ninas (the latter of which was helped by the extreme Nino amplitude).

The warm pool effectively exhausts itself as an increase in evaporation and a reduction in ocean surface heat uptake occurs, blasting this excess net heat to the atmosphere. Once the pool is exhausted, the trades resume as cold water upwells to take its place, usually strongly so.

That CANSIPS Nina is probably overdone with the moderate-strong +PDO being shown there. It's pretty typical to see a Nina after such a strong Nino, but there's little guarantee on strength. The 82-83 Super Nino only resulted in a weak follow-on Nina with a neutral to weakly positive PDO.

However, as a counter to my point, there were a pair of studies last year that show modeled increases in both extreme Ninos and Ninas (the latter of which was helped by the extreme Nino amplitude).

Regarding the bolded:

post-13588-0-16901700-1449025856_thumb.p

1877-78 and 1888-89 were also very strong Ninos and both of them were coming out of a weaker +ENSO event the year before, like this one. The former wasn't immediately followed by a Nina, but 1879-80 was a Nina. The latter was followed by a moderate Nina in 1889-90. Notably 1880 and 1890 both had some very deadly severe events (4/18/1880 and 3/27/1890 in particular). Along with all four of the Ninas listed above, this raises the "something nasty may be on the horizon" thought.

Getting this data here: https://twitter.com/webberweather/status/663021244237918208

That's fine, but her data doesn't really support the conclusion. "7th strongest" and "8th strongest" were moderate Ninas (keep in mind the fairly small sample size). A Nina is a good bet -- the strength isn't -- if you're going off analogs.

Absolutely. I meant to post that image in support of your statement that there doesn't seem to be a correlation in intensity. I should've said more than I did.

We are officially in the strongest Nino since records began in 1950. If we flip to strong Niña, look out for a wicked severe season next spring.

To all you hoping for another cold snowy winter, look out west, they are getting clobbered. This is a whole different animal from 2013-2014, 2014-2015.

We are officially in the strongest Nino since records began in 1950. If we flip to strong Niña, look out for a wicked severe season next spring.

To all you hoping for another cold snowy winter, look out west, they are getting clobbered. This is a whole different animal from 2013-2014, 2014-2015.

We just need a little cold air and a little blocking to help eject systems out of the southwest and keep them from tracking too far north. If we get that, we could end up with a gradient pattern.

Hey, at least it doesn't look cold and suppressed.

It's been an interesting start to the winter. Can't wait to see what happens later on.

You just beat me.  Here's a post from Don S about what various December values would mean for the ONI number for OND.

Assuming no revisions to the October-November monthly anomalies (ERSSTv4), one would need the following figures to achieve various OND tri-monthly figures:

2.1°C: 1.91°C

2.2°C: 2.21°C

2.26°C: 2.39°C (would tie the 1997-98 tri-monthly peak)

2.27°C: 2.42°C (would break the 1997-98 record tri-monthly peak)

2.3°: 2.51°C

It appears increasingly likely that the 2015-16 El Niño event will challenge or perhaps even break the 1997-98 tri-monthly peak with a tri-monthly peak coming out somewhere beween 2.2°C and 2.3°C. Monday's weekly data should provide some good insight into the current state of the ongoing El Niño.

You just beat me. Here's a post from Don S about what various December values would mean for the ONI number for OND.

Yup, Don s is the man. I'm not sure what to think going forward, their is some strat warming occurring as well. To be honest, and I've said this several times, we have come off two very active historic winters, similar to the mid 70s, so a 79-80 repeat is definetely a reliable analog.

What index did we just beat then? Nino 3.4 value? If El Nino is so strong, then why was the November SOI value only -5.3 ? (Australian BOM web site) Did the atmosphere just simply not catch up to the raging Nino in the ocean? thoughts?

What index did we just beat then? Nino 3.4 value? If El Nino is so strong, then why was the November SOI value only -5.3 ? (Australian BOM web site) Did the atmosphere just simply not catch up to the raging Nino in the ocean? thoughts?

The atmosphere has caught up...

The current pattern we're in is pretty typical of a strong/super Nino December.

Archived