• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Unusual circumstances in progged teleconnections "might" also portent a relatively rare late season snow potential...

Typhoon Tip

This is a great opportunity for generalized/conceptual teleconnector explanation and application toward tentative deterministic Meteorology.   Timing:  April 22nd through ~ May 3rd, with some critical focus in the 28th of the month.

(pulled from Model thread post and redacted) 

There is an unusually strong convergence of colder signals for the Lake/OV/SE Canada, and NE regions for 7 to 14 days, beginning after these blue bird blue weekend days sensibly decay into that frontal exchange in about 4 or so days...

Post that, strong -EPO (unseasonal in strength) appears readying to dump an obnoxiously late cold load into Canada. We see this in the bevy of operational, and in large measure ...their ensemble backing, as 850 mb recession in temperatures.  It won't be as extreme as those seen in February during our micro ice age... But -10 C may permeate over the vaster aspect of the Canadian Shield, East of the Can Rockies cordillera as we head into D5 ..6/7.  This air oozes south over the border, with an active NAO blocking event (like we have not seen over the recent winter, at that...) helping to ensure it gets S of the border... 

post-904-0-74289900-1429284340_thumb.jpg

That all sets the stage for a plausible spring snow in my mind, endemic to this particularly season's method for getting the job done (should it work out...)

It is still equally plausible to suffer the cold departure period without recouping snow... However, There are a couple of statistical points of interest.  First, there probably is out there, somewhere, a calculated number of average "significant" snow events in the different climate zones of SNE, during April, then subsequently during May; such that an average/probability, year-to-year, of sustaining such an event can be assessed. I am not aware of any such study ...  But May 1977, April 87, and 1996, could 'perhaps' suggest a 10-year rate or recurrence. However, it is important to note .. we are definitely in a climate upheaval era at a world order. This is not a deflection or insinuation related to GW; that's a different discussion that I don't want to involve with here.  Sufficed it is to say ... during said era, we, here in SNE, are not immune to increased stochastic weather events, if not outright absurd occurrences just like everywhere else.  That all said, if there were ever a candidate leading signal for that, this is certainly interesting. 

We'll just have to see how the chips fall -

This is from NCEP;  I would like to add, that prior to ~ May 1st of any given year (until 2050, when GW moves that date to April 1st or 15... heh), abutting these temperature and QP anomaly chance this spatially close to one another,

post-904-0-05651600-1429285244_thumb.jpg

assuming their approach in deriving these percentages is veracious, would also in a general sense suggest our region is not out of the winter woods just yet.  And ... at less than a scientific perspective on matters, just the overall tenor of the last 2 months (these last 5 days notwithstanding), I don't put it outside the chances that nature wants to line up all the spring/warm weather enthusiasts for a deliberate face smacking session...if not an all out rape gang atrocity.  It just "feels" like anger over this past week of sensible vacation..  (j/k of course..) will be paid for before a profounder green-up.

If this particular outlook tool(s) were as such during the ides of the colder months, DJF, the following is less problematic; the sun is annihilating the lower troposphere, S to N in ever increasing ability to do so, per diem.  The sun comes out in the 35th to 40th parallel (for example) on a clear day, and atomic bombs worth of raw power is being bombarded by transfered radiation by day, and the land takes that up, and tranfers it to the atmosphere by micro conduction --> to convection/mixing at larger scales.  That processes the atmosphere, and "mutes" cold signals... This factor plays havoc with model performance at this time of year, and to some degree any teleconnectors derived purely off of atmospheric EOFs.  If a great deal of the atmosphere's synoptic construct is guided by thermal source and sink/gradients and re-storing forces working in time, if the thermal action is being modulated at the same time ...obviously that's going to be an issue. Just keep this in mind... 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds interesting, though both Dryslot and I guessed back in late Feb that when the teleconnecters lined up for our part of NNE, it would probably be late enough to produce a run of circa-40F rain events.

And that's the path of least regret ..setting up the expectation that way (bold), while keeping in mind that a cold solution for lower elevations is out there as a potential only. 

It's just that over the years ... these odd balls come along and they're fascinating;  I'd just like to catch one of these bastards in the act rather than have it sneak up on Media as a fluke.  It does seem that the nature of the absurd anomaly tends to come along with a degree of blindness before hand. 

Actually...technically, December 1992 was of that ilk ...really.  I remember two days before that event, I was in History of American Lit, 102 (Elective) at UML, and this gal that sat normally adjacent to me, that I knew was a Meteorology major, was telling me in ominous refrain how they (as in the others up in the Weather Lab) weren't so certain that more snow would be involved with that sucker.  The forecast at the time for the Merrimack Valley area as in fact 40 F wind swept rain (or very close to that...) 

We all know how THAT worked out...   Actually though, the "fluke" part of it ...that blind aspect that tends to take a run-of-the-mill scenario and transforms it clearly into something highly unusual, came by way of drastically underestimating the power of dynamical cooling.  The storm just got to an intensity level, and it was figuratively like crossing some dynamical threshold and the atmophere couldn't stop the levi break -- so to speak.  The cold plumbed the critical thickness depths amid a huge UVM/thunderstorm spike, and man... I once wrote a long passage that others on the board told me once was novel worthy... I unfortunately, never saved the write, and it was lost at some point over at Eastern during upgrades well prior to the defunct of the site..   

Anyway, that's how it played out for northeastern Mass.  I know west along Rt 2 in the elevations of N. Worcester and perhaps the airport too, all went to snow sooner. I'm not sure what the actual 'casts were for those interior locations... But, I know that where the University of Mass/@ Lowell is, that mid evening flash flip from wind driven sheeting rain to wind whipped plaster of Paris snow was not very well handled.  at 8 pm, it was 40 mph gust in 38 F jungle drops going nearly sideways. I'm pretty sure there were probably cat's paws already in those big drops like that...  By 9:30, 5" accumulations spilled denizens of Bourgeois, Fox and ...can't recall that other dormitory next door, but they spilled out into the white froth for one of the most epic, spontaneous snow ball fights I have ever been part of. I mean, there were generals and legions in this sucker, replete with battle tactics and special ops incursions..; I think the cops might have even showed up and just parked the plasterized vehicles at angles, threw their hands and just cordoned off the war arena.   

Before all that erupted I was in the lobby of Fox Tower, and this guy comes in ...he was kind of histrionic in his demeanor. Once his persona sort of captured the attention of those immediately in observance of his arrival on the scene, he just goes, "Man, I just came from the Tingsburough Bridge, 10 miles from here, and it's a total blizzard."   At that moment in time, it was still just 38 F, big drops whipping by.  But something that sticks out in my memory as one of my fondest Meteorological moments in life would take place just ten or so minutes later. 

I took the elevator to the 8th floor to go ahead and maybe take in a couple of hours of Super Mario Bros before crashing, thinking that if the storm would evolve into snow, based on the evidences at hand it would do so per the course.. But, as the door parted and exposed the dark interior of my dorm, the room suddenly lit up in a fantastic bright blue-ish tinted pulse of light; immediately I surmised that it came from the window at the opposite end of the room.  "Was that -" no sooner could I get the question answered and the building subtly vibrated by the percussive blast of one helluva thunder clap.  It terminated away in fading oscillations as big rumbles do...and I rushed to the window, leaving the light off deliberately so I could lube up my geek should another blast occur. But something instead took place that was truly remarkable, if perhaps ...seemingly heralded forth by the lightning and thunder; across the vastness of the air above the well lit parking lot below, came a creamy curtain -- it was as though the sky had convexly recurved down to the ground beyond the distant edge of the visage; and the distant lights on the hillside that normally twinkled from some five miles away were gone entirely. Yet the air immediately over the parking lot below was still just sheeting rain by the lamp lights. Then, just quite literally in a matter of a few seconds, that recurved surface of white-ish, creamy over took the parking lot, and the street lamps were mere orbs of dimming. All this happening at just about the same amount of time it took to process just what in the hell was happening.  The event seems to proceed the realization as though the realization were the cause of the effect - difficult description, but when events in nature challenge convention, strange things occur..

To this day...I have never seen anything like that. Going from R+ to S+ in 5 seconds or less... effectively reducing visibility from whatever standard wind driven heavy rain is, to < 1/4 mile in less time it takes to take a breath, and that is absolutely no exaggeration at all.  And it wasn't like a wave or two of S+ that tried to R+ before finally committing to matters.  Nope... just thunk!  Rain over, period. 

17" by dawn...

And that's the path of least regret ..setting up the expectation that way (bold), while keeping in mind that a cold solution for lower elevations is out there as a potential only. 

It's just that over the years ... these odd balls come along and they're fascinating;  I'd just like to catch one of these bastards in the act rather than have it sneak up on Media as a fluke.  It does seem that the nature of the absurd anomaly tends to come along with a degree of blindness before hand. 

Actually...technically, December 1992 was of that ilk ...really.  I remember two days before that event, I was in History of American Lit, 102 (Elective) at UML, and this gal that sat normally adjacent to me, that I knew was a Meteorology major, was telling me in ominous refrain how they (as in the others up in the Weather Lab) weren't so certain that more snow would be involved with that sucker.  The forecast at the time for the Merrimack Valley area as in fact 40 F wind swept rain (or very close to that...) 

We all know how THAT worked out...   Actually though, the "fluke" part of it ...that blind aspect that tends to take a run-of-the-mill scenario and transforms it clearly into something highly unusual, came by way of drastically underestimating the power of dynamical cooling.  The storm just got to an intensity level, and it was figuratively like crossing some dynamical threshold and the atmophere couldn't stop the levi break -- so to speak.  The cold plumbed the critical thickness depths amid a huge UVM/thunderstorm spike, and man... I once wrote a long passage that others on the board told me once was novel worthy... I unfortunately, never saved the write, and it was lost at some point over at Eastern during upgrades well prior to the defunct of the site..   

Anyway, that's how it played out for northeastern Mass.  I know west along Rt 2 in the elevations of N. Worcester and perhaps the airport too, all went to snow sooner. I'm not sure what the actual 'casts were for those interior locations... But, I know that where the University of Mass/@ Lowell is, that mid evening flash flip from wind driven sheeting rain to wind whipped plaster of Paris snow was not very well handled.  at 8 pm, it was 40 mph gust in 38 F jungle drops going nearly sideways. I'm pretty sure there were probably cat's paws already in those big drops like that...  By 9:30, 5" accumulations spilled denizens of Bourgeois, Fox and ...can't recall that other dormitory next door, but they spilled out into the white froth for one of the most epic, spontaneous snow ball fights I have ever been part of. I mean, there were generals and legions in this sucker, replete with battle tactics and special ops incursions..; I think the cops might have even showed up and just parked the plasterized vehicles at angles, threw their hands and just cordoned off the war arena.   

Before all that erupted I was in the lobby of Fox Tower, and this guy comes in ...he was kind of histrionic in his demeanor. Once his persona sort of captured the attention of those immediately in observance of his arrival on the scene, he just goes, "Man, I just came from the Tingsburough Bridge, 10 miles from here, and it's a total blizzard."   At that moment in time, it was still just 38 F, big drops whipping by.  But something that sticks out in my memory as one of my fondest Meteorological moments in life would take place just ten or so minutes later. 

I took the elevator to the 8th floor to go ahead and maybe take in a couple of hours of Super Mario Bros before crashing, thinking that if the storm would evolve into snow, based on the evidences at hand it would do so per the course.. But, as the door parted and exposed the dark interior of my dorm, the room suddenly lit up in a fantastic bright blue-ish tinted pulse of light; immediately I surmised that it came from the window at the opposite end of the room.  "Was that -" no sooner could I get the question answered and the building subtly vibrated by the percussive blast of one helluva thunder clap.  It terminated away in fading oscillations as big rumbles do...and I rushed to the window, leaving the light off deliberately so I could lube up my geek should another blast occur. But something instead took place that was truly remarkable, if perhaps ...seemingly heralded forth by the lightning and thunder; across the vastness of the air above the well lit parking lot below, came a creamy curtain -- it was as though the sky had convexly recurved down to the ground beyond the distant edge of the visage; and the distant lights on the hillside that normally twinkled from some five miles away were gone entirely. Yet the air immediately over the parking lot below was still just sheeting rain by the lamp lights. Than, just quite literally in a matter of a few seconds, that recurved surface of white-ish, creamy over took the parking lot, and the street lamps were mere orbs of dimming.

To this day...I have never seen anything like that. Going from R+ to S+ in 5 seconds or less... effectively reducing visibility from whatever standard wind driven heavy rain is, to < 1/4 mile in less time it takes to take a breath, and that is absolutely no exaggeration at all.  And it wasn't like a wave or two of S+ that tried to R+ before finally committing to matters.  Nope... just thunk!  Rain over, period. 

17" by dawn...

Must have been one of your fondest memories.

:bag:

I took the elevator to the 8th floor to go ahead and maybe take in a couple of hours of Super Mario Bros before crashing, thinking that if the storm would evolve into snow, based on the evidences at hand it would do so per the course.. But, as the door parted and exposed the dark interior of my dorm, the room suddenly lit up in a fantastic bright blue-ish tinted pulse of light; immediately I surmised that it came from the window at the opposite end of the room.  "Was that -" no sooner could I get the question answered and the building subtly vibrated by the percussive blast of one helluva thunder clap.  It terminated away in fading oscillations as big rumbles do...and I rushed to the window, leaving the light off deliberately so I could lube up my geek should another blast occur. But something instead took place that was truly remarkable, if perhaps ...seemingly heralded forth by the lightning and thunder; across the vastness of the air above the well lit parking lot below, came a creamy curtain -- it was as though the sky had convexly recurved down to the ground beyond the distant edge of the visage; and the distant lights on the hillside that normally twinkled from some five miles away were gone entirely. Yet the air immediately over the parking lot below was still just sheeting rain by the lamp lights. Than, just quite literally in a matter of a few seconds, that recurved surface of white-ish, creamy over took the parking lot, and the street lamps were mere orbs of dimming.

17" by dawn...

'92 actually had a similar evolution in ORH, though not to the extreme "switch" that you experienced in Lowell. I was in Social Studies class being put to sleep by the dull drone of the public school radiator that blew out hot air...and this was also next to the window as that is where the radiators usually were situated. I remember just staring out into the school yard looking at the sheets of rain falling...this would have been about 11am in the morning. There was a hill beyond the school gorunds that was visible and rose about 150 feet above the ambient landscape. I first noticed the strangeness when a strong gust of wind shoved the sheets of rain against the window making for a brief interruption of the radiator noise...but the interesting part I noticed was the hill in the backround became obscured for perhaps 4-5 seconds, and then it was visible again, albeit not as clear as before this wind pulse.

Then perhaps another 2 minutes goes by and another wind pulse occurs and the hill becomes obscured again...but this time, unlike the previous pulse, I noticed a curtain of flakes appear from the far side of the fields and then worked there way right to the window. They were clearly waterlogged and barely surviving to the ground but they were definitely aggregates. The far hillside took longer this time to recover from it's obscured curtain, and when it did, it was barely visible.

Finally a third pulse of wind occurred perhaps another 3-4 minutes later and this time, the curtain of aggregates was much more pronounced and reduced the visibility on the school fields much lower than before. The difference is, when this wind pulse died off, the snowflakes did not retreat. They stayed. They didn't stay heavy right away, but they never relenquished back to plain rain...and then after another pulse or two, we were legit S+ never to look back. By 2pm at school dismissal, we had 3-4" of complete paste with the roads already a mess and perhaps 300 yard visibility.

But the wind pulses were very similar to what you described in Lowell...we just changed ptype a little more more gradually than you.

I suspect that in your case, about 1000 feet aloft had been snowing for quite sometime, but you just needed that final shot of UVV to erode the pesky early December boundary layer that often plagues the coastal plain in a marginal event. Once you did that, you were able to just "flip the switch" almost instantly. The storm by that point too I think was precipitating heavier than at just about any other point in the storm. Friday evening was certainly the most dynamical portion of that event.

'92 actually had a similar evolution in ORH, though not to the extreme "switch" that you experienced in Lowell. I was in Social Studies class being put to sleep by the dull drone of the public school radiator that blew out hot air...and this was also next to the window as that is where the radiators usually were situated. I remember just staring out into the school yard looking at the sheets of rain falling...this would have been about 11am in the morning. There was a hill beyond the school gorunds that was visible and rose about 150 feet above the ambient landscape. I first noticed the strangeness when a strong gust of wind shoved the sheets of rain against the window making for a brief interruption of the radiator noise...but the interesting part I noticed was the hill in the backround became obscured for perhaps 4-5 seconds, and then it was visible again, albeit not as clear as before this wind pulse.

Then perhaps another 2 minutes goes by and another wind pulse occurs and the hill becomes obscured again...but this time, unlike the previous pulse, I noticed a curtain of flakes appear from the far side of the fields and then worked there way right to the window. They were clearly waterlogged and barely surviving to the ground but they were definitely aggregates. The far hillside took longer this time to recover from it's obscured curtain, and when it did, it was barely visible.

Finally a third pulse of wind occurred perhaps another 3-4 minutes later and this time, the curtain of aggregates was much more pronounced and reduced the visibility on the school fields much lower than before. The difference is, when this wind pulse died off, the snowflakes did not retreat. They stayed. They didn't stay heavy right away, but they never relenquished back to plain rain...and then after another pulse or two, we were legit S+ never to look back. By 2pm at school dismissal, we had 3-4" of complete paste with the roads already a mess and perhaps 300 yard visibility.

But the wind pulses were very similar to what you described in Lowell...we just changed ptype a little more more gradually than you.

I suspect that in your case, about 1000 feet aloft had been snowing for quite sometime, but you just needed that final shot of UVV to erode the pesky early December boundary layer that often plagues the coastal plain in a marginal event. Once you did that, you were able to just "flip the switch" almost instantly. The storm by that point too I think was precipitating heavier than at just about any other point in the storm. Friday evening was certainly the most dynamical portion of that event.

Oh absolutely ... in fact I can confirm this in my own nerdly way.  

At about 3:30 pm, I was walking ...actually, leaning back across the University Ave bridge en route to Fox'.  Huge cold drops, carried along by the gusting winds, pelted the side of my face and NAPE (nyuk nyuk), causing me to turn my head down at an angle like all the other passer byes.  At one instant, despite the discomforting salvo of bitter conditions I still stopped to study the sky.  

Now this is going to seem like geek to the 5th power, but... I have often done this in marginal cold scenarios ... studied the sky to see if the snow was visible aloft. It's a trick I learned growing up around the Lakes and watching snow in blue sky next to Lake enhance winter convection clouds. You can just barrrrrely make it out if you. Anyway, even slate gray skies in steady rain with lowering freezing levels ...you can sort of see the snow field.  The sky that faithful day was not only discernible in this regard, but it undulated by... I mean, it was snowing REALLY f hard just off the deck by late afternoon, even as far E as Lowell. 

It's also interesting you mentioned the final UVM push like that, because as I hinted, ...to say more precisely that is what I've always thought that lightning and thunder that immediately preceded it was -- and as the UVM at the convective sort of core swept over, ... boom.

What happened to Scott -

It never really changed over in his area despite forecasts updating to change over (after much of E MA north of him already did)...I think he was in Marshfield at the time...in fact, they issued a blizzard warning down into PYM county by Saturday morning. But all they got was some slughy accumulation while 15 miles northwest probably had a foot or more of blue paste...even down in SE MA. Like the Foxboro area probably had over a foot.

It never really changed over in his area despite forecasts updating to change over (after much of E MA north of him already did)...I think he was in Marshfield at the time...in fact, they issued a blizzard warning down into PYM county by Saturday morning. But all they got was some slughy accumulation while 15 miles northwest probably had a foot or more of blue paste...even down in SE MA. Like the Foxboro area probably had over a foot.

Ah ahahhahahaha

Om g - beautifully painful.  Man... that tops anything I've ever heard opined by Ray.   

Wow.  That's got to be the worst sensible weather tragedy I've ever heard - how marvelous.  I don't think Count Rugen could have drafted up a deeper violating b-bang.

But you know exactly what happened...  Drag and gang were scrambling and had no choice... So they were like unwitting co-conspirators in the targeted banging -- they just got 'im to bend right over.   haha

Annyway, that's all wonderful homage and sentimental journeys.

Folks should think about a cold pattern with some storm chances, and nothing more.  A cool departure storm post April 15th is still just a 45 F rain ;)  This is the more likely outcome.

It's more like, 'if' there were any chance at all for snow ...this is just sort of a set that would tend to promote that.  

I was in Brockton...even worse. I moved to Marshfield in 1997. 

The worst was 12-18" expected. Up until then..18" was an amount  I couldn't even fathom. I was so excited...just completely lost in euphoria. Even my parents were pumping me up telling me that this would be a storm I've never seen before. 

We changed to snow predawn Saturday and it pounded paste until mid morning before some sort of a dryslot and marine layer moved back in with basically drizzle for hours. I couldn't believe it. I knew I wouldn't change back. To say I was devastated was putting it lightly. 5 miles away as the crow flies had over a foot. I had maybe 6" of kaka.

The only reason I'm bothering to post this image ...considering the daffy range, is because of all that erstwhile teleconnection discussion/support...  But here we see a deep layer "50/50" type vortex, and over laying -NAO height distribution.  Notice the S/W out west that then is poised to come east... 

f168.gif

Leech Hall, Tip

I have foggy recollections of the 12/92 event in Lowell (I lived on Sarah Ave near Mark O at the time) and barely being able to get to the liquor store and back...pushin gout cars.

Oct 2011 reminds me of that in some ways (not met ways, but media-wise and impacts)

OH, right - 

but what's a 'gout' car

Of course we get a -NAO now. I know there is the "final warming" that happens in the Spring often, but setting up for possible disaster start to May.

The best hope to recoup some entertainment out of it -- namely, to catch an anomalously late and strong snow event after a record breaking year and the such... 

But otherwise, yeah...the higher probability result in all this is a case of the spring schits.   

Archived